• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The widow's offering of all she had....

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Basic Beliefs
Probably in a simulation
Mark 12:41–44
Jesus sat down across from the place where people put their temple offerings. He watched the crowd putting their money into the offering boxes. Many rich people threw large amounts into them. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins. They were worth only a few pennies. Jesus asked his disciples to come to him. He said, “What I’m about to tell you is true. That poor widow has put more into the offering box than all the others. They all gave a lot because they are rich. But she gave even though she is poor. She put in everything she had. That was all she had to live on.”

Luke 21:1–4
As Jesus looked up, he saw rich people putting their gifts into the temple offering boxes. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “What I’m about to tell you is true,” Jesus said. “That poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these other people gave a lot because they are rich. But even though she is poor, she put in everything. She had nothing left to live on.”

A lepton was the smallest and least valuable coin in circulation in Judea, worth about six minutes of an average daily wage

So two of those coins would be 20% of an hourly wage... so if the average wage was $15/hr those coins would be worth $3....

I don't think her last $3 is that much of a sacrifice.... someone's last $100 is another matter....

Also I don't think giving an offering of all of your money is a good idea..... (though God says to love him with all your heart, mind, soul and strength)

I have a lepton from that time period that someone gave me as wedding present. At least, I think I do; the Holy Land numismatic trade is pretty dodgy. In any case, they're worth about $30 now, $25 of which, I'm sure, is down to their being mentioned in this verse. As for my local temple, I'm they would accept the offering, but would almost certainly prefer I donated $30 directly.

Your mathematics is just as good as your theology.
???? One of those coins is 6 minutes so two is 12 minutes = 1/5 or 20% of an hour of an average wage...
The reference you quoted said it was 6 minutes labor out of a day, not an hour. For a better take on Biblical labor relations, consult the Parable of the Vineyard.

As for your theology, Jesus is pointing out this woman put her obligation to the temple above her own welfare, while the rich man who gave much more, did not suffer even a minor inconvenience.

Your mathematics is just as good as your theology.
???? One of those coins is 6 minutes so two is 12 minutes = 1/5 or 20% of an hour of an average wage...
The reference you quoted said it was 6 minutes labor out of a day, not an hour. For a better take on Biblical labor relations, consult the Parable of the Vineyard.
Ok let's assume they work 20 hours in a day and get $200 ($10/hr). 12 minutes = 1 / (5 * 20) = $2.
Or let's assume they work 5 hours in a day and get $50 ($10/hr).... 12 minutes = 1 / (5 * 5) = $2
As for your theology, Jesus is pointing out this woman put her obligation to the temple above her own welfare, while the rich man who gave much more, did not suffer even a minor inconvenience.
I think her clothes, sandals, and other belongings would be worth more than 12 minutes of the average wage.... so she didn't really give up everything she had....

BTW if a person went into debt to give an offering they'd technically have given more than they had..... (I think)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom