• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

‘This guy doesn’t know anything’: the inside story of Trump’s shambolic transition team

EvoUK

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Ok, so this article in the Guardian by Michael Lewis (author of Moneyball and The Big Short) will surprise basically nobody (but I may beat Phands to an anti-Trump thread!).

It's a pretty terrifying read though

Christie volunteered himself for the job: head of the Donald Trump presidential transition team. “It’s the next best thing to being president,” he told friends. “You get to plan the presidency.” He went to see Trump about it. Trump said he didn’t want a presidential transition team. Why did anyone need to plan anything before he actually became president? It’s legally required, said Christie. Trump asked where the money was going to come from to pay for the transition team. Christie explained that Trump could either pay for it himself or take it out of campaign funds. Trump didn’t want to pay for it himself. He didn’t want to take it out of campaign funds, either, but he agreed, grudgingly, that Christie should go ahead and raise a separate fund to pay for his transition team. “But not too much!” he said.

[...]

The first time Trump paid attention to any of this was when he read about it in the newspaper. The story revealed that Trump’s very own transition team had raised several million dollars to pay the staff. The moment he saw it, Trump called Steve Bannon, the chief executive of his campaign, from his office on the 26th floor of Trump Tower, and told him to come immediately to his residence, many floors above. Bannon stepped off the elevator to find Christie seated on a sofa, being hollered at. Trump was apoplectic, yelling: You’re stealing my money! You’re stealing my fucking money! What the fuck is this?

[...]

Trump was going to handle the transition more or less by himself. Not even Bannon thought this was a good idea. “I was fucking nervous as shit,” Bannon later told friends. “I go, ‘Holy fuck, this guy [Trump] doesn’t know anything. And he doesn’t give a shit.’”

They were about to take control of the portfolio of existential risks managed by the US government. Only they weren’t. On the morning after the election the hundreds of people who had prepared to brief the incoming Trump administration sat waiting. A day became a week and a week became a month … and no one showed up. The parking spots that had been set aside for Trump’s people remained empty, and the briefing books were never opened. You could walk into almost any department of the US government and hear people asking the same question: where were these people who were meant to be running the place?

[...]

Only on inauguration day did they flood into the building, but the people who showed up had no idea why they were there or what they were meant to do. Trump sent, among others, a long-haul truck driver, a telephone company clerk, a gas company meter reader, a country club cabana attendant, a Republican National Committee intern and the owner of a scented candle company. One of the CVs listed the new appointee’s only skill as “a pleasant demeanor”.

All these people had two things in common. They were Trump loyalists. And they knew nothing whatsoever about the job they suddenly found themselves in. A new American experiment was underway.

I can't wait to share this in a conservative forum and watch the excuses & hand waving :D

I wish that were even remotely surprising. It was reported on a little at the time. Another asspect (see what I did there?) of it was all the normal positions that are still unfilled that are expected to be appointed by the incoming administration.

(but I may beat Phands to an anti-Trump thread!).

I take that as a compliment! :D

I should also note that I post about trumpo's utter vileness often, because it should be remarked upon and because I am also from the UK, and find it incredible that the US allowed this to happen to itself.

I should also note that I post about trumpo's utter vileness often, because it should be remarked upon and because I am also from the UK, and find it incredible that the US allowed this to happen to itself.

We're not exactly covering ourselves in glory at the moment, which I'm rather aware of. We should start a Brexit thread so I can offload about the abject stupidity.

I can't wait to share this in a conservative forum and watch the excuses & hand waving :D
Good luck with that. Trump supporters make partisanship look like betrayal. It is a cult at this point.

I wish that were even remotely surprising. It was reported on a little at the time. Another asspect (see what I did there?) of it was all the normal positions that are still unfilled that are expected to be appointed by the incoming administration.

Well sure. Why take the time and effort to accomplish anything when you can just have FOX News lie to your base and tell them that you already accomplished everything? Taking the time and effort to actually fill those vacant positions and accomplish something is highly inefficient.

We should start a Brexit thread so I can offload about the abject stupidity.

Better be quick....the latest rumours are that Brexit is in doubt right now.
Can it be cancelled legally? And can Boris Johnson be ejected into the sun... legally?

There are calls for another referendum. However, article 50 has already been triggered, and although there is no specific language in it preventing reversal, that is a matter of legal dispute.

I know, I wish we'd gotten a leader with a brain, and true principles, who gained their office by a majority vote rather than an organizational technicality...

Like Theresa May!

I know, I wish we'd gotten a leader with a brain, and true principles, who gained their office by a majority vote rather than an organizational technicality...

Like Theresa May!

Touchee´ May is vile, and like trumpo, unelected.

Like Theresa May!

Touchee´ May is vile, and like trumpo, unelected.

*puts hand up as a citizen of a country without a majority elected leader*

Having said that, I think it is pretty presumptuous to believe that one person and only one person can navigate the governance of millions. I've always voted towards an ideology and not an individual. You pair up Usain Bolt with a bunch of quadriplegics, that rugby team is still going to suck.

Probably, but not without considerable difficulty...

Who cares about "legally"? What matters is whether you can get away with it.
Takes less delta V to just eject him from the solar system.

Just sayin'..... ;)

Disagree. You can hit the sun for cost of a burn to Jupiter followed by a gravity maneuver.

I do have to say this as someone who didn't vote for him, loathed him from well before the elections, never watched his stupid television program or read his books or stayed in his branded hotels, hated him for his treatment of women and minorities - and still didn't know the half of it with him...

Even I never thought it would be this bad.

Somehow, even though I literally cried - huge sobbing tears - on the night of the election, and woke up every day for days after thinking I had simply had a nightmare... somehow I still never thought it would be as bad as it is.

But once the election was over, what exactly would you have us do that we are not already doing?

I do have to say this as someone who didn't vote for him, loathed him from well before the elections, never watched his stupid television program or read his books or stayed in his branded hotels, hated him for his treatment of women and minorities - and still didn't know the half of it with him...

Even I never thought it would be this bad.

Somehow, even though I literally cried - huge sobbing tears - on the night of the election, and woke up every day for days after thinking I had simply had a nightmare... somehow I still never thought it would be as bad as it is.

But once the election was over, what exactly would you have us do that we are not already doing?

I was on the Manhattan subway that morning...people were openly crying. New York has always hated and despised trumpo.

Probably, but not without considerable difficulty...

Who cares about "legally"? What matters is whether you can get away with it.
Takes less delta V to just eject him from the solar system.

Just sayin'..... ;)

Disagree. You can hit the sun for cost of a burn to Jupiter followed by a gravity maneuver.
"followed by a gravity maneuver" is just another way of saying more delta V.

Do the calculcations.

Argue with lpetrich if you want to. https://www.secularcafe.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38933&p=675025&hilit=delta+v#p675025

"followed by a gravity maneuver" is just another way of saying more delta V.

Do the calculcations.

Argue with lpetrich if you want to. https://www.secularcafe.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38933&p=675025&hilit=delta+v#p675025

A gravity maneuver changes your velocity but doesn't cost fuel and isn't usually considered delta-V.

As for his calculations--he's talking about the simple case where you just burn your rocket. In that case I agree, ejection is easier than hitting the sun.

Back
Top Bottom