• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tokyo Olympics 2021

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
This will be the oddest of games, but I'll still be watching.

Been following some of the recent meets, and I am hoping to see performances like this.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRDzD1UGTmk[/YOUTUBE]

But dreading the whole thing may be more of a travesty. Sha'Carri has an an open invitation to come over and share some tasty edibles to deal with it.

Men’s bike race starts at 10 PM local.

I hate global sporting events in eastern Asia!

I very much expect to see a lot of that.

IMG_6126.PNG

The degree of restriction of video coverage in sport is becoming absurd.

I am vaguely interested, but I am not going to spend money just to watch sports on TV, and I am certainly not going to waste my life seeking out non-geoblocked streaming or video services.

Presumably there are enough people in the world who care enough to open their wallets, and the loss of value to broadcasters who pay handsomely for their exclusive rights is not enough to worry them. Yet.

Men’s Cycling

Richard Carapaz pulls off an escape with 30ish km left to win the gold, which is awesome for Ecuador.

American took off with him but fell off pace but still finished sixth or seventh.

Pogacar settles for bronze.

Awesome event.

I very much expect to see a lot of that.

The degree of restriction of video coverage in sport is becoming absurd.

I am vaguely interested, but I am not going to spend money just to watch sports on TV, and I am certainly not going to waste my life seeking out non-geoblocked streaming or video services.

Presumably there are enough people in the world who care enough to open their wallets, and the loss of value to broadcasters who pay handsomely for their exclusive rights is not enough to worry them. Yet.

You should be able to watch it on over the air TV. And I think the 7plus app has it for free.

$15 for a month of Sling and CNBC (well the news) addon gives me pretty much access to everything in the States.

That moment when you realize you only won silver in the women’s cycling road race because you lost track of one of the breakaway riders.

Women's 400 meter freestyle

Katie Ledecky's swim which was the fourth fastest ever in history wasn't enough to beat Titmus who finished a great last 100 meter pace for gold. Titmus swam her PR and second fastest time ever.

A bit disappointing, but really these two are giants of this race. Kudos around.

14 year old Canadian was holding onto third but the Chinese swimmer held a better late pace for the bronze.

Have a few questions in the email bag that I thought I'd answer.

Q: Jimmy, I keep seeing ROC in the standings. Who is that?
A: ROC is an exception to a rule.

Q: What rule?
A: The one against massive violations of a nation wide doping scandal.

Q: Oh... you are talking about Russia.
A: That wasn't a question.

Q: Are you talking about Russia?
A: Yes. ROC or Russian Olympic Committee is the small group of over 300 athletes from Russia that aren't allowed to participate for their nation due to a doping scandal system that made Cold War era doping seem... well, okay, it isn't that bad, but still. In general, Russia violated almost every rule in the book in doping, and as a result, Russia is barred from competing in the Olympics*.

Q: What is with the asterisk?
A: Well, that says they can compete, as long as they haven't been caught cheating. And they compete under the abbreviation of ROC. And if they win a medal, the Russian flag doesn't go up, no Russian anthem. It is complete BS.

How did skateboarding become an Olympic sport? A 13 year old just got a gold medal for sliding down some railings.

Can we get other hobbies into the Olympics? How about juggling? That takes physical skill.

Is bowling in the Olympic yet? If not, why not? Golf is there now. And three on three basketball for some reason.

3x3 basketball is weirder than skateboarding, because at least I can say skateboarding exists, regardless if it is (or isn't) an Olympic sport.

3 on 3 basketball? That's what you play in someone's driveway. Other than FIBA apparently trying to promote it, this version of basketball isn't really adopted anywhere, making its inclusion into the Olympics bizarre.

And while we are ranting, I can't wait for the Men's gymnastics to be over because I am apparently mentally incapable of telling one routine's difficulty from another. Women's gymnastics, I can get, but men's... all I can say is if a routine has been performed, and generally if anything terribly wrong happened.

Brisbane in Australia won the right to host the 3032 Olympics.
Whee.

It too expensive to host the Olympics now. To many sports.
Why events such as soccer, golf, tennis etc. which have successful competitions outside of the Olympics need to be included?
How will a city/country without a coast line host the surfing?

Have a few questions in the email bag that I thought I'd answer.

Q: Jimmy, I keep seeing ROC in the standings. Who is that?
A: ROC is an exception to a rule.

Q: What rule?
A: The one against massive violations of a nation wide doping scandal.

Q: Oh... you are talking about Russia.
A: That wasn't a question.

Q: Are you talking about Russia?
A: Yes. ROC or Russian Olympic Committee is the small group of over 300 athletes from Russia that aren't allowed to participate for their nation due to a doping scandal system that made Cold War era doping seem... well, okay, it isn't that bad, but still. In general, Russia violated almost every rule in the book in doping, and as a result, Russia is barred from competing in the Olympics*.

Q: What is with the asterisk?
A: Well, that says they can compete, as long as they haven't been caught cheating. And they compete under the abbreviation of ROC. And if they win a medal, the Russian flag doesn't go up, no Russian anthem. It is complete BS.

Dang, I didn't realize that! I had assumed that ROC was "republic of China" or Taiwan! I was going to say that it's surprising to see how well Taiwan was doing.

Watching Street Skateboarding and while it is less athletic than I expected, the risk of injury from the metal railings by a slip is scary as hell.

Katie Ledecky did her thing for the 1500 meter race. I was amazed at how she swam. She swam like I did for triathlon, pretty much dragging the legs behind her (for me to save them for the cycling and running). Except she was pulling her body along at a much much faster pace. I want to say I swam a mile in 30 minutes (in a pool). I don't remember how much the 1.2 mile open swim I did was.

I never got to the point of getting the S-curve pattern down. Swimming is easy, swimming competitively is a lot of practice just on the form!

There's considerable debate on Facebook regarding the choice of mascot for the 2032 Brisbane games, with Barry the Bin Chicken as the early favourite (despite both Mascot and Bin Chicken being more commonly associated with New South Wales, whose largest airport is in the suburb of Mascot, and whose state Premier is a bin chicken).

Katie Ledecky did her thing for the 1500 meter race. I was amazed at how she swam. She swam like I did for triathlon, pretty much dragging the legs behind her (for me to save them for the cycling and running). Except she was pulling her body along at a much much faster pace. I want to say I swam a mile in 30 minutes (in a pool). I don't remember how much the 1.2 mile open swim I did was.

I never got to the point of getting the S-curve pattern down. Swimming is easy, swimming competitively is a lot of practice just on the form!

Yeah, that was interesting to me as well that she dragged her legs at times. I can swim like an olympian!

Also, in the all time gold medal count for US women, she should get more credit. Jenny Thompson and Allyson Felix and Amy Van Dyken got most or all their medals in relays. Ledecky only has one relay gold.

$15 for a month of Sling and CNBC (well the news) addon gives me pretty much access to everything in the States.

You can also watch on the Peacock app. I watched the opening ceremonies there because forgot to record it.

Shoutout to Hiromi, first time I've seen jazz piano at an event like this.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZgY_MZisrI[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom