• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Claims Republicans are "the majority"

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
Actually, he didn't say "Republicans", he said "we", which is almost always self-referential when he says it.
Trump wins the CPAC straw poll as attendees clamor for him to run again

dotard said:
"We are truly being scorned and disrespected all over the world. Never forget that the radical left is not the majority in this country. We are the majority and it's not even close"

And the crowd cheered. He "thinks" (says) the invisible voter fraud was so very massive that losing by more than 7 million votes would have been winning by at least that amount.
Of the approximately 15 million votes out of which he claims to have been cheated, he has found exactly zero. But his followers are such idiots, they still believe him and the people they elected locally are now obliged to mouth the same lying words or lose their jobs.

If the current massive voter fraud (suppression, gerrymandering etc) currently undertaken by the Republicanazi Party is wildly successful, the 2022 elections may be close in overall popular vote, Dem vs Rep. But the Repugs will easily recapture both chambers of Congress as well as more State governments, even if Dem votes are the majority. States that narrowly go blue will be overturned by State legislatures that have newly empowered themselves to negate the will of the voters. And that will be the end of American Democracy, regardless of what then happens in 2024.
This two bit conman scumbag will have single tiny-handedly destroyed our nation.

ideologyhunter

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
There is a way out. That is if the old constituents of the civil rights movement truly seize this as a crisis point and go tong-and-hatchet on the vote suppressers, which means, overwhelm them at the polls. The courts certainly won't help, in fact, SCOTUS has announced itself on the side of suppression. DOJ is therefore almost hamstrung. If this isn't defeated by exhortation and registration and sheer outrage at the conservative overlords, then what you describe above is, at least to some extent, valid. And maybe to the full extent. Republicanism is madness.

untermensche

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
magic mood ring
Somebody should make a Trump dictionary. If they can stomach it.

"Not even close" means for Trump "I made it up".

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
There is a way out. That is if the old constituents of the civil rights movement truly seize this as a crisis point and go tong-and-hatchet on the vote suppressers, which means, overwhelm them at the polls. The courts certainly won't help, in fact, SCOTUS has announced itself on the side of suppression. DOJ is therefore almost hamstrung.

Zackly. An overwhelming response at the polls would be the only way out.

If this isn't defeated by exhortation and registration and sheer outrage at the conservative overlords, then what you describe above is, at least to some extent, valid. And maybe to the full extent. Republicanism is madness.

What I fear in particular is that the overwhelming response at the polls does materialize, and the key State legislatures cry out in unison -
"See? THIS is why we gave ourselves the power to overturn bogus results, and that's what we're going to do!"
That would be even worse than if the suppression efforts paid off with actual vote count-based "victories".
But in either case, the chances of preserving (creating?) a representative democracy are slim and none.

"Not even close" means for Trump "I made it up".

As does "a lot of people are saying...", and "everybody knows" and "nobody knew" and "believe me" and "trust me" and... every other possible qualifying prefix. Since almost everything emitted from his pie hole is a lie, it doesn't matter how he tries to couch it in advance - it's 100% pure bullshit.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
There is a way out. That is if the old constituents of the civil rights movement truly seize this as a crisis point and go tong-and-hatchet on the vote suppressers, which means, overwhelm them at the polls. The courts certainly won't help, in fact, SCOTUS has announced itself on the side of suppression. DOJ is therefore almost hamstrung. If this isn't defeated by exhortation and registration and sheer outrage at the conservative overlords, then what you describe above is, at least to some extent, valid. And maybe to the full extent. Republicanism is madness.

This is pretty much what I told a friend of mine this morning. She is worried sick that the Republicans will be able to overturn a close election and/or discourage lots of voters from even trying to vote. I told her that we must have the same attitude in the midterms as we did when Trump ran last year. I like to put it the way some of the Democratic WaPo commenters did last fall...."If I have to, I will crawl through glass to vote".

The problem in Georgia has always been that we've had too many apathetic voters. Trump changed that. Hopefully those same Democrats who have skipped voting in the midterms in the past, will show up next fall. Warnock has already raised over 7 million. If Stacey runs, that will help motivate people here to vote.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
She is worried sick that the Republicans will be able to overturn a close election

I am even more worried that they will be able to overturn elections regardless of the margin. If the orange oracle says that losing by more than 7 million votes means the losers are "in the majority and it's not even close", it's reasonable to assume that the greater their margin of defeat, the more acceptable it will be to them to throw out the electoral results.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
The majority of idiots.

Mathematically, using the Bell Curve, 33.3% of the country are "idiots", so the "majority of idiots" would be about 17% of the country. That's about 54 Million American idiots.

Really?
Got some evidence?

Or is this just another liberal piece of bullshit that TFT that applaud you for posting?
Tom

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The majority of idiots.

Mathematically, using the Bell Curve, 33.3% of the country are "idiots", so the "majority of idiots" would be about 17% of the country. That's about 54 Million American idiots.

Epic statistics fail.

Idiot = IQ of 0 to 25. That's 5 standard deviations below the mean, although I seriously doubt the curve is properly bell shaped at that point.

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
The majority of idiots.

Really?
Got some evidence?

Or is this just another liberal piece of bullshit that TFT that applaud you for posting?
Tom
IQ is normalized so that 100 is the mean/median. The standard deviation is typically normalized to be 15 or so. For a "bell curve" (i.e. normally distributed distribution), roughly 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean. Which means roughly 32% fall outside the mean, 16% on each side.

So, if one defines "an idiot" as having an IQ that is more than one standard deviation below the mean, then by statistical definition, roughly 16% are idiots.

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
The majority of idiots.

Epic statistics fail.

Idiot = IQ of 0 to 25. That's 5 standard deviations below the mean, although I seriously doubt the curve is properly bell shaped at that point.
Actually, historically an imbecile is between 25 to 49. Historically, there is no use of the term idiot and IQ scores.

So, it really depends on what one means by "idiot".

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Epic statistics fail.

Actually, historically an imbecile is between 25 to 49. Historically, there is no use of the term idiot and IQ scores.

So, it really depends on what one means by "idiot".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbecile

article said:
It included people with an IQ of 26–50, between "idiot" (IQ of 0–25) and "moron" (IQ of 51–70)

ideologyhunter

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
Remember, Trump's math skills are on a par with his spelling skills: those of a lazy-ass 7th grader who does book reports by reading the first and last pages of a book.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
I'm wondering idly if Trump can spell 'idiot'.

I've got $20 that his response will be, "Person. Man. Woman. Camera. TV".

I just noticed something about this list. Not only do the words go together, but the order is most "natural." (Shuffle it to TV, Woman, Camera, Person, Man and I think it would be harder. TV, Cricket, Camera, April, Man would be harder still.)

Is it possible the examiner chose an easy list to suck up to the CinC? Or that the list that CinC repeated publicly was not in the tested order?

untermensche

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
magic mood ring
US intelligence does not exist on a normal bell curve.

It exists on a curve severely skewed to the left.

Many more idiots than reasonable people.

Capitalism needs many many idiots to do the hard work and creates them.

T.G.G. Moogly

Formerly Joedad
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
The majority of idiots.
Maybe he likes Bolshevik. Literally means one of the majority. The main strategy of the Bolsheviks was to recruit peasants and uneducated workers to join their "revolution." They never were the majority except only in name.

Trumpeviks.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I'm wondering idly if Trump can spell 'idiot'.

I just noticed something about this list. Not only do the words go together, but the order is most "natural." (Shuffle it to TV, Woman, Camera, Person, Man and I think it would be harder. TV, Cricket, Camera, April, Man would be harder still.)

Is it possible the examiner chose an easy list to suck up to the CinC? Or that the list that CinC repeated publicly was not in the tested order?

I don't think order matters.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
patooka said:

Oh, I am sure it does in this case. At least 20 of patooka's dollars worth! :D

When Trump bragged about remembering those words, he was not remembering the very words that were in the test. In his typical manner he spouted the first five words he could think of, and of course what came out was a ticker tape of Trump's tiny mind. At any given moment, Trump is fixated on attacking another person, usually a woman. If not, then a man. In either event, he wants a camera and hopes it is on TV.

The words that are offered in that test are purposely not co-related and are certainly not a list of the very things that preoccupy Trump's petty little mind.
"Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV" (the order trump spouted - pay up, patooka!) sounds like an idiot's version of the follow-on word game in our humor forum. More likely he was asked to remember something like "forest, calcium, outlet, volume, strawberry" - and there's a good chance he forgot one or two of them and failed the test, given his insistence that he scored incredibly highly.

(In fact a perfect score is what is expected from that test and anything less would be grounds to suspect dementia in an otherwise normally functioning individual).

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Oh, I am sure it does in this case. At least 20 of patooka's dollars worth! :D

When Trump bragged about remembering those words, he was not remembering the very words that were in the test. In his typical manner he spouted the first five words he could think of, and of course what came out was a ticker tape of Trump's tiny mind. At any given moment, Trump is fixated on attacking another person, usually a woman. If not, then a man. In either event, he wants a camera and hopes it is on TV.

The words that are offered in that test are purposely not co-related and are certainly not a list of the very things that preoccupy Trump's petty little mind.
"Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV" (the order trump spouted - pay up, patooka!) sounds like an idiot's version of the follow-on word game in our humor forum. More likely he was asked to remember something like "forest, calcium, outlet, volume, strawberry" - and there's a good chance he forgot one or two of them and failed the test, given his insistence that he scored incredibly highly.

(In fact a perfect score is what is expected from that test and anything less would be grounds to suspect dementia in an otherwise normally functioning individual).

Good point. I'd never thought about it whether the list was right or not.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa

I'm not sure you're correct here. If it were five things that preoccupy Trump the list would be, "Me, Me, Ivanka, Antifa, Election".

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...

I'm not sure you're correct here. If it were five things that preoccupy Trump the list would be, "Me, Me, Ivanka, Antifa, Election".
And antifa and the election are only on the list for the way they interfere with everyone ELSE being preoccupied with Me, Me, Me.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
The majority of idiots.
Maybe he likes Bolshevik. Literally means one of the majority. The main strategy of the Bolsheviks was to recruit peasants and uneducated workers to join their "revolution." They never were the majority except only in name.

Trumpeviks.
Bolsheviks were called that because they were a majority during party split. It's nothing more than a meaningless designation.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
I don't think order matters [in the Montreal Cognitive Assessment Test for Dementia].

You're right. I really thought I'd read about an extra point for getting the order right; I think there's some flexibility: doctors may just use the "official" test as a guide.

In any event, the official(?) name of the test suggests Trump should not be proud he was given the test at all!

https://www.healthgrades.com/right-care/dementia/the-moca-montreal-cognitive-assessment-test-for-dementia said:
Overall, if you earn 26 to 30 points on the MoCA, you are considered to have normal cognitive abilities (the average score for a control group of non-impaired people taking the test is 27.2). President Trump says he earned a perfect 30 points, which is uncommon. Usually only eight out of 90 people (with an average age of 73) score this highly, according to Dr. Nasreddine, MoCA Test, Inc.

A score of 19 to 25 indicates mild cognitive impairment. Scores of between 11 and 21 suggest mild Alzheimer's disease. There is some overlap between this type of dementia and mild cognitive impairment, reflecting the difficulty in using a single test to make this type of diagnosis.

Strictly speaking, a score of 31 is possible. High-school dropouts are given +1 extra as compensation.

marc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, skeptic, nerd

I always thought he wasn't repeating the words from the test, instead drawing from what was in front of him. Man (interviewing him), Woman (someone off camera), Camera (the thing pointed at him), TV (hey, I'm on TV!)

T.G.G. Moogly

Formerly Joedad
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
The majority of idiots.

Trumpeviks.
Bolsheviks were called that because they were a majority during party split. It's nothing more than a meaningless designation.
Then they should have called themselves the Meaningless Designation Party.

I like the word Trumpnik. It's perfectly explanatory. The Trumpnik Party. It works.

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Gallup polling - Part affiliation

2021 Jun 1‑18

Republican - 24%
Independent - 44%
Democratic - 30%

Not exactly a majority, now is it? And Independents seem to be more democratic leaning than Republican.

LoAmmo

Basic Beliefs
atheist

2021 Jun 1‑18

Republican - 24%
Independent - 44%
Democratic - 30%

Not exactly a majority, now is it? And Independents seem to be more democratic leaning than Republican.

I think there are far fewer "true" Independents (Not to pull a "No True Scotsman" fallacy) than is implied in affiliation polls like the above.

There's almost zero "centrist" ground left for Conservatives to cling to; those Righties who in ordinary circumstances would prefer to live there. Trump has codified this extremism-or-nothing mindset in which you're either a Fake News, Climate-Change-Denying, Stolen Election bleach-drinker, or you're not really in the GOP tent. The Left has much more middle ground open, and none of that same "stigma" attached to standing in it.

When I see "Independent" in a poll like this, I tend not to imagine a truly open/undecided/impartial voter, who's equally likely to vote for any Republican as any Democrat, (although some of those obviously exist.) I just don't think THOSE people are anything close to being 44% of the electorate, even though these percentages come from self-identification as such.

I think *some* non-zero percent of those "Independents" are Conservatives who were (or are) somewhat embarrassed by Trump, and express some buyer's remorse by claiming Independent rather than fly a flag that Trump has highjacked. I similarly think some percentage are Liberals who are a bit turned off by the extremism of the AOC/Squad wing of the Democratic Party, and find the center a way to temper their support of that.

And surely some are simply so turned off by the whole shit show of our obviously dysfunctional, broken government that they can't in good conscience line up in either of its two branches.

I just don't believe that the biggest chunk of voters truly has no particular dog in this hunt.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

2021 Jun 1‑18

Republican - 24%
Independent - 44%
Democratic - 30%

I think there are far fewer "true" Independents (Not to pull a "No True Scotsman" fallacy) than is implied in affiliation polls like the above.

There's almost zero "centrist" ground left for Conservatives to cling to; those Righties who in ordinary circumstances would prefer to live there. Trump has codified this extremism-or-nothing mindset in which you're either a Fake News, Climate-Change-Denying, Stolen Election bleach-drinker, or you're not really in the GOP tent. The Left has much more middle ground open, and none of that same "stigma" attached to standing in it.

When I see "Independent" in a poll like this, I tend not to imagine a truly open/undecided/impartial voter, who's equally likely to vote for any Republican as any Democrat, (although some of those obviously exist.) I just don't think THOSE people are anything close to being 44% of the electorate, even though these percentages come from self-identification as such.

I think *some* non-zero percent of those "Independents" are Conservatives who were (or are) somewhat embarrassed by Trump, and express some buyer's remorse by claiming Independent rather than fly a flag that Trump has highjacked. I similarly think some percentage are Liberals who are a bit turned off by the extremism of the AOC/Squad wing of the Democratic Party, and find the center a way to temper their support of that.

And surely some are simply so turned off by the whole shit show of our obviously dysfunctional, broken government that they can't in good conscience line up in either of its two branches.

I just don't believe that the biggest chunk of voters truly has no particular dog in this hunt.

Independents are for sure a mixed back but a few posts up I provided some charts that combine Democrat leaning independents and Republican leaning independents. I think that it provides a better though not perfect picture.

I'm an independent but I'm more liberal than the Democratic party is. But I suppose that makes me Democratic leaning, from the outside as there is no chance in hell I'd ever vote for a Republican. Democrats are too conservative for me but it's vote for the Democrat or not vote at all. Not voting at all only helps the Republicans.

Top Bottom