• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump second language - Split from “multiple languages” in Lounge

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
When I was a kid, a complaint that was bandied around was "They're over here now, why don't they speak English?" Those people had only one language themselves but carried the entrenched idea that English speakers were the norm, and everybody else could just toe the line.

Teaching other languages in primary school undercuts that prejudice. Kids grow up with the knowledge that there are other places with different ways of communicating and differing cultural practices. And that learning a second language requires more effort than acquiring the first.

Growing up in a monoculture, which Aus effectively was until relatively recently, made it way too easy to dismiss the human worth of people it was hard to communicate with, and you saw that all over the joint.

Does anyone know if Trump has a second language?

Are we confident that he has a first?

The amazing thing is the number of people who still support Trump, and are likely to vote him in for the second term. Scary stuff.

When I was a kid, a complaint that was bandied around was "They're over here now, why don't they speak English?" Those people had only one language themselves but carried the entrenched idea that English speakers were the norm, and everybody else could just toe the line.

Teaching other languages in primary school undercuts that prejudice. Kids grow up with the knowledge that there are other places with different ways of communicating and differing cultural practices. And that learning a second language requires more effort than acquiring the first.

Growing up in a monoculture, which Aus effectively was until relatively recently, made it way too easy to dismiss the human worth of people it was hard to communicate with, and you saw that all over the joint.

The USA has never been a monoculture. That is a superiority myth. In the greater NYC area I grew up with distinct impressions of Asian, Jewish, Italian, Irish cultures.

Spanish and Italian metaphors and phrases have long been part of the vocabulary. At least where I grew up.

Italian, Mexican , Japanese, and Chinese food has long been assimilated. Relatively recently Indian and Thai food. BTW progressives in California have hounded white food business out of business for selling Mexican food. They call it cultural appropriation. I used to call it the melting pot.

Progressives are just as biased and ideological as the wacky right. Both go to ridiculous extremes on the issue.

There have been studies saying learning second languages as a kid improves overall skills.

There is a flip side to the language issue. Having been around immigrants working in facilities I kluived in over the last 5 years there is a real problem with immigrants not learning English. First generation kids are not learning English as a first languae.

If you think it is a white view, American blacks having to deal with it complain about African black immigrants. People Spend years working without leaning basic English. An Ethiopian who has been here for 8 years had to take a picture of menu with his cell phone of me pointing to a selection . He could not read it. It gets worse when dealing with medical issues.

In the words of a black friend regarding a Mexican who was serving food and had trouble communicating, 'I don't Speak Spanish and I aint going to god damn learn it'. Similar black sentiments.

English is tRump's third language I've heard. His real name is Dmitriy Bumshteyn, he's originally from Russia, and Russian and Yiddish are his first two languages. The real Trump is dead.

Eldarion Lathria

Does Donald Trump Speak Any Other Languages? He Has 1 Clear Favorite

He only speaks English. He doesn't even speak Russian.

This is despite having been bailed out by Russian oligarchs.

However, some family members speak more than one language, like current wife Melania and former wife Ivana. Both of them came from Eastern Europe, so English was not the first language of either of them.

He doesn't even speak English very well. How in the world would he be able to speak a second language?
Did you ever see the 'Sunny in Philadelphia' episode, where they gave a sugar pill to Charley and told him it was a supersmart pill? He became convinced he was a genius?

He thought he'd learned Mandarin in a week, but the Chinese researcher and he were just babbling gibberish at each other.

I can really imagine Trump just 'deciding' that he spoke French, and everyone around him just nodding. "Wee-wee, mawn sewer. Bawn Jower."
And sending each other updating texts.
"Today 'Waterloo' is French for Bathroom."
"thx. Thought he wanted 2 invade Belgium today."
"Oh, he does. But his Frenchword for Belgium is 'Wa-ffel.'"

The USA has never been a monoculture. That is a superiority myth. In the greater NYC area I grew up with distinct impressions of Asian, Jewish, Italian, Irish cultures.

Spanish and Italian metaphors and phrases have long been part of the vocabulary. At least where I grew up.

Italian, Mexican , Japanese, and Chinese food has long been assimilated. Relatively recently Indian and Thai food. BTW progressives in California have hounded white food business out of business for selling Mexican food. They call it cultural appropriation. I used to call it the melting pot.

Progressives are just as biased and ideological as the wacky right. Both go to ridiculous extremes on the issue.

There have been studies saying learning second languages as a kid improves overall skills.

There is a flip side to the language issue. Having been around immigrants working in facilities I kluived in over the last 5 years there is a real problem with immigrants not learning English. First generation kids are not learning English as a first languae.

If you think it is a white view, American blacks having to deal with it complain about African black immigrants. People Spend years working without leaning basic English. An Ethiopian who has been here for 8 years had to take a picture of menu with his cell phone of me pointing to a selection . He could not read it. It gets worse when dealing with medical issues.

In the words of a black friend regarding a Mexican who was serving food and had trouble communicating, 'I don't Speak Spanish and I aint going to god damn learn it'. Similar black sentiments.

Outside of large cities such as NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, most of the US was and has been English speaking. Sure there has always been immigration. Some of my great greats immigrated (and others have been here since before there was a USA) but everybody was expected to speak English--outside of their established ethnic neighborhood. So, one great great always spoke in German to her adult offspring if there was anything being said that they didn't want the kids to know about. Of course, the kids did pick up enough to know what was going on, in addition to context but not enough to be fluent or to retain much as adults. OTOH, a friend's grandmother immigrated from Italy, lived in Little Italy in a major city and never learned English. Still, I grew up never having met a single person who was not born in the USA and who did not speak English as their first and usually only language and by English, I mean the lower midwest dialect that I learned, with a smattering of upper Southern from a couple of relatives who married into the family.

For some years, we lived in a metropolitan area that was filled with people of all nationalities, all ethnicities, speaking hundreds of different languages. For a while, I worked in a workplace where English was the official language but I was one of only a few native English speakers. Routinely, I 'translated' from English to English whenever someone new from a different country and with a new accent came. The management/official language of my workplace was not English. I found that I was absorbing enough that after a couple of years, I was able to understand enough that sometimes I simply responded in English to a question asked in the dominant tongue. It was enough that they were going to send me to school to learn their language officially but my family circumstances changed and I ended up leaving that job to take care of some family issues. But the common language was English.

I agree that it is really important to learn multiple languages. Language holds so many keys to how a people view themselves and the world. Knowing other languages gives us clues and context to understand one another so much better.

My personal view is that the decline or 'decline' (depending on your POV) and antipathy towards the American educational system has been deliberate and calculated in order to render more and more of the population poorly educated (and sometimes, better trained for very narrow work) in order to be more easily manipulated by government.

Back
Top Bottom