• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump to reverse ban on Ivory trade from Africa. :(

Allegedly, the fee hunters pay to hunt elephants legally funds conservation efforts. Permits to hunt elephants have been issued since 2014, when conservation efforts stabilized the elephant population in specific regions. The change in US law is parsimonious to the change in SA law....

... allegedly...

OP says ivory ban reversal, the article says elephant trophies from two nations in Africa to be reversed, if the hunter can prove that the trophy helped conservation.

The idea of hunting an elephant is repugnant, especially what these fools consider as hunting. Just wish a hippo could sneak up behind such assholes and chomp them.

OP says ivory ban reversal, the article says elephant trophies from two nations in Africa to be reversed, if the hunter can prove that the trophy helped conservation.

The idea of hunting an elephant is repugnant, especially what these fools consider as hunting. Just wish a hippo could sneak up behind such assholes and chomp them.

Repugnant, but the farms are good for the species. I don't think we should stand in the way.

Agreed. You're an asshole if you kill any animal unless you have a tag and will eat it or it's a danger.

Allegedly, the fee hunters pay to hunt elephants legally funds conservation efforts. Permits to hunt elephants have been issued since 2014, when conservation efforts stabilized the elephant population in specific regions. The change in US law is parsimonious to the change in SA law....

... allegedly...

The problem is with the poachers, not with people who hunt legally. If you make the ivory trade legal again, there is going to be an increased economic incentive to poach elephants again.

Agreed. You're an asshole if you kill any animal unless you have a tag and will eat it or it's a danger.

Not that I don´t hate Trump but the elephants that are hunted in these programs are eaten, they hunter has a tag and the are either a danger, a nuisance or are standing in the way if enlarging the breading population.

Or you're putting it out of it's misery. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Not that I don´t hate Trump but the elephants that are hunted in these programs are eaten, they hunter has a tag and the are either a danger, a nuisance or are standing in the way if enlarging the breading population.
Then why do I keep hearing the elephants are endangered. How the hell can you be a endangered AND an overpopulated nuisance. I'm not buying that crap at all. And poaching went DOWN while the ban was in place, not up.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why do I keep hearing the elephants are endangered. How the hell can you be a endangered AND an overpopulated nuisance. I'm not buying that crap at all. And poaching went DOWN while the ban was in place, not up.
Well, they can be endangered and a nuisance. They just need to be near people sometime, or their crops.

I'm very hesitant to hear how we need to open it up, when the hunters are the ones saying we should do it.

... allegedly...

The problem is with the poachers, not with people who hunt legally. If you make the ivory trade legal again, there is going to be an increased economic incentive to poach elephants again.

That is why legal hunters have to pay upwards of tens of thousands of dollars to get the permit. Poachers do not get the permit, and thus their 'trophies' would not be admissible into the united states.

Again, this was a South African decision to change their law, and the change to US law is to accommodate the change in SA law.... which happens to benefit the Trump family... so it disgusts me that this is something that has any kind of priority over... basically anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the law limited poaching (because it cut off one way to sell the goods). the result was stabilization of the elephant population in two regions. These two regions are the ones that have allowed hunting back in, for an extremely high price that is allegedly used to maintain conservation.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, they can be endangered and a nuisance. They just need to be near people sometime, or their crops.

I'm very hesitant to hear how we need to open it up, when the hunters are the ones saying we should do it.

There are many resources available to read about how, generally, controlled hunting keeps a population of animals more healthy than not hunting them.

- - - Updated - - -

As I understand it is the main problem is old bulls that drive younger males away from the heard and deny them the chance to mate and also sometimes wander into inhabited areas causing very real danger. There is no hunting program that I know of that allows hunting of elephants that are likely to have offspring. Coupled with selling a tag for tens of thousands of dollars then finances the conservation efforts.

I think that sounds logical in theory but I wonder how much truth there really is to it? And if so, if it's practiced legally? I'm not taking bets on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

As I understand it is the main problem is old bulls that drive younger males away from the heard and deny them the chance to mate and also sometimes wander into inhabited areas causing very real danger. There is no hunting program that I know of that allows hunting of elephants that are likely to have offspring. Coupled with selling a tag for tens of thousands of dollars then finances the conservation efforts.

Once again... this is a law that two countries in AFRICA made, about THIER county and THEIR resources. It applies only to activities in those two AFRICAN countries.

And, in support of AFRICAN LAW, the US lifted its ban of what is NO LONGER PROHIBITED IN AFRICA to now be allowed into the US.

I will take the conservationist view from the country that contains the conservation centers, parks, and experts to decide what is right for them and their country's resources.

If you run an elephant sanctuary, then I would be interested in your opinion. Anyone?... anyone? ok, then.

Yada yada yada.
Trump and his trumplets like to kill animals for fun.
He's a DICK.

Trump puts elephant trophy imports on hold

BBC

Seems the president has suspended the impport of elephant trophies (from Zambia and Zimbabwe)

The issue I find most ironic is that the Grand old Pachyderms can't seem to figure out that the elephant is a symbol of their party. They don't seem to realize that protecting them is important. If the elephants go extinct then what symbol will they use? A coal mine? Maybe more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom