• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's Commission on Voter Fraud

braces_for_impact

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
So, Trump has this commission on voter fraud and most states aren't cooperating fully with their request for information.

Trump, of course, is screaming "conspiracy!"

Nevertheless, there are good reasons for not wanting to cooperate with this "commission". The request, as made public by the Connecticut Secretary of State, requests:

the full first and last names of all registrants, middle names or initials if available,addresses, dates of birth, political party (if recorded in your state), last four digits of social security number if available, voter history (elections voted in) from 2006 onward, active/inactivestatus, cancelled status, information regarding any felony convictions, information regardingvoter registration in another state, information regarding military status, and overseas citizeninformation.

Kris Kobach said that “any documents that are submitted to the full Commission will also be made available to the public.”

I wonder if Trump supporters, that are dead set against any kind of National Firearms registry would be in favor of their voter information going to the Federal Government.

Trump has already, numerous times proved himself incapable of handling classified or sensitive data. There's also a (somewhat, maybe) part of me wondering if perhaps such information would end up in the hands f Russians and used for nefarious purposes.

So, Trump has this commission on voter fraud and most states aren't cooperating fully with their request for information.

Nevertheless, there are good reasons for not wanting to cooperate with this "commission". The request, as made public by the Connecticut Secretary of State, requests:

the full first and last names of all registrants, middle names or initials if available,addresses, dates of birth, political party (if recorded in your state), last four digits of social security number if available, voter history (elections voted in) from 2006 onward, active/inactivestatus, cancelled status, information regarding any felony convictions, information regardingvoter registration in another state, information regarding military status, and overseas citizeninformation.

Kris Kobach said that “any documents that are submitted to the full Commission will also be made available to the public.”

I wonder if Trump supporters, that are dead set against any kind of National Firearms registry would be in favor of their voter information going to the Federal Government.

Trump has already, numerous times proved himself incapable of handling classified or sensitive data. There's also a (somewhat, maybe) part of me wondering if perhaps such information would end up in the hands f Russians and used for nefarious purposes.

Which states are cooperating...?

In the UK the Full Electoral roll in England is available for anyone for supervised inspection as a legal right. It is also permitted for use by licensed credit agencies and registered political parties.

Under Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 political parties which are registered may only accept donations in excess of £500 from either individuals on an electoral register in the United Kingdom, or political parties, companies, trade unions, and similar which are registered in the UK.

The full electoral register is available for inspecting the names of individual donors.

So this list is transparent and no one has any issues.

Apart from names of the person's political party which is not relevant and is private and voter history (which can be obtained from polling records) the Electoral Role will hold the other details which you mentioned in the requirements called for by the election commission.

So in the UK such transparency and accountability is not a problem but in the US it is. The question would be that if these states have nothing to hide, then what is the problem??

In the UK the Full Electoral roll in England is available for anyone for supervised inspection as a legal right. It is also permitted for use by licensed credit agencies and registered political parties.

Under Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 political parties which are registered may only accept donations in excess of £500 from either individuals on an electoral register in the United Kingdom, or political parties, companies, trade unions, and similar which are registered in the UK.

The full electoral register is available for inspecting the names of individual donors.

Apart from names of the person's political party which is not relevant and is private and voter history (which can be obtained from polling records) the Electoral Role will hold the other details which you mentioned in the requirements called for by the election commission.

So in the UK such transparency and accountability is not a problem but in the US it is. The question would be that if these states have nothing to hide, then what is the problem??
Here is the thing. State governments are controlled by politicians. Politicians are elected by constitituents. Constituents don't want to be getting extra junk mail and spam phone calls from jerks who can look up their name and address in some registry somewhere. Frankly, politicians don't like that either, so even if the politicians weren't going to get voted out of office for helping out with this bullshit commission, they still would be disinclined.

Privacy is only the enemy in a police state.

Here is the thing. State governments are controlled by politicians. Politicians are elected by constitituents. Constituents don't want to be getting extra junk mail and spam phone calls from jerks who can look up their name and address in some registry somewhere. Frankly, politicians don't like that either, so even if the politicians weren't going to get voted out of office for helping out with this bullshit commission, they still would be disinclined.
Also, the commission exists to solve a problem that only exists in Trump's head. Not wanting to cooperate with a temper-tantrump snipe hunt is the correct answer, anyway. The less data they have, the fewer tax dollars they'll fritter away on this bullshit.

Privacy is only the enemy in a police state.

In the UK we don't have a problem as I mentioned individuals under supervision can check the register plus credit agencies and for checking the names of individual donors to ensure they are registered voters as mentioned earlier.

There are sometimes issue during elections but easily remedied

https://stopjunkmail.org.uk/tools/d...arties-using-electoral-roll-to-send-junk-mail

Any addressed junk mail can be stopped by sending the sender a data protection notice. This is a demand, made with reference to the Data Protection Act 1998, to stop (or not begin) processing your personal details for 'direct marketing' purposes. Data protection notices are legally binding, and apply to any type of 'direct marketing' – including direct mail campaigns undertaken by charities and political parties. For more information and an example notice letter, see the Contact senders page in the Guide.

I know people who have been a registered voter for several years. They get some political mail especially during elections which is once every 5 years.

Junk mail is more often unaddressed circulars stuffed through letterboxes.

It should not be a big deal for the various states to produce such records.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the commission exists to solve a problem that only exists in Trump's head. Not wanting to cooperate with a temper-tantrump snipe hunt is the correct answer, anyway. The less data they have, the fewer tax dollars they'll fritter away on this bullshit.

Then a transparent investigation amongst the parties would verify whether Trump did pull these from where the 'Sun don't shine.'

The other problem is Kobach himself. He's well known for restricting voting rights of people entitled to vote.

My understanding would be the authorities need a transparent system which allows scrutiny of voting lists but also as you raised it, fair electoral registration practices.

Re what you quoted

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.23ba9b756cf9

Sixteen states have made changes that will be in effect for the first time in a presidential election, many of them requiring photo identification at the polls. Kobach has gone a step further — pushing for states to demand proof of citizenship, such as a passport or a birth certificate, before allowing people to even register to vote. Election-law experts say the effort could reduce turnout in November.

Kansas, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, about 37,000 people who were trying to register to vote were on a “suspense list” last fall and were barred from voting unless they produced documentation. Nearly 90 percent of them were because of the proof-of-citizenship requirement, the ACLU said.

My comment here is when I voted in the UK I also had to produce photo ID such as a passport or Driver's Licence. Ideally but not necessarily I had to produce a voter's card which I received. A lot of people lose these so it's not necessarily as their names are on the Electoral Role.

When people die it takes a while to remove them off the list

Further if someone is an illegal they should not have a right to vote, let alone stay in the host country. Otherwise this would be ballot rigging.

Yeah, they want the states to give them everyone's voting records, including who people voted for, for the last several elections. Democracy my ass.

This is truly alarming. What better way to find out which citizens need re-education?

And where is the GOP on this? Whatever happened to wanting the government "out of our lives"?

This is a knock on your door in the middle of the night type of shit. Or maybe I'm just worrying too much. But it's the kind of thing that conservatives would have an utter shit-fit over if a first term Democratic congressperson even breathed the idea in an off the record interview with a reporter.

I wonder if they're trying to act as quickly as possible in order to either 1) to use the information to suppress the vote in 2018, or 2) use it as an excuse to suspend those elections. I think that #1 is a given. #2, while unlikely, isn't impossible.

And where is Democratic leadership on this? Seriously. Does anyone know?

Very surreal. Every dingbat idea that pops into our mentally unstable chief exec's head must now be vetted for investigation? How soon, then, will we have a committee to resume the inquiry into Obama's Kenyan origins?

Amazing bullshit. There is NO excuse for asking for party affiliations, other than to make it easier for Russians to influence coming elections.
And that is ignoring the fact that this is another sick expenditure of taxpayer funds to lend credence to Cheato's personal insane conspiracy "theory".
Just like he wanted a commission to investigate his idiotic assertion that Obama wiretapped Trump Tower...
What a sick fuck.

Yeah, they want the states to give them everyone's voting records, including who people voted for, for the last several elections. Democracy my ass.

Ballots are secret so there is no way for sure to tell who voted for who.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing bullshit. There is NO excuse for asking for party affiliations, other than to make it easier for Russians to influence coming elections.
And that is ignoring the fact that this is another sick expenditure of taxpayer funds to lend credence to Cheato's personal insane conspiracy "theory".
Just like he wanted a commission to investigate his idiotic assertion that Obama wiretapped Trump Tower...
What a sick fuck.

True, party affiliations should not even be on any electoral lists.

Mail in ballots, including absentee ballots, at least have to potential to not be secret. Primaries also may not necessarily adhere to secret ballot standards. The article from the OP does note that Kobach is trying to collect party affiliation, and the elections since 2006 in which the voter has voted. This data could be correlated to come up with fairly reliable information on who voted for who, but would not be infallible, especially given independent voters like myself.

Mail in ballots, including absentee ballots, at least have to potential to not be secret. Primaries also may not necessarily adhere to secret ballot standards. The article from the OP does note that Kobach is trying to collect party affiliation, and the elections since 2006 in which the voter has voted. This data could be correlated to come up with fairly reliable information on who voted for who, but would not be infallible, especially given independent voters like myself.

I have outlined the British method of voting. In concurrence with your point party affiliation should never be mentioned and party lists should be confidential to the particular party and should not be anywhere near to an electoral role.

In line with the limitations I mentioned a full list of registered voters and how someone registers (has to be a citizen) and checking IDs at polling stations are reasonable precautions.

One problem is it can be slow to remove deceased persons off a register. Showing ID at the booth should at least minimise if not eliminate this. I'm sure this hardly covers millions of votes.

Yeah - it'd give Putin just enough to know which jurisdictions and congressional districts he needs to sink money into to in order to maintain his Puppet Party dominance.

Very surreal. Every dingbat idea that pops into our mentally unstable chief exec's head must now be vetted for investigation? How soon, then, will we have a committee to resume the inquiry into Obama's Kenyan origins?

That's over but I thought he could be Irish as in O'Bama.

No. They don't have a record of who people voted for.

What they mean by "voting records" is the record of what elections the person voted in.

No. They don't have a record of who people voted for.

What they mean by "voting records" is the record of what elections the person voted in.

"Party affiliation if any..."
None of their fucking business! But fairly useful, if you're trying to figure out where to put more gerrymandering effort, fake news and email hackery.

Just what America needs. A way to look up the current address etc of any voter. Everybody gets doxxed thanks to the GOP. Want more death threats because you pissed of a right winged turd online? When Reagan ran on "Getting the government off your back!", America roared it's approval. It looks like some GOP morons didn't get the message.

Back
Top Bottom