• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tu quoque---effective debating strategy?

Brian63

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker/atheist/humanist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Tū quoque (/tjuːˈkwoʊkwi, tuːˈkwoʊkweɪ/;[1] Latin for "you also"), or the appeal to hypocrisy, is an informal fallacy that intends to discredit the opponent's argument by attacking the opponent's own personal behavior as being inconsistent with the argument's conclusion(s).

Tu quoque is a logical fallacy, but admittedly I still find it useful to employ during a debate, moreso for rhetorical and tactical purposes. For example, I sometimes post on Ray Comfort's Facebook page which is heavily populated by ignorant, dogmatic, illogical, asshole fundamentalist Christians. They will often criticize me personally and/or a position I hold. I could respond back by defending against those criticisms and exposing the accusations to be logically flawed. In practice though, it very often does not work well because those Christians will quickly change the subject and criticize me or another position I hold. They do not thoroughly evaluate and think about the substance of the positions. Debating is moreso seen as a game and opportunity for them to try and bully and intimidate me.

So I find that I often knowingly and intentionally commit the tu quoque fallacy instead. When they launch some stupid criticism on me, I simply turn it around and show how it actually applies to them. That method has appeared to be more effective, even if it does nothing to invalidate their criticism of me. I could try both, defending my views and criticizing the hypocrisy of theirs, and sometimes I do. But sometimes I think that takes up too much space and the points would fly over their heads. So I keep it simpler. If they are going to throw punches, they are at risk to receive counterpunches. Whatever words they use to try and damage me can also be used to damage themselves, so now they will be more careful in choosing their words.

When you are dealing with trolls and trying to get them to stop bullying you, or trying to expose their jerkish behavior for the benefit of the audience (even if not that person themselves), do you ever knowingly and intentionally commit the tu quoque fallacy because it is a powerful rhetorical tool? Calmly analyzing the logic of their argument proves futile. First, you have to get them to behave better, and that can be done by showing how hypocritical they are and making them afraid temporarily to throw punches at you.

Are there other fallacies that you knowingly and intentionally commit, when engaged in hostile debates with another person? Because it is immediately effective and necessary as a rhetorical weapon before getting to the real substance of your views.

Relatedly, I have read different definitions of a "strawman" fallacy and some explicitly state that it is an intentional misrepresentation of another person's views. Other definitions do not specify that. But I had long understood that a strawman could involve an unintentional, accidental misstatement of the other person's views.

As an example---the tu quoque comes up regularly when they criticize me for favoring the cruel killing of innocent babies. Instead of exploring various fallacies, subtleties, and complexities of the abortion issue and morality in general, I tend to just respond back by revealing their own extreme hypocrisy by worshiping a god that cruelly kills innocent babies. They never thought of that, and do not know how to respond. But once they realize their harsh rhetoric can be used even more effectively against themselves, they will cool off on that harsh rhetoric. Once they realize their bullying attempt will backfire, they will be more hesitant to try bullying. Using tu quoque is a necessary first step. Otherwise they will just continue behaving as ignorant assholes without consequence.

I have heard from professional lawyers that a general maxim they hold to is:

1. If the facts are on your side, then argue the facts.
2. If the facts are not on your side, then argue the law.
3. If neither the facts or the law are on your side, then just argue for the sake of arguing.

So that would be another instance where people sometimes knowingly and intentionally will use fallacious arguments to achieve their desired outcome. Politicians do as well, intentionally misrepresenting their opposition candidate's views for the sake of garnering votes. Social commentators do the same to become more popular and get a bigger audience.

I would describe tu quoque arguments as more "satisfying" than "effective". Almost by definition, they leave egg on both parties' faces. If "you're no better than me", it seems reasonably clear that we are probably both in the wrong, as opposed to either of us being correct in our actions.

They are also, generally speaking, personal attacks. Since most educated people see making personal attacks as a sure sign of a person stuck defending a weak position, you are once again not doing yourself many favors in the long run. Especially if they are poorly aimed personal attacks ("Oh yeah, well someone else who is in your country/political party/gender/religion said that...") that your interlocutor immediately knows does not apply to them anyway. If a tu quoque is poorly aimed, you end up making your opponent feel better about themselves, as you have essentially confessed to fault without concurrently succeeding in bringing them down to your level.

That said, as someone who frequently educates and advocates on racial equity issues, I have observed that tu quoque arguments are by far the most common type of logical argumentation attempted by "reasonable racists", partly because it can be quite rhetorically effective... if the people you're trying to convince are already quietly predisposed to agree with you, needing only a reason rather than a good reason as such, to advocate for their own self-interest at others' expense, and those you are attacking have more morals than sense and are thus quitely predisposed to accept your criticism. It doesn't work nearly as well in the other direction, for the same reason. If I say, "You accuse me of reverse racism, but doesn't that imply that your own position, exactly opposite to mine, is unreversed racism?" but it won't work nearly as well, because they aren't predisposed to agree with me, nor emotionally inclined to much care even if they did agree with me, and from a logical standpoint it was a weak argument that did not leave me in the moral right even if I am correct.

Conclusion: By all means, try a tu quoque if you know you're dealing with a fool, or if you are arguing a position that favors a position of privilege. But otherwise be wary, for rhetoric may be on your side but logic is not, and your argument will crumple swiftly should someone consider it critically for a few seconds.

I don't think there is (necessarily) a logical fallacy embedded in pointing out to your opponent that they themselves are engaging in the behaviour they think is wrong. Such behaviour might NOT be wrong. It might actually be persuasively helpful/logical to show your opponent that what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Them : Religion is bad.
Me : Atheism is a religion.

Them : The afterlife is wishful thinking.
Me : Living like there's no afterlife is wishful thinking.

Them : Pedophilia is wicked
Me : So is abortion.

Them : Black lives matter.
Me : So do white lives.

I don't think there is (necessarily) a logical fallacy embedded in pointing out to your opponent that they themselves are engaging in the behaviour they think is wrong. Such behaviour might NOT be wrong. It might actually be persuasively helpful/logical to show your opponent that what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

That's not just a tu quoque, it's also an equivocation fallacy. (Though, of course, either way, it fails to support your position, and it's certainly logically fallacious on both counts).

If I say "Religion is bad", then I am using the word 'religion' as it is defined in the OED (https://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry/Entry/161944)
5 a Belief in or acknowledgement of some superhuman power or powers (esp. a god or gods) which is typically manifested in obedience, reverence, and worship; such a belief as part of a system defining a code of living, esp. as a means of achieving spiritual or material improvement.

Under that definition, atheism clearly is NOT a religion.

Of course, you can use a different definition:

4 b figurative. A pursuit, interest, or movement, followed with great devotion.

Under that definition, atheism might be a religion - But under that definition, I wouldn't characterise religion as bad.

Your rather pathetic attempt to defend against a claim that 5 a religion is bad, by stating that 4 b religion is a position held by your interlocutor fails on three logical counts: 1) Tu quoque; 2) Equivocation; and 3) Ascribing to your opponent an opinion you have no evidence that he holds.

[removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think adding some humor to the exchange is helpful. For example:

Mr. I'm Right and You're Not: You are immoral because you believe in abortion, which is the killing of innocent babies.

Me: Well then, I suppose I would have keen insight into similar immoral behaviors. Would you like to hear about another one?

Mr. I'm Right and You're Not: Ahhh, sure!

Me: How about those little shits who worship and peddle gods who kill innocent babies by the thousands? Like you.

Mr. I'm Right and You're Not: But blah blah blah.

Me: You see, we have reached a common ground. We are alike. That wasn't so hard now, was it?

The good ole 'can't make an accurate analogy' fallacy.

Them : The afterlife is wishful thinking.
Me : Living like there's no afterlife is wishful thinking.
Third grader fallacy.

Them : Pedophilia is wicked
Me : So is abortion.
Are you trying to riposte on pedophilia?

Them : Black lives matter.
Me : So do white lives.
But apparently not context.

That's not just a tu quoque, it's also an equivocation fallacy. (Though, of course, either way, it fails to support your position, and it's certainly logically fallacious on both counts).

If I say "Religion is bad", then I am using the word 'religion' as it is defined in the OED (https://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry/Entry/161944)

Under that definition, atheism might be a religion - But under that definition, I wouldn't characterise religion as bad.

[removed]

[Removed for consistency]

Your rather pathetic attempt to defend against a claim that 5 a religion is bad, by stating that 4 b religion is a position held by your interlocutor fails on three logical counts: 1) Tu quoque; 2) Equivocation; and 3) Ascribing to your opponent an opinion you have no evidence that he holds.

[removed]

[removed]

I am sure I do. But not in the post you have quoted, as far as I am aware.

Could you perhaps be more specific about what part of that you feel is "stupid shit", and why you think so?

[removed]
Could you perhaps be more specific about what part of that you feel is "stupid shit", and why you think so?

"You are demonstrably incapable of knowing anything at all..."

^

Right there. That's the stupid shit referred to. Do you actually believe that Lion has demonstrated that he is incapable of knowing anything at all?

[removed]

^

Right there. That's the stupid shit referred to. Do you actually believe that Lion has demonstrated that he is incapable of knowing anything at all?

Yes, I do; And I explained why in my post.

Lion has repeatedly demonstrated an incapacity to use the tools of reason and logic that are a prerequisite for knowledge. What he presents as knowledge (and presumably feels to him like knowledge) is, quite clearly, mere belief. None is justified, and if any is true it is not as a consequence of his ability to recognise truth, but instead a happy good fortune that could easily have gone the other way.

Knowledge is justified true belief. Lion manages at best to meet two of those criteria, and frequently only the latter.

^

Yes, I do; And I explained why in my post.

Lion has repeatedly demonstrated an incapacity to use the tools of reason and logic that are a prerequisite for knowledge. What he presents as knowledge (and presumably feels to him like knowledge) is, quite clearly, mere belief. None is justified, and if any is true it is not as a consequence of his ability to recognise truth, but instead a happy good fortune that could easily have gone the other way.

Knowledge is justified true belief. Lion manages at best to meet two of those criteria, and frequently only the latter.

You're no fun anymore.

Over on Ray Comfort's (fundamentalist Christian) Facebook page, it helps sometimes to ask loaded questions of the posters. Those are a fallacy, but do have powerful rhetorical effect. Instead of simply asking if it is possible their views are wrong, ask them if they have the courage to admit that their views could possibly be wrong. Admitting to the latter strikes more to the underlying roadblock to resolving our disagreements. It also makes them feel heroic to some extent if they admit to it, while the former option does not. So progress is made with including the bit about "courage" whereas no progress will be made by omitting it.

Lion has repeatedly demonstrated an incapacity to use the tools of reason and logic that are a prerequisite for knowledge.
You're no fun anymore.

Its OK WAB :)
bilby always makes me smile.
I inadvertently triggered him. I could do it on purpose but that would be trolling.

Back
Top Bottom