• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Unity Ticket run for next Presidential Election?

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/kasich-hickenlooper-2020-unity-ticket/index.html

CNN said:
Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper have entertained the idea of forming a unity presidential ticket to run for the White House in 2020, a source involved the discussions tells CNN.

Under this scenario, Kasich, a Republican, and Hickenlooper, a Democrat, would run as independents with Kasich at the top of the ticket, said the source, who cautioned it has only been casually talked about.
"The idea of a joint ticket has been discussed, but not at an organizational or planning level," said the source, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity. "What they are trying to show the country is that honorable people can disagree, but you can still problem solve together. It happens in businesses and it happens in families. Why can't it happen in Washington?"

Kasich and this Hickenlooper (what a name!) fellow are reportedly considering running together as independents in the next presidential election cycle, to show that republicans and democrats can indeed work together, hash out ideas and policy, while not being in total agreement with one another.

Is this or something like this bound to happen after Trump is out? THe US has gotten more and more polarized until it finally snapped and Trump was voted in. Will we see a renewal of sanity afterwards, or will the US grow even more partisan instead?

Yeah... that would work completely in reverse of the way they're hoping. That is, they'll be utterly despised by everyone equally.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/kasich-hickenlooper-2020-unity-ticket/index.html

CNN said:
Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper have entertained the idea of forming a unity presidential ticket to run for the White House in 2020, a source involved the discussions tells CNN.

Under this scenario, Kasich, a Republican, and Hickenlooper, a Democrat, would run as independents with Kasich at the top of the ticket, said the source, who cautioned it has only been casually talked about.
"The idea of a joint ticket has been discussed, but not at an organizational or planning level," said the source, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity. "What they are trying to show the country is that honorable people can disagree, but you can still problem solve together. It happens in businesses and it happens in families. Why can't it happen in Washington?"

Kasich and this Hickenlooper (what a name!) fellow are reportedly considering running together as independents in the next presidential election cycle, to show that republicans and democrats can indeed work together, hash out ideas and policy, while not being in total agreement with one another.

Is this or something like this bound to happen after Trump is out? THe US has gotten more and more polarized until it finally snapped and Trump was voted in. Will we see a renewal of sanity afterwards, or will the US grow even more partisan instead?

The Republicans and Democrats do work with each other a lot but the idea of this being the norm is too rational for the voters to accept. There needs to be a diversity of viewpoint which is in accordance with our own democratic principles.

Any division or change in the US political system will benefit the republicans. The republicans can win with fewer supporters. Conservatives turn out to vote in heavier numbers. And their votes count for more. So, this "unity" ticket would just help Trump in three years.

It is fucking 2017!!!!

I know. The time for this discussion was at least five years ago. They are now too far behind in the fundraising to be able to be a factor.

Tom, I can't tell if you're joking or playing it straight, but it works either way.

I'm not surprised to hear about it in 2017 at all. It would surprise me more, if the future candidates weren't laying the ground work to run for 2020 in November or December of 2016.

Trump has already said he's running in 2020. I think he's already filed the paperwork. Democrat John Delaney has already announced that he's running for the Democratic nomination in 2020. Never heard of John Delaney.

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-delaney-president-2020-trump-running-2017-7

Any division or change in the US political system will benefit the republicans. The republicans can win with fewer supporters. Conservatives turn out to vote in heavier numbers. And their votes count for more. So, this "unity" ticket would just help Trump in three years.

^^^ agree

I know. The time for this discussion was at least five years ago. They are now too far behind in the fundraising to be able to be a factor.

Tom, I can't tell if you're joking or playing it straight, but it works either way.

I'm not surprised to hear about it in 2017 at all. It would surprise me more, if the future candidates weren't laying the ground work to run for 2020 in November or December of 2016.

Trump has already said he's running in 2020. I think he's already filed the paperwork. Democrat John Delaney has already announced that he's running for the Democratic nomination in 2020. Never heard of John Delaney.

The continuous political campaign doesn't bother me as much as the prospect that maybe all future Presidents will have to be famous, boorish, ignorant, and rich.

The continuous political campaign doesn't bother me as much as the prospect that maybe all future Presidents will have to be famous, boorish, ignorant, and rich.

Ignorant if combined with unwillingness to learn and adapt is enough reason to be worried.

Yeah... that would work completely in reverse of the way they're hoping. That is, they'll be utterly despised by everyone equally.
There's a further problem. They are likely to be a spoiler. The spoiler effect is a big problem for first-past-the-post elections. Let's see about US Presidential ones.
  • 1912: Theodore Roosevelt for William Taft
  • 1968: George Wallace for Hubert Humphrey
  • 1980: John Anderson for Jimmy Carter
  • 1992: Ross Perot for George Bush I
  • 2000: Ralph Nader for Al Gore
  • 2016: Gary Johnson and Jill Stein for Hillary Clinton

I live in Colorado and John Hickenlooper (who is a geologist by training) is an amazing politician. I was appointed by a Board by Govenor Hickenlooper. His staff sought me out and asked me to apply. I think its an amazing idea for these two to run. I have no idea how the rest of the US would like it.

ETA

And before John Hickenlooper (or Hick) became Mayor of Denver, he ran a brew pub - so you know he's got to be a good guy!

Back
Top Bottom