• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

VGA, HDMI, DVI?

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism
I've ordered myself a new laptop computer and I note the VGA out ports are now gone. It HDMI now. My monitor has VGA and DVI ports. What the?

So when I ordered the computer I also ordered an HDMI to DVI monitor cable for $40. The cable arrived today ahead of the new laptop but the cable is too bulky to physically get close to the DVI port on the monitor.*

So I have to return it for my $40 back and now need to go to the store for a cable.

So here is the question, what do I lose if at the store they only have HDMI to VGA adapters and don't have a suitable HDMI TO DVI cable?

DVI is a little bit better picture than VGA but I can't tell them apart.

Also, look at different sources of cables. Check www.monoprice.com, they usually have sanely-priced cables of a million varieties. Around here I get overnight (with a shipper that I have never encountered otherwise, but I haven't had any problems with them and they have an intelligent solution to the question of whether the package is actually delivered when there's no signature--they put the package at your door and then take a picture of it from a distance so the house shows) shipping for less than normal shipping but I doubt that's nationwide.

A quick check shows that all their HDMI -> DVI cables do not support audio but I doubt you need that. The only such cables they have that reach the $40 you spent are their longer professional grade versions.

Amazon.com is a great place to get those $40 cables for $5 to $10, but not at a loss of quality. The one in the link will do you just fine. And less than $7.

For your own sake, please never ever buy a cable at a store again. :)

Amazon.com is a great place to get those $40 cables for $5 to $10, but not at a loss of quality. The one in the link will do you just fine. And less than $7.

For your own sake, please never ever buy a cable at a store again. :)

What he said. Your problem may be solved by just getting a new cable with a lower profile plug, a right angle adapter, etc. I've bought lots of decent cables and adapters on Amazon for next to nothing.

Don't let someone bamboozle you into buying and expensive, short digital signal cables. As long as its good enough to transmit and receive the ones and zeros, that's good enough. Monster has made a business of convincing people they need $100 cables when a $3 cable will do just as well.

What he said. Your problem may be solved by just getting a new cable with a lower profile plug, a right angle adapter, etc. I've bought lots of decent cables and adapters on Amazon for next to nothing.

Yes it's that the cable is too bulky. It the right type but too large.

I buy tons of things on Amazon but the new laptop will be here on June 18 and I want to have the plug by the time it arrives. So no time to order on Amazon. I'll be going to the store today.

I buy tons of things on Amazon but the new laptop will be here on June 18 and I want to have the plug by the time it arrives. So no time to order on Amazon. I'll be going to the store today.
You may still be able to do overnight shipping and possibly still be cheaper. I have a longer version of that cable and it is not thick.

Are you certain your new computer will not come with the conversion cable included? Mine did.

Are you certain your new computer will not come with the conversion cable included? Mine did.

Sales chat says no. I asked after noticing no VGA out in the specs.

- - - Updated - - -

You may still be able to do overnight shipping and possibly still be cheaper. I have a longer version of that cable and it is not thick.

Maybe I could have. As it is, I went to Best Buy this morning and just got one. Much less bulky and plugs in fine. Now just waiting for the computer to arrive.

I am looking forward to getting the new computer but in some ways I don't. Although I've done it before many times, I don't look forward to transferring my Outlook emails, Firefox passwords and favorites, and potentially needing to buy again small apps that I now depend on.

Reinstalling stuff is not fun any more.

But it's the cost of getting a new computer.

And by the way I was really surprised that it's now hard to find a computer with a CD/DVD drive built in. "Cloud" is all the rage but not when you have software on CD.

Yes I could get an external disc player but I still use the thing enough to play DVDs and import music from CD that I wanted it built in.

Back
Top Bottom