• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Voluntary Christianity versus State mandated Christianity

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
A liberal Christian friend said today that she asks fundies,

Why is it that the call to help widows and orphans does not mean that "we" should work hard for healthcare for all, programs to help single mothers, etc but "being gay is a sin" means "we" have to make sure that homosexuals do not have the right to get married. And by "we" I mean the typical Christian. Why is it that some things in the Bible mean we should change laws and others mean we shouldn't and should just handle it all ourselves? Why can't the response to widows and orphans be to help how you can personally and work to change laws to help even more? Uh! Drives me nuts!​

And she has a great point. Why do you need the government's help to make sure gays are kept from sinning, but you don't need the government's help to keep people from the sin of letting the least of Jesus' people starve?

Anyone? Anyone?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Why is it that the call to help widows and orphans does not mean that "we" should work hard for healthcare for all, programs to help single mothers, etc but "being gay is a sin" means "we" have to make sure that homosexuals do not have the right to get married. And by "we" I mean the typical Christian. Why is it that some things in the Bible mean we should change laws and others mean we shouldn't and should just handle it all ourselves? Why can't the response to widows and orphans be to help how you can personally and work to change laws to help even more? Uh! Drives me nuts!​

And she has a great point. Why do you need the government's help to make sure gays are kept from sinning, but you don't need the government's help to keep people from the sin of letting the least of Jesus' people starve?

Anyone? Anyone?

Because the Christian Far Right has been hammering at the gay issue for years. Its something nobody has escaped hearing about. There is no similar campaign for helping the poor. Many people who think themselves Christian don't really know the Bible.

Matthew 25
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

If the Christian far right had been hammering these verses with as much vigor as they have been hammering at gay issues, the ignorant masses would not be so hostile to things like Obamacare,or the general indifference towards health issues as we have seen since the dawn of the Reagan 'revolution'.

If the creepy far right types knew Matthew 25 well, things in the Christian world might be rather different.

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

These are fun verses. All candidates for president in 2006 should be repeatedly asked about theses verses in regards to government policy, especially those who loudly claim to be Christians. If Jesus came back and ran for president, we know what his policies would be.

When i was little, a dam burst a few hours away. Buried a few thousand homes in mud, tore up several towns.

The Catholic church in our town annonced that they were sponsoring a bus for any volunteers that were willing to go help out. And if you didn't want to go, they'd accept donations of blankets, shovels and hip waders. They were going to leave town at, i think, 8:00 am
Not to be outdone, the Mormon church called our house that night. "You WILL be in the Ward II parking lot at 7:00 am. You will bring at least one shovel and two blankets. You will pack a lunch for all members of your party."

I'm not sure who Ward II was trying to impress. Surely God would know who volunteered out of love for their fellow man, and who was there because they were afraid of peer pressure....

When i was little, a dam burst a few hours away. Buried a few thousand homes in mud, tore up several towns.

The Catholic church in our town annonced that they were sponsoring a bus for any volunteers that were willing to go help out. And if you didn't want to go, they'd accept donations of blankets, shovels and hip waders. They were going to leave town at, i think, 8:00 am
Not to be outdone, the Mormon church called our house that night. "You WILL be in the Ward II parking lot at 7:00 am. You will bring at least one shovel and two blankets. You will pack a lunch for all members of your party."

I'm not sure who Ward II was trying to impress. Surely God would know who volunteered out of love for their fellow man, and who was there because they were afraid of peer pressure....

Well, there's not much point in helping out your fellow man if you can't be seen to be helping out your fellow man.

If the Mormons didn't have a better turnout than other groups, how would those other groups recognize that the Mormons are better people than them?

That is a great point specially since the widow, orphan, and taking care of the least of us, is directly from the mouth of who they think God; yet the same person who said not one thing about Gay being a sin.

Anyone? Anyone?

Her point is not very meaningful.

Does it matter if Christians want to use the state to persecute homosexuals or if they want to persecute homosexuals on their own without the state behind them? Either way, Christianity is evil.

Anyone? Anyone?

Her point is not very meaningful.

Does it matter if Christians want to use the state to persecute homosexuals or if they want to persecute homosexuals on their own without the state behind them? Either way, Christianity is evil.

Well, it's meaningful to her because she thinks the helping part is more important than the judging part and this provides an argument to get people to stop judging or start supporting welfare and medicaid.

Back
Top Bottom