• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Warren's Native American heritage gaffe

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Trump: "Pocahontas! Pocahontas!"
Millions of angry women: "Orange rapist! Orange rapist!"

I doubt the Pocahontas thing will be as big a problem for Warren as it would be for Trump.

She lied about that. She also used her story about being native American (she isn't) to gain professionally. It's tame stuff by comparison to Trump or even Biden, but absent the atmosphere where Trump is creating new scandals for himself daily, Warren's thing would / will be a bigger deal. People have lost politically for much much less.

She lied about that. She also used her story about being native American (she isn't) to gain professionally. It's tame stuff by comparison to Trump or even Biden, but absent the atmosphere where Trump is creating new scandals for himself daily, Warren's thing would / will be a bigger deal. People have lost politically for much much less.

Nah, she didn’t benefit professionally for claiming NA heritage (which, in the US is not the same thing as being Native American). That’s just shit spread by anti progressives who don’t like women very much.

I would go even further and say she's not innocently ignorant here, and that cynically pushing a false narrative about minority heritage should be disqualifying in the same way that dressing up in blackface should be disqualifying. This isn't a slip of the tongue or an honest mistake of hers, it's a ploy that she should absolutely have to answer for.

chow.JPG

Warren has always said that various relatives, including her mother, told her in childhood that there was Native American heritage in their bloodline. I have known many, many people who have told me the same thing -- and usually citing a Cherokee ancestry. Who hasn't? Furthermore, Warren's DNA test showed mostly European ancestry with the strong possibility of a Native American ancestor, anywhere from 6 to 10 generations back. Jesus Christ, this is the biggest Nothingburger, to use Lindsey Graham's word for Trump's betrayal of his oath.
So, to some, Pocahontasgate (BTW, isn't T's use of Pocahontas offensive to these folks? Guess not) could be disqualifying, but the GOP's love affair and complete obeisance to Trump's unprecedented regime of lies, racism, delusion, libel, lies, profanity, bribery, profiteering, lies, witness tampering, obstructing justice, inviting election hacking, lies, defamation of the press, defiance of Congress, bad spelling, lies, and lies -- they'll slide through with that? They'll attract enough indie votes to push their guy over the line? That's like a death wish for the country.

Nah, she didn’t benefit professionally for claiming NA heritage (which, in the US is not the same thing as being Native American). That’s just shit spread by anti progressives who don’t like women very much.

What does it have to do with being a woman???

It doesn't have anything to do with being a woman. Imagine please, if Bernie Sanders had spent his political and academic career, through law school and the Senate, portraying himself as a Latino who broke down barriers to achieve success, all while ignoring the unique problems of Latin Americans and submitting recipes to Mexican cookbooks that he stole word-for-word from a newspaper one day. And then taking a DNA test to prove he was 0.0001% Guatemalan. The coverage would be wall-to-wall on every network.

It doesn't have anything to do with being a woman. Imagine please, if Bernie Sanders had spent his political and academic career, through law school and the Senate, portraying himself as a Latino who broke down barriers to achieve success, all while ignoring the unique problems of Latin Americans and submitting recipes to Mexican cookbooks that he stole word-for-word from a newspaper one day. And then taking a DNA test to prove he was 0.0001% Guatemalan. The coverage would be wall-to-wall on every network.

Well, whenever a person is criticized and happens to be a woman, there will be those claiming it's all about gender.

I would go even further and say she's not innocently ignorant here, and that cynically pushing a false narrative about minority heritage should be disqualifying in the same way that dressing up in blackface should be disqualifying. This isn't a slip of the tongue or an honest mistake of hers, it's a ploy that she should absolutely have to answer for.

View attachment 24158
You mean believing the stories her family told her? Which, btw, were partially substantiated by the article linked upthread: her parents’ marriage came as a surprise to their families.

As far as her blood test showing only a small percentage of NA genes? There is no adequate database that identifies and catalogues DNA indicating or disproving Native American heritage. This is one reason that in the US, the Native American community does not support or advocate the use of genetic tests to determine heritage.

What does it have to do with being a woman???
You tell me.

You mean believing the stories her family told her? Which, btw, were partially substantiated by the article linked upthread: her parents’ marriage came as a surprise to their families.
It must have come as a huge surprise to her husband, who never claimed to be Native American, but was somehow also listed in that cookbook as "Cherokee"
Pow-Wow-Chow-Bruce-Mann-Oriental-Beef-Stir-Fry.jpg

As far as her blood test showing only a small percentage of NA genes? There is no adequate database that identifies and catalogues DNA indicating or disproving Native American heritage. This is one reason that in the US, the Native American community does not support or advocate the use of genetic tests to determine heritage.
That's kind of my point. She kept trying to milk this vague claim of being native and trying to justify it in ways that don't make sense, all of which is very disrespectful to natives. The cookbook issue is kind of silly, but you have to admit it shows a willingness on her part to not only represent someone else's writing as her own, but to represent it as something traditionally indigenous and "ethnic" while being the product of a NYT article written by a white guy. But she can't bring herself to oppose building oil pipelines through native lands. The NA community is rightly pissed off about this, and you're framing them all as a bunch of anti-progressives who don't like women, and you're wrong about that.

Plenty of this is coming at her not just from the right but also the left. The below isnt Fox News. It's the opposite.

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/cYQhb1-JbGE[/YouTube]

It must have come as a huge surprise to her husband, who never claimed to be Native American, but was somehow also listed in that cookbook as "Cherokee"
View attachment 24159

That's kind of my point. She kept trying to milk this vague claim of being native and trying to justify it in ways that don't make sense, all of which is very disrespectful to natives. The cookbook issue is kind of silly, but you have to admit it shows a willingness on her part to not only represent someone else's writing as her own, but to represent it as something traditionally indigenous and "ethnic" while being the product of a NYT article written by a white guy. But she can't bring herself to oppose building oil pipelines through native lands. The NA community is rightly pissed off about this, and you're framing them all as a bunch of anti-progressives who don't like women, and you're wrong about that.

OMG! She submitted a recipe to a fundraising cookbook! And identified herself as Cherokee because that's the story her parents told her. OMG! I'll bet she raked in MILLIONS ! (voters, dollars, whichever, both--you're choice). And so did her husband! So, double the milllions!!!!!!!!

In very minor ways, I've written and edited and helped to publish a variety of newsletters, yearbooks, etc. Trust me: it's very easy for an error to appear.

Also, only an absolute idiot would think any of those recipes were purported to be Cherokee recipes.

How absolutely ridiculous you are.

View attachment 24159

OMG! She submitted a recipe to a fundraising cookbook! And identified herself as Cherokee because that's the story her parents told her. OMG! I'll bet she raked in MILLIONS ! (voters, dollars, whichever, both--you're choice). And so did her husband! So, double the milllions!!!!!!!!

In very minor ways, I've written and edited and helped to publish a variety of newsletters, yearbooks, etc. Trust me: it's very easy for an error to appear.

Also, only an absolute idiot would think any of those recipes were purported to be Cherokee recipes.

The title of the cookbook was Pow Wow Chow. Say it with me:

Pow
Wow
Chow

Well, whenever a person is criticized and happens to be a woman, there will be those claiming it's all about gender.

Yes, you're right. And every time there is someone criticizing something Trump did or said, there will be those claiming the only important thing is that no one likes a tattle tale

View attachment 24159

The title of the cookbook was Pow Wow Chow. Say it with me:

Pow
Wow
Chow

So?

This seems to be the closest to 'dirt' on Warren that anyone has been able to attempt to resuscitate and electroshock into something resembling a zombie issue. It's only an issue for Republicans and Bernsters. Frankly, two sides of the same cult of personalty cult.

Back
Top Bottom