• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Watch Scientists Accidentally Blow Up Their Lab With The Strongest Indoor Magnetic Field Ever

phands

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Hardcore Atheist
This is rather fun.....

Earlier this year, researchers at the University of Tokyo accidentally created the strongest controllable magnetic field in history and blew the doors of their lab in the process.

As detailed in a paper recently published in the Review of Scientific Instruments, the researchers produced the magnetic field to test the material properties of a new generator system. They were expecting to reach peak magnetic field intensities of around 700 Teslas, but the machine instead produced a peak of 1,200 Teslas. (For the sake of comparison, a refrigerator magnet has about 0.01 Tesla)

[YOUTUBE]Hsu6FG_3adU[/YOUTUBE]

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...with-the-strongest-indoor-magnetic-field-ever

Back in the mid '80s there was a teacher's work-to-rule and our school had to send pupils home at lunchtime for several months. As I lived a long way from school, and my mate Gary lived just around the corner, we would go to his house for lunch. Gary is a major petrol head (he's now an amateur rally driver, and proud owner of an MG Metro 6R4 which he takes to car shows around the country; Sadly as Group B was banned in 1986, he can't race it), and we watched The Italian Job, which he had on VHS, in one hour blocks, over the course of about three days, and then on the fourth day, started again at the beginning. I must have seen that movie at least a few dozen times that way, before we switched to The Blues Brothers (gotta love a good car chase movie).

It's still one of my favourites.

This is rather fun.....

Earlier this year, researchers at the University of Tokyo accidentally created the strongest controllable magnetic field in history and blew the doors of their lab in the process.
... They were expecting to reach peak magnetic field intensities of around 700 Teslas, but the machine instead produced a peak of 1,200 Teslas. ...

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...with-the-strongest-indoor-magnetic-field-ever

Curious definition of "controllable"...

Reminds one of freshman experiment where steelies were shot toward a column of copy paper where students could mix their own charge for shooting. The intention was to generate data so one could calculate effects of gravity by analyzing trajectories. One student blew up the launcher with his charge and another managed to develop a charge that launched the steelie through the lab wall. Lab assistant was replaced with another who used launchers with standard springs. Mechanics trumps chemistry again. Or kids will be kids.

Back
Top Bottom