• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ways to hear my CD collection

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Is anyone here proficient in apps n stuff that has ideas how I can listen to my music collection better?

I have it all saved onto a LAN, now. And I wish I could make party mixes & such.

At one point we had it pointed to my iTunes app on the desktop and I had playlists that I liked and I would hard-wire sync to my phone. And I’d play them in the house on the desktop speakers, and when synching I’d load various playlists and then switch them out. The phone was never able to hold the entire collection.

But I’m the only apple user in the house, and over time my phone was no longer being synched with the desktop, so it sort of “broke.” It was at that time hubbin got some other hard drive, loaded all 400+ CDs onto it, and linked it (through LAN? I think?) such that our receiver could see it. Which made the desk-top iTunes break because it has some weird insistence that the files exist nin one of its own directories and therefore copies all the CDs.

The new LAN/Receiver interface is clunky and only lets me play albums, not party mixes. So it’s almost like going back to the ‘10s when we listened via a 400-CD physical juke-box hooked up to the living room sound system, with a paper booklet printing out the CD names and their jukebox slots.

I am not fluent in this stuff, and I’m frustrated that I can’t operate it like I used to operate iTunes from the desktop or on my phone back when I hard-wire synched.

Anyone with the savvy to help me?

Last edited:
You might want to try iBroadcast.com. You can upload music from your personal library there (just drag and drop) and create playlists. I haven't used it much, but it seems pretty good.

I feel like “just drag and drop” for over 400 CDs doesn’t seem like it fits “just” as a modifier.
LOL

But thank you, I will check it out.

One additional question is whether I can make my LAN collection available to different speakers all over the house. Without sending information to Google or someone.

Yeah, I have almost 500 gigs of music (a lot of wav files), so Microsoft's One Drive's free capacity isn't nearly enough, but I can at least make some playlists. As to the LAN stuff around your house? I'm not able to help on that front.

I feel like “just drag and drop” for over 400 CDs doesn’t seem like it fits “just” as a modifier.
LOL
This sounds like a job for the "Select All" function.

LOL, you are talking to someone who had dial-up until 2015, and 15GB/mo limited satellite until 2021. You are, in short, talking to someone who has seen actual loading notifications, “Loading, expected completion 217 hours”. There’s some trauma response going on here! “Select All” was just a trigger for “download cancelled. Please start again.”

Are you looking for portability. Rip all your CDs to flac in a music folder then upload the folder to the cloud (Gdrive or MSDrive). They'll be available wherever you go.

Naw, it’s not so much portability. It’s really more looking for ability to do party mixes and playlists and album shuffling in my own house. It would be nice to be able to do it from more than one room, as a bonus.

(Also, I don’t know what flac is…)

And, what you can now rip your CDs to flac instead of MP3 and have a better sounding playback experience?

Does this mean I need to rip all my CDs again! Keeping up is exhausting!
(~ Rhea runs to get a party mix cassette and listen to that, damnit. Lessless Schmossless)

And, what you can now rip your CDs to flac instead of MP3 and have a better sounding playback experience?

Does this mean I need to rip all my CDs again! Keeping up is exhausting!
(~ Rhea runs to get a party mix cassette and listen to that, damnit. Lessless Schmossless)
I'm uncertain whether ripping CDs to FLAC makes much of a difference. As long as the CD MP3 rips you have are decent quality, 192 kbps or higher, you should be fine. I'd think FLAC would be noticable with high resolution DVD-Audio or Blu-ray Audio.

I use Plex via a Rasp Pi server to access music on TVs. Feeding to speakers throughout the house would be harder. If they smart speakers, you could use a Plex app on the phone to stream them there via bluetooth.

Back
Top Bottom