• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $493. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

We live in a universe designed, built, and run by the mafia.

pood

you people are convinced that I'm secretly a theist and you're trying to draw me out and expose me. You are all complete idiots and it's impossible to talk to you. keep believing what you want to believe and ignore what's right in front of you. I am exactly what I say I am.
What the hell?

pood

I just read the glitches in the Matrix thing. Are you kidding me? A bunch of silly photos are evidence that we are simulated because these photos are supposedly of glitches? They’re just silly photos! I’m sure the whole thing was intended humorously, and not to be taken seriously.
I thought it was interesting.... there are also stories talking about more complicated "glitches". Perhaps just about any real flaw/glitch wouldn't convince people of a simulation since it could just be seen as a hallucination..... (and some people believe in group hallucinations like Jesus ascending, etc)
It’s not interesting in any relevant sense to this discussion. It’s a joke. It’s a humor site.

steve_bank

Contributor
you people are convinced that I'm secretly a theist and you're trying to draw me out and expose me. You are all complete idiots and it's impossible to talk to you. keep believing what you want to believe and ignore what's right in front of you. I am exactly what I say I am.
Well. this post is right in front of me and I bleve what I read. A tememental person who can not support assertions and clams everyone else is crazy.

It is not unique on the forum, quite common.

One thing I would like to know. I have a sneaking suspicion even fear you myu say that I am textually in a coma dreaming and this forum is not real, a figment of my imagination. Is there any way to tell?

pood

So your OP was serious and not a joke? You think the mafia is running a simulation of reality? I thought it was a joke that precipitated good discussion. It never occurred to me that you were serious.

The universe is not an illusion. The universe is real and it exists inside a computer. It is inside a computer of limitless power and speed. A computer that is not made of atoms but made of a completely different sort of matter that does not exist in our universe. Our universe is full of death and suffering and only the mafia would be psychotic enough to create such a universe when they could have easily created a paradise.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Our universe is full of death and suffering and only the mafia would be psychotic enough to create such universe
If you think that it is bad for characters to suffer for a few decades what about the Christian belief that most people will suffer forever - and to a much worse degree than what is usually the case on earth?
In the Roy game and Alan Watt's dream experiment, the player chose this life involving suffering.... (but then temporarily forgot this) but in those cases it might only be the player who is suffering and not the other characters.
BTW it is somewhat common for sadistic Sims players to want to see the sims suffer:

Attachments

• sims-burning.jpeg
    sims-burning.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
BTW Elon Musk is also co-founder and CEO of Neuralink which involves futuristic technology - brain-computer interfaces - which could be used to link to simulations...
Other future technology he is knowledgable about includes colonising Mars (he wants there to be a million people there in the near future).

Last edited:
Our universe is full of death and suffering and only the mafia would be psychotic enough to create such universe
If you think that it is bad for characters to suffer for a few decades what about the Christian belief that most people will suffer forever - and to a much worse degree than what is usually the case on earth?
I am not a theist dude. What the hell do you think I think about it? There is no hell and only the mafia would be psychotic enough to send people to one if it did exist

pood

I’m aware of his Mars colonization plans. They are to laugh.

Elon Musk has no special knowledge about any of these topics. What he has is a lot of money. He finances projects worked on by people who do understand a lot of this stuff.

There will never be millions of people colonizing Mars. Mars is fantastically inhospitable to human life. It is far worse than Antarctica or the bottom of the ocean. While we do have a handful of doughty researchers spending some time in Antarctica, we have no cities there and no cities or presence at all on the bottom of the ocean. And those places are paradise next to Mars.

Humans are not going to colonize other planets or travel to the stars. A hundred years from now our population is likely to be radically reduced and the survivors will be struggling to feed themselves. That’s the real way things are going, not jejune fantasies about ancestor simulations or colonizing Mars.

abaddon

Veteran Member
Humans are not going to colonize other planets or travel to the stars. A hundred years from now our population is likely to be radically reduced and the survivors will be struggling to feed themselves. That’s the real way things are going, not jejune fantasies about ancestor simulations or colonizing Mars.
It might be the case that technological advancement tends to destroy civilizations. The wishfulness that a simulation is true relies on assuming that technophilic optimism is true. Techno-optimism is the notion that "advancing" is something that's very likely. And nobody knows that's true.

So anyone saying "it's likely" we're in a simulation just because they take it on faith that old civilizations eventually create lots of simulations, has no justification for considering that "it's likely".

The evidence here on earth is that technologically advancing animals destroy their environment. Maybe the reason we haven't detected civilization on other planets is that, if they make the mistake of going nuts over technology, the civilization collapses.

Elon Musk's argument is nothing but this irrational optimism. He has no grounds to assign likelihood to high-tech in the far future.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Elon Musk has no special knowledge about any of these topics. What he has is a lot of money. He finances projects worked on by people who do understand a lot of this stuff.
So are you saying he doesn't have a better understanding of reusable rockets and brain-computer interfaces than you do?
There will never be millions of people colonizing Mars.
A million people on Mars is Elon's dream - I don't think he is saying it will definitely happen. BTW there are plans for reusable SpaceX rockets that can carry 100 people at a time....
Mars is fantastically inhospitable to human life. It is far worse than Antarctica or the bottom of the ocean. While we do have a handful of doughty researchers spending some time in Antarctica, we have no cities there and no cities or presence at all on the bottom of the ocean. And those places are paradise next to Mars.
I think people would be even less comfortable on the international space station yet a few people live there.
Do you think people will ever live on the Moon?

DBT

Contributor
So are you saying he doesn't have a better understanding of reusable rockets and brain-computer interfaces than you do?
There will never be millions of people colonizing Mars.
A million people on Mars is Elon's dream - I don't think he is saying it will definitely happen. BTW there are plans for reusable SpaceX rockets that can carry 100 people at a time....
Mars is fantastically inhospitable to human life. It is far worse than Antarctica or the bottom of the ocean. While we do have a handful of doughty researchers spending some time in Antarctica, we have no cities there and no cities or presence at all on the bottom of the ocean. And those places are paradise next to Mars.
I think people would be even less comfortable on the international space station yet a few people live there.
Do you think people will ever live on the Moon?

People live on the space station for relatively short periods, all their needs being supplied by shuttles from earth. They don't need to be self sufficient, they don't need to contend with toxic soil, etc.

Top Bottom