• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
In the spirit of the lounge threads... what are you eating today? Could spin off recipes when there’s a lot of interest

For father’s day today, we made stroganoff. A shaved beef one for the carnivoures in the house and a Gardein brand beef tips version in chickpea pasta for the vegetarians.

It was delicious!

Grilled chicken burgers. Ground breast, minced green onions, bread crumbs, teriyaki sauce, some mustard, sesame oil, an egg.

Grilled alongside corn on the cob, and toasted the buns.
Surprisinly filling. I barely made it thru one....

Too much whisky last night is dictating that it's a tough day for food preparation, but I did have some Buffalo based Brie we picked up from the market yesterday. Partner can finally eat Brie now that the pregnancy is over, so we indulged in a few cheeses on Saturday.

Horchata, spiked with a bit of cheap whiskey and oat milk. It's ALMOST too sweet, but not too sweet for dessert. Summer Term, I'm ready for you!

Oh, eating, you said.

We had hot dogs.

A taco salad. Ground chuck or it could have been ground sirloin (Who can remember.) with organic spicy taco seasoning and black beans, chili lime hot sauce, jalapeno slices, chopped red onion, quartered grape tomatoes, cut lettuce, and as always, dairy free. Served on a paper plate and scooped with tortilla chips.
One spoon and one knife to wash.
Overall laziness rating: 7.5/10.

Last night we had my husband's delicious baked chicken that is as crispy and much tastier than fried chicken. We only eat organically grown chicken. It tastes so much better than the shit that comes from factory farms. We are fortunate in being able to afford the good stuff. We had fresh steamed broccoli, a mix of corn and other veggies from a frozen veggie mix, home made cranberry sauce and some fresh melon.

A fresh (picked yesterday) salad from the garden with a sprinkle of cheese, capers, kalamata olives and Italian dressing. That and some black bean burgers that didn't come out half bad. Also picked some strawberries that will make a nice dessert. For finishers it's time for gin/tonic/ice in the afternoon shade.

Rosemary Potatoes (nice side dish for 2)

All spices are the dry kind -- recalibrate my directions if you cook with the fresh kind.
Simmer one and a half t. of rosemary in one and a half T. of olive oil. (This will be your marinade base.)
While it simmers, boil 7 or 8 small redskin potatoes for 20 minutes.
Remove marinade from heat and spoon the potatoes onto a plate. When everything is cool enough to touch, slice each redskin in half. Pour marinade into shallow bowl and add additional spices (I like fresh ground pepper, oregano, basil, and garlic -- a good dash of each.)
Roll each redskin half in marinade and put on baking sheet. If you run low on marinade, add a little olive oil.
Into 350 degree oven. After 15 minutes, remove and flip each redskin over. Back in oven for 15 minutes.
Et voila.

We had a quick meal last night - Macaroni and Cheese mixed with steamed broccoli, tomato, and jalapeno, and a few croquettes from a nearby Dutch store.

Tonight I used up some week old, frozen salmon including a tail by stripping the flesh and making a stir-fry - mushrooms, zucchini, carrot, Tikka Masala sauce, home-made Garam Masala spice mixture, Calrose Brown Rice, and the salmon. That's the only way we can stomach eating the tail, especially after it's sat in the freezer for a while.

Tonight we had chicken and potatoes. I par cooked about 220g potatoes and 150g carrots. Later, I sautéed a large onion roughly chopped and added a large 380g diced chicken breast. I then added about 250g Chopped mushrooms. Let them cook down then added a bit of stock powder mixed with gravy powder and a bit of water. Season with salt and pepper and viola!

Mental note: Don't cook green Thai chicken curry, put red cabbage in it, and expect your kids to eat it.

It tastes fine, but looks like baby kak.

Pork with rice noodles.

The pork was marinaded overnight in soy sauce, corn starch and baking powder. Stir fried with shiitake, pak choi and red onions. Added an egg, the noodles, and a sauce of light and dark soy sauces and oyster sauce.

Spicy Beef and Vegetable Stew, and partner had a Spicy Pork Bibimbap from a local Korean restaurant. A restaurant that is proof that people born in Canada have no taste.

There's a popular Vietnamese restaurant near our house which cracked the 'medium-sized, predominantly white Canadian city' code. Food that's exotic enough that people think it's interesting, but bland enough that it doesn't turn anybody away. In other words, it's food, and it's cheap, but not great. The Korean restaurant we just picked up food from, on the other hand, and I don't exaggerate, makes some of the most flavourful food in the city. For those who like savory just very, very good food.

And yet local Korean places struggle to survive here, while the boring Vietnamese place is packed seven days a week.

Salmon, rice and asparagus. We broil the salmon with an olive oil, lemon juice and dill basting. For the vegetarians, the same basting on Quorn (micoprotein) filets. We like to use baba ghanouj as a dressing on the salmon.

Tonight, we had risotto with scallops and asparagus. I made the risotto, my lovely wife cooked the scallops and the asparagus.

Risotto is a bit time consuming - saute some onions, the add the arborio rice, then some white wine, then 3 cups of chicken broth (1/2 cup each once the previous broth has been absorbed), and at the end, some butter and grated parmesian cheese.

The scallops are sauteed in butter with some salt and pepper. The asparagus was broiled in some olive oil and garlic.

“Overnight Oatmeal” for breakfast from my daughter. She add 1/2 cup oatmeal (regular, not quick), 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 cup of fruit. You can add as much fruit as you want, and if you want you can add sweetener or cinnamon, etc.

Put it in a jar, screw on the lid, shake it up and put it in the frdge for tomorrow’s breakfast.

Today’s version is made with frozen fruit; peaches and sour cherries. Just pull out of fridge and eat. mmm!

Tonight is grilled steak, grilled corn on the cob, baked potatoes, and leftover salad.

Chili I made that had been frozen for a few weeks and that we took out of the freezer a few days ago. Originally I found a very good vegetarian chili recipe and was making that for a while, but in the last few batches I halved the beans and replaced them with ground beef. So the best of both worlds - the flavor of a vegetarian chili but with meat. It's very good.

This is the vegetarian chili recipe I use, but I ignore the crumbles, add extra jalapeno, onion, and garlic, and am flexible on the type of bean I use - usually just one type of bean that I cook from scratch too. I had someone recommend using Poblano's for the 'green chili pepper' requirement, but I could only find Pickled Pepperoncini locally, which seems to work pretty well.

All homemade (we've only eaten one prepared meal in 3 months, pizza):

Breakfast was homemade spinach-feta pies seasoned with garlic, thyme, and lemon zest.
Lunch was soy-ginger marinaded grilled salmon with blistered green beans and cashews in a sichuan sauce, plus a chilled wild lake rice salad with pecans, cherries, and apples.
Dinner was several unfiltered double IPAs, followed by some Indian curry seasoned grilled chicken thighs.

Back
Top Bottom