• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $550. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

What Are You Eating Today?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Just had a lunch of chickpea pasta with homegrown tomatoes and basil, topped with kalamata olives and mozzerella cheese.

laughing dog

Contributor
Hamburgers with a tomato and green pepper salad. The salad is fresh tomatoes and green peppers chopped up, sprinkled with some chopped garlic and then olive oil drizzled over it. The salad should sit for at least an hour before serving.

The salad gets better by the hour if you like garlic.

rousseau

Contributor
I made Creamy Caramelized Onion Soup tonight. I'd had similar soups from a few high-end restaurants over the years and decided I wanted to give it a stab myself. It took a bit of effort, but it was fantastic.

I made a few changes to the recipe. I used a medium white wine instead of Vermouth because it was the smallest / cheapest wine at the LCBO. I feel like the Vermouth would have improved the soup, but not at 20 dollars a bottle of alcohol we don't want. I also doubled the garlic and started cooking it about 15 minutes after the recipe called to do so. The recipe wanted me to add the garlic in with the leeks, shallots, and onion, and cook the mixture for 35 minutes. The garlic was sliced, but that still seemed far too long. My approach now is usually to under-cook it if I can.

The only real mishap I ran into was that the leek, shallot, onion mixture took a little too long to caramelize. It was supposed to become deep gold, but I got tired of waiting and eventually settled for partially caramelized.

Anyway, my wife tried it and she said: 'I like the way it makes me feel'

Tigers!

Veteran Member
Australian staple for tea tonight = meat and 3 veg.
Lamb, potato, pumpkin and peas.
All roasted except for the peas.

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
As soon as I had my coffee and banana this morning, I went downstairs and made and ate two creamy scrambled egg and cheese wraps while more eggs hard boiled for other stuff. After that, I did some dishes, made a giant pot of macaroni salad, a big tub of hummus, a slightly smaller tub of marinated grape tomatoes, and a cake (yellow with chunks of cholate and caramel candy crumbled on top), and then washed all the dishes I used.

So that's pretty much what I'll be eating every day for the week. I try to make stuff that I can prep all in one day so I don't have to do any more food prep work the rest of the week.

southernhybrid

Contributor
We had coconut shrimp with orange/apricot/pineapple sauce last night. Sides were Jasmine rice, steamed broccoli and some very delicious melon. That is probably my favorite thing for dinner. Mr. Sohy promised me he would make that a lot more often if I agreed to let him purchase an air fryer. He loves his new air fryer and he's been making a lot of sweet potato fries in it too. So, I no longer have to beg for coconut shrimp as he is fulfilling his promise to me. :joy:

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
We had coconut shrimp with orange/apricot/pineapple sauce last night. Sides were Jasmine rice, steamed broccoli and some very delicious melon. That is probably my favorite thing for dinner. Mr. Sohy promised me he would make that a lot more often if I agreed to let him purchase an air fryer. He loves his new air fryer and he's been making a lot of sweet potato fries in it too. So, I no longer have to beg for coconut shrimp as he is fulfilling his promise to me. :joy:

OMG all of that sounds amazing.

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
I am snacking on a big tub of homegrown grape tomatoes. Sun kissed deliciousness.

steve_bank

Contributor
I don't eat a lot of proceed food but once in a while.

Microwaved a potato, boiled hot dogs/peppers/onions, and mixed it with mustard.

T.G.G. Moogly

Formerly Joedad

Dude, you must have an iron stomach. Yoy!

Brought back some sourdough bread and green beans from the farmer's market. Steamed the beans and toasted the sourdough, drizzled on some EVOO, dash of salt. Fabulous.

steve_bank

Contributor

Dude, you must have an iron stomach. Yoy!

Brought back some sourdough bread and green beans from the farmer's market. Steamed the beans and toasted the sourdough, drizzled on some EVOO, dash of salt. Fabulous.

I was missing two important ingrediets, saurkraught and picles. I do not use salt so once in a while I like something salty.

My regular diet is mostly plant based. Rice, beans, and vegetables with some chicken, fish, beef, and eggs..

rousseau

Contributor
I made Pico de Gallo for my birthday. Very simple and quick, but you get a lot out of it. Dice onion, jalapeno and marinate in lime juice/salt. While that's marinating chop roma tomatoes and cilantro, then mix it all together and you're done.

We ate it with tortilla chips, but I imagine it has a variety of other uses.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
As soon as I had my coffee and banana this morning, I went downstairs and made and ate two creamy scrambled egg and cheese wraps while more eggs hard boiled for other stuff. After that, I did some dishes, made a giant pot of macaroni salad, a big tub of hummus, a slightly smaller tub of marinated grape tomatoes, and a cake (yellow with chunks of cholate and caramel candy crumbled on top), and then washed all the dishes I used.

So that's pretty much what I'll be eating every day for the week. I try to make stuff that I can prep all in one day so I don't have to do any more food prep work the rest of the week.

My wife does that weekly, just did it yesterday. Generally, stir-fried veggies with black beans and ground turkey or chicken. She also makes several fruit smoothies which she freezes, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, and low carb peach yogurt. She also cuts up apples into vanilla yogurt and tops them with crushed cinnamon Belvitas. She's lost about 50 lbs in the last 3-4 months eating this stuff.

I did the stacks of dishes she left for me today.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
I made Pico de Gallo for my birthday. Very simple and quick, but you get a lot out of it. Dice onion, jalapeno and marinate in lime juice/salt. While that's marinating chop roma tomatoes and cilantro, then mix it all together and you're done.

We ate it with tortilla chips, but I imagine it has a variety of other uses.

Atop Jasmine rice with chicken wings or Salmon.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
I was on my way home this afternoon and was feeling hungry. McDonalds, nah. Rallys, nope. Burger King, nuh uh. Shit, I've been wanting real Mexican for quite some time. My wife's idea of Mexican is Taco Bell. So I stopped at a place I've heard was good and got a chimi changa dinner, no beans. I was in heaven. I haven't had real Mexican in years. Added a jalapeno slice to every bite along with the spicy sauce. I have a feeling my heaven will turn to hell tomorrow morning when I hit the toilet.

It was worth it.

steve_bank

Contributor
Refried beans, ground beef or whole beef , rice, and a homemade tomato sauce is my 'Mexican' food.

Seasoning is cumin, curry, garlic powder , chili powder, cayenne pepper. It is all in the seasoning.

Today dinner was stir fried eggplant and tomato sauce.

rousseau

Contributor
I made a couple interesting dishes this weekend which I'd made before. On Saturday night tomato/garlic/basil pasta sauce which Italians call alla carrettiera. It had a bit of novelty when I made it last summer, but this time I realized it was more of a what are we going to have for dinner dish in Italy. It's just tomato, basil, garlic, and butter which were the most abundant ingredients where it was developed. It's amazing, though, how enjoyable a simple dish like this can be when you're using fresh ingredients.

Unfortunately I prepped the tomatoes a different way this time (puree) and so this one didn't turn out as well as the one I did last summer where I peeled and chopped. The tomato and basil both ended up being a bit over-cooked, still good, but lacking a bit of flavour.

Then last night I made the Cream of Caramelized Onion soup again. It turned out well but I just can't get the onion mix to caramelize completely, which I attribute to too much onion and too small of a pot. I might give a different recipe a go next time.

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
I got eggs in my grocery order but they wouldn't fit in the fridge so I took out the previous carton to see how many eggs were in it because maybe I could cook those up real quick and then only one carton would need space in the fridge. There were four eggs so I scrambled them with Swiss cheese and cream and then split the eggs between two wraps with some sliced turkey and tomatoes on top, salt and pepper, wrap them up, and I just had two delicious breakfast wraps for lunch. I'm stuffed.

Note to self: no need to spread butter on the wraps before putting the eggs on no matter how thinly spread. It'll just melt and leak as you're eating the wrap and it's totally not even necessary for flavor.

Tharmas

Veteran Member
Today breakfast was "pseudo" souffles. "Pseudo" because the egg whites are not separated and beaten separately, so it's much simpler. Still, they're quite fluffy. Filling is shredded mozzarella cheese, seasoned with pepper, and garlic salt and a dash or two of tabasco sauce to give it more flavor. Served with sides of sausage links and mixed fruit.

The little one is for the puppies, who generally share our Sunday breakfasts. Yes they are spoiled.

Souffles.jpg

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Oooh. Good idea. I have some egg whites. Fritatta or souffle’ would be a nice dinner.
Trying to decode what to do with some zucchini and tomatoes and chard. This will all come together nicely!

steve_bank

Contributor
Breakfast today sliced egg sandwich with cucumber and mayo, a peach, and coffee.

I have taken to boiling eggs and keeping in the fridge instead of cooking eggs in hth morning.

Tharmas

Veteran Member
For lunch today I had some chicken salad I bought at a local deli. To my taste it was a little bland, so I added Tabasco sauce, somewhat liberally, and mixed it all up. Voila! Buffalo chicken salad.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Made a pot of pepper soup. 2 lbs. ground chuck. 2 peppers, one yellow and one red. 3/4 of a red onion, and about a cup of chopped mushrooms. Broth was a 48 oz. bottle of V8 juice. seasoned with lots of garlic, a garlic and herb seasoning mix we like, some seasoned salt, and some Worcester sauce. Yummy.

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Today I made some cherry vanilla frozen yogurt to use up some of the fat free "half and half." It's not bad. The cherries I bought are tart and I didn't soak them in sugar or honey or anything. But other than that, it's pretty good. Not Ben & Jerry's by any means, but enjoyable and healthy.

This week's fare: macaroni salad, cream of spinach and mushroom soup, marinated tomatoes, turkey & swiss sandwiches, salads, and hummus wraps. In between, I snack on apples, grapefruit, and Outshine pops. Also had some sweet potato chips, but it's down to the small pieces so I sprinkle them on wraps and sandwiches. I feel like a queen this week with all this delicious food.

steve_bank

Contributor
Tomato soup.

I pureed a can of Roma tomatoes. Then I fine chopped what I had in the refrigerator. Celery, peppers, red cabbage, and zucchini.

The fresh vegetables plus the tomatoes tasted good without any seasoning. Heated for 90 seconds in the microwave and had with a slice of bread.

I had to find something to do with my new blender.

ideologyhunter

Veteran Member
I had to be out of the house after shampooing my carpets -- perfect excuse to drive to the nearest Waffle House (45 min. away) and have the house coffee with a pecan waffle. Okay, full confession, I had the shredded taters too. Why isn't there a Waffle House in every town?

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
I had to be out of the house after shampooing my carpets -- perfect excuse to drive to the nearest Waffle House (45 min. away) and have the house coffee with a pecan waffle. Okay, full confession, I had the shredded taters too. Why isn't there a Waffle House in every town?

I've never even seen a waffle house. We do have an IHOP but it sucks.

ideologyhunter

Veteran Member
I don't like IHOP (went there 20 years ago, was the only person there, since it was a slow time of day, and got "hotcakes" that were just above room temp.) No comparison with the mighty Waffle House!!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Finally dragging myself out of the not cooking doldrums caused by a few things. Made Seitan for the first time in half a year plus. Went with another recipe which included adding small amounts of soy sauce, molasses, oil, and nutritional yeast to the gluten mixture... and using vegatable stock. I usually used a vegan chicken bullion, but that isn't sold at the local market anymore. :( I always cook the seitan in a broth of water, molasses (1/4 cup), and a good helping of whole cloves. My wife and I noticed no difference in taste, which was odd. The original recipe, I just used gluten and the vegan broth.

Next time I make seitan, I'm using apple cider instead of stock. Might even cook it in a broth of cider and cloves.

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Planning to make some carrot soup today. Choices are carrot soup with carrot greens, carrot lentil soup or creamy thai curr carrot soup.

One recipe calls for celery, and I don’t havy any. But a search on “celery substitutes” comes up with green apples, which I have a LOT of, and might be interesting.

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Yesterday, I did a roast pork with crackling, and after eating said crackling and some roast pork, let it cool so it could be sliced thinly for Bilby’s lunches. There was a bit left over and as I needed to make salad for my lunches, made a salad to go with it for dinner last night. Neither of us felt like dinner last night, so we just pecked. So tonight, it’s roast pork, cold, with salad. :)

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
So far, the usual First Breakfast of banana and coffee. Haven't really thought about Second Breakfast yet. Maybe toast and apple butter.

Top Bottom