• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What do you get from watching movies/TV?

Brian63

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker/atheist/humanist
When I am watching, I am often placing myself in the shoes of the various characters and trying to determine what I would hypothetically do. What are the wise and unwise decisions? What are the moral and immoral decisions? What feelings would I have if [X] happened? So I end up learning a lot about myself by watching characters and storylines develop.

Another person I discussed this with mentioned that she does not think about that sort of stuff, and instead just watches for the entertainment. That applies to crime shows she watches, Lifetime movies. An exception will be for her Hallmark romance movies, where she sometimes does imagine herself in the positions of the characters. That all surprised me. There are some shows that we both enjoy a lot, and I am surprised that we enjoy them for such different reasons. I think the makers of the show had people like me more in mind when they make it than her. But it still worked on her.

When you are watching movies/TV, are you imagining yourself as the characters and thinking about your own hypothetical thoughts, feelings, behaviors if you were in their situation?

Back
Top Bottom