• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What happened to the Westboro Baptist Church?

senor boogie woogie

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
It has been quiet for many years from Topeka, Kansas home of the Westboro Baptist Church, who became famous for picketing funerals of dead service members and others, and just picketing people they did not like.

Assuming that everyone is familiar with Westboro, I was a follower of theirs for many years because I found them fascinating to say the least. A follower as in I also followed Michael Jackson before his untimely death in 2009 because the dude was so strange. Westboro was strange, coupled with my general fascination with religion made for good entertainment for many years.

I have seen so many videos and documentaries about them over the past 15 years or so. The church was founded by Fred Phelps back in the 1950's. The church is comprised mostly of relatives of the Phelps although there are a few people there not related to the Phelps but some are married to a Phelps.

For those familiar with who they are, what has been gathered about them lately....

Fred Phelps himself was excommunicated from the church near the end of his life. The details are murky and second hand but supposedly, (probably under the influence of dementia) he went to the "Rainbow House" across the street, which was owned by members of the homosexual community. Supposedly there were people outside and Fred was actually NICE to them and said that they "were good people". Supposedly some of Fred's family scurried him back to the compound, and not long after, went to a nursing home and died. Fred Phelps was actually a fascinating person believe it or not, and was insane. But because Fred "made amends" with the homosexuals next door, he was "excommunicated".

They don't picket anymore (to my current knowledge). This stopped in 2020, supposedly because of the "virus", but I feel it is just they had to do it when the elder Fred was alive and now he is dead, dont have to do it anymore. You do not have to obey your father when he is dead.

Steve Drain was a documentary filmmaker who did a piece on the Phelps and then converted to their religion and moved his whole family from Florida to Topeka, Kansas and became a true believer and probably next to Fred, was the biggest loudmouth of the group. He was kicked out with his wife several years ago, supposedly for differing with the church on the picketing and all that. I think the remaining Phelps just want their church and stop pissing people off, but Steve wanted to go on. Supposedly (because information is sketchy) Steve and his family were excommunicated, but one of the daughters (the second daughter) is married to someone in the church, so was she also kicked out? Supposedly, Steve went to Mississippi (why Mississippi?) to maybe start a new church but the guy has completely fallen off the radar.

Shirley Phelps was the spokesperson for the Church for many years, but after Fred died, the church started a "Council of Elders" which is all male, and had Shirley stop being the public voice since she is female and women are not allowed to teach. OK. At Westboro, a woman is not allowed to cut their hair because of something in the Bible, so it is easy to see a fundy woman because they have "Crystal Gail hair" down to their ass. Plus having to wear something on their head, because God hates a a femaele bare head. Religion hates women for some reason (not me, I love them!)

Many of the grandchildren have left, since they want to live free lives.

I am not a Christian but I supported their version of the Bible 100 percent. God is an angry being. Not everyone is "saved" in the end, only God decides who is and who isnt. They call it the elect and it comes from Calvinism. Makes sense to me, if God knows everything and everything that is going to happen then God knows who is going to Heaven and who is going to Hell (interestingly, a Westboro member, not a Phelps or a Drain stated on a radio show that Fred is in Hell because of the Rainbow House incident, seems Fred wasnt elect after all.)

But I do miss their antics, their videos, their warped sense of reality. Have they returned to picketing? Anyone see Steve Drain? Anymore updates?

Interesting. I've always maintained that we're all at least a little bit crazy/insane/mentally ill and it's only the degree that really matters, same as any other condition. What I've never been able to fully understand is how a person can be voluntarily drawn into practicing these extreme and bizarre behaviors. I haven't kept up with these assclowns but if they made the headlines again I'd probably enjoy appreciating the degree of their insanity.

https://godhatesfags.com/

There's the website. I don' know why anyone would miss these hateful creatures. But, they are still around and proudly demonstrating their hatred.

I think the Southern Poverty Law Center sums them up very well.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/westboro-baptist-church

The group is basically a family-based cult of personality built around its patriarch, Fred Phelps. Typified by its slogan, “God Hates F---,” WBC is known for its harsh anti-gay beliefs and the crude signs its members carry at their frequent protests.

In Its Own Words​

"Filthy sodomites crave legitimacy as dogs eating their own vomit & sows wallowing in their own feces crave unconditional love."
— Westboro Baptist Church news release, Jan. 15, 1998

"We told you, right after it happened five years ago, that the deadly events of 9/11 were direct outpourings of divine retribution, the immediate visitation of God’s wrath and vengeance and punishment for America’s horrendous sodomite sins, that worse and more of it was on the way. We further told you that any politician, any political official, any preacher telling you differently as to the cause and interpretation of 9/11 is a dastardly lying false prophet, cowardly and mean, and headed for hell. And taking you with him! God is no longer with America, but is now America’s enemy. God himself is now America’s terrorist."
— Fred Phelps, “9/11: God’s Wrath Revealed,” Sept. 8, 2006.

the Bible rarely mentions anything that resembles homosexuality, so I don't see how you can agree with their view of the Bible. They seem obsessed with hating gay people. That's pretty much all they got, when it comes right down to it. But, they are still around. They have sermons listed as recently as this month. They also claim that god sent the COVID virus, assuming it would help us repent or some bullshit like that. That's enough WBC for me.

But I do miss their antics, their videos, their warped sense of reality. Have they returned to picketing?
They fell off my radar many years ago. But back in the day, I'd log in to their website regularly. I just wanted to keep up with their insanity. I got the impression that as Fred became old and decrepit the whole thing fell apart.

I first heard of them when they were picketing the Mathew Sheppard funeral.

Contrarian that I am, I tried to start the "Leviticus Society" amongst my Christian friends. This was on the internet, of course.
I sent out messages explaining to all my Christian friends that Mathew Sheppard's executioners were simply following God's Law. Take Mathew outside town, beat him severely, and leave him to die, per Leviticus, Chapter 20, verse 16. We should start a fund and program providing aid and comfort to the guys who followed Mosaic Law and are now in prison due to a secular legal system. Really, these guys were in a Wyoming prison for following God's Law more than atheist laws about murder and stuff.

My Christian friends were not amused.

I caught some flack for that. But almost all of them knew that I'm a queer lapsed Catholic who excels at being difficult.

Much hilarity ensued. It was fun fielding the return messages.
Tom

Westboro is now passe. A minor freak show in the scheme of things. We have far more dangerous clowns out there. Christian Nationalists, Dominionists, Recontructionists, and GOP politicians support them.

Leviticus also commands stoning adulterers. Like Trump and Gingrich. It is God's command!

Totally with ya!

More to the point,
Jesus was very clear about divorce. Forbidden.

He said nothing about gay anything or abortion. At least, nothing that got mentioned in the Gospels.

Why are His Followers so strong on things He said absolutely nothing about, while dodging things that are clearly discussed in the Gospels?

Tom

Back
Top Bottom