• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is the frequency of protons and neutrons swapping due to pion exchange in atomic nuclei?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
I have been trying to find an answer to this, but not coming up with anything.

I know it is not the most important thing, and perhaps even a simplistic question to ask.

But anyone have an answer?

File:Nulcear_Force_anim.gif

533px-Nuclear_Force_anim.gif

I did the math and with a femtometer distance between nucleons it can't be faster than yoctoseconds, 10^-24 seconds.

Let me be not the first to declare clulessness but the first to prove it. I’ll do that by a series of tactics. First, I will completely misunderstand the question. Since it’s me, you can take that for granted and assume as much without fear. Second, I will draw on memory, and since most of what I’ve already forgotten wouldn’t be recollected accurately anyway, the fact the answer was never covered up in the dark recesses of memory to begin with, that too can be set aside as wholly unhelpful. Finally, I will begin building the bridge to your answer by either giving falsehoods that others will correct or it’ll be called out as irrelevant information that can be most useful for others to contrast with the right answer.

Your question assumes a falsehood—either that or a distorted meaning divergent to what is actually put to wording. They don’t exchange. So, no frequency. There are exchanges, but the protons and neutrons are not exchanged.

It sounds to me you’re interested in the frequency of whatever pion exchanges that do occur in the nucleus where the protons and neutrons reside. 26 nanoseconds?

Darn, I totally got dyslexic or something with the gif and the wikipedia article.

The protons and neutrons remain as such, but exchange pions. Pions with a different color charge than the receiving nucleon contains as the "real" quark?

Wait, so do these two following events happen between a proton and a neutron in a nucleus?

1.) Exchange from what was initially a proton of a positive pion (up quark, antidown quark) to what was initially a neutron?

2.) Exchange from what was initially a neutron of a negative pion (antiup quark, down quark) to what was initially a proton?

Back
Top Bottom