• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $923. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

C_Mucius_Scaevola

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
It's only a matter of time before this thread gets started here, so I might as well get the ball rolling ...

Anchorman 2
5/10

The first Anchorman was quite good, I thought, but this one's all pretty much the same only without the excuse of originality. A few good jokes, but the story didn't quite work for me.

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
What movie did you watch and how would you rate it?

Might as well resurrect this thread from the old place as well.

I finally got around to watching Falling Down. I don't remember which friend recommended it to me, but it was clearly overhyped. I found it rather mediocre. 4/10 stars sounds about right.

What really terrifies me is that a lot of people seemed to identify with the psychotic.

Mumbles

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
...and merged...

Also, A Good Day To Die Hard. 8/10, although these Movies (a podcast I like calls them Impossible White Man movies) deserve their own rating system.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Java Heat 5/10

Buddy copy movie sent in Indonesia with an American and a native as the mismatched pair. I liked the action scenes but the dialogue was annoyingly bad.

C_Mucius_Scaevola

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Irma La Douce 9.9/10

Great performances by Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. I honestly can't find anything wrong with this film.

Joni-san

Basic Beliefs
Humanist Atheist, with minor leaning to Buddhism and Taoism. Interested in Finnish Paganism.
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Well, it's a Marvel movie. It's a pretty good action flick with amusing scenes and sometimes surprisingly touching moments. I liked it more than the first movie. 9/10

Daioh

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Cars
4/10
So I finally saw this movie
And I have forgotten most of it already
I know people consider this movie to be a dark stain on the Pixar legacy
But truthfully it isn't really bad in any way
It is just a fully kids movie with nothing to appeal to anyone older (unlike pretty much every other Pixar movie)
So in the end it isn't bad but if you aren't a kid then just skip it because there is little here for you to watch

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
North by Northwest

10/10

Not Hitchcock's greatest artistic achievement, but a triumph of both popular entertainment and near-perfect execution when it comes to storytelling. We get some of Hitch's greatest set-pieces (crop-duster, art auction, Mount Rushmore), a fantastic cast (Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Martin Landau, etc.), and Bernard Herrmann's memorable score.

Narapoia

Basic Beliefs
Scientific humanist and an atheist
All the President's Men (1976)

An interesting film telling the story of the two journalists that uncovered the Watergate scandal - I was feeling a bit tired when I watched it which in hindsight was probably a mistake. It felt like the directors definitely did not do much to help spell out the story to the extent you would get these days and I probably needed to be in a more alert mood to follow 100%. Very interesting to see how the the mechanics of journalism at the time, spending a lot of time on interviews, techniques to encourage people to answer questions and give/confirm information. That said - it was not the most entertaining film I've seen in a while, it felt a bit too procedural. In addition neither Robert Redford nor Dustin Hoffman were particularly engrossing in their lead roles which was a bit disappointing.

7/10

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
All the President's Men (1976)

An interesting film telling the story of the two journalists that uncovered the Watergate scandal - I was feeling a bit tired when I watched it which in hindsight was probably a mistake. It felt like the directors definitely did not do much to help spell out the story to the extent you would get these days and I probably needed to be in a more alert mood to follow 100%. Very interesting to see how the the mechanics of journalism at the time, spending a lot of time on interviews, techniques to encourage people to answer questions and give/confirm information. That said - it was not the most entertaining film I've seen in a while, it felt a bit too procedural. In addition neither Robert Redford nor Dustin Hoffman were particularly engrossing in their lead roles which was a bit disappointing.

7/10

Yes. Those techniques are called "reporting," but modern journalists would get in trouble if they did things like that, because it would cost too much money.

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Drive Angry

6.5/10

This supernatural action thriller isn't really outstanding, but I found it entertaining and energetic. Nicolas Cage getting top billing is often a warning sign, but this time out his typically monotone performance is surprisingly appropriate, once the viewer learns about the very unique prison his character has broken out of. The key performance, however, is Amber Heard, who functions as the audience surrogate--a waitress who proves to be pretty handy in a scrap. William Fichtner is terrific and Billy Burke is a spooky villain.

Narapoia

Basic Beliefs
Scientific humanist and an atheist
Dredd (2012)

7.5/10

Second viewing. I didn't really know what to expect going into this one when I first watched it and was very pleasantly surprised. This just works as an action film and as a hyper-violent take on the comic book genre that leaves Watchmen a bit out in the cold. Seeing it again makes me realise how well they did with the atmosphere, pacing and action in this film. Something else I really enjoyed was the fact it was not the whole world at stake or aliens/monsters attacking Mega (New York) City. It was just another day for the Judges and the city in the (very) dystopian world of the comic. For me this is the best comic book adaptation outside the Batman series and the Avengers - ironic considering the 1995 version is probably the worst

I wouldn't have thought of Karl Urban as the best choice for the lead but he does an excellent job - another review I read described his performance as 'ego-less' - he doesn't mind playing Dredd as per the comic and with half his face covered for the entire film. Despite being the titular lead he is not really the main character - that would be his psychic side-kick Anderson who does a great job a well.

Very entertaining film - though probably avoid if you don't like uber-violence.

Daioh

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Noah
6/10
Ok so I was kinda sceptical going into this movie but willing to at least give it a go
and while I wasn't blown away by it
It was entertaining
The story was a little slow and silly at times, but the actors all kept going and just worked with it so you can forgive the silly and sit through the slow easily enough
As for the characters I would put them into two camps, the good which includes Crowe, Watson, Winstone and Connelly, and the forgettable which is the three sons of noah who are all there but not really standing out
The effects are solid and the action well done
And so overall I would say that this was a genuine surpirse as I would not have thought this movie could work
and definitely a solid watch

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
7/10
Captain America is back
This movie does well with what it is trying to do
It moves the characters of Captain America, Black Widow and Nick Fury forward, it gives us some nice new additions in the form of Batroc, The Winter Soldier and Falcon as well as some tantalising cameos for Age of Ultron
I still thought that it would be nice to give Maria Hill more to do but that might just be me
Now the story is solidly done overall, not flawless but I will admit that it makes up for any shortcomings by being very entertaining
The actors all play their parts well and I liked all the new additions (and look forward to future cameos/appearances)
And the effects are all well done
So yeah if you like the Marvel movies then I would easily rank this one as one of their stronger movies

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Tremors

8/10

A fun, fast-paced and unpretentious film with all the virtues of the best B-movie sci-films of the 1950s, it deserves its cult classic status. Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward are solid heroes, Finn Carter had her one big movie moment as the plucky geologist heroine, but the movie is stolen by Michael Gross as the slightly crazy, very heavily armed survivalist, Burt Gummer.

bradw

Basic Beliefs
asdfasdf
Noah (2014)

Aronofsky tried to flesh out a very thin story with his own mythology.

I thought it was a mess. Weak story and poor CG.

5/10

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Body Heat

9/10

Lawrence Kasdan's directing debut is this, pardon the pun, sizzling contemporary noir. It doesn't really do anything new in the genre, but Kasdan basically seduces the viewer with a delicious take on a lot of the standard noir conventions, helped by terrific leads Kathleen Turner, as dangerous a femme fatale as you'll ever see onscreen, and William Hurt, who, like the best of film noir saps, thinks he's in control of events when he's actually being manipulated. Ted Danson is delightfully sarcastic in a supporting role.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Irma La Douce 9.9/10

Great performances by Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. I honestly can't find anything wrong with this film.
Jack Lemmon starts going over the top a bit when he plays the rich guy. But that's another story.

Vicar Philip

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Captain Phillips 10/10

From the opening scene to the end Tom Hanks had me hooked. Suspenseful, just believable enough, and it made you feel the point of view of both parties. I'm not a rah-rah Merica Right or Wrong person but seeing the battleships coming at the pirate craft reminded me how stupidly powerful our military is.

Basic Beliefs
Atheism
The Muppets: Most Wanted - 6/10. I absolutely loved the previous outing, but this just fell flat. Not terrible, just flat.
The Lego Movie - 7.5/10. Great fun, but disjointed here and there. Maybe a touch too kiddish?
Captain America: The Winter Solder - 10/10. Just a blast, start to finish.

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral

7/10

This John Sturges film is neither the best nor the worst cinematic retelling of the story of Wyatt Earp (Burt Lancaster), Doc Holliday (Kirk Douglas), and the 1881 shootout in Tombstone, AZ, which made them famous. It's a pretty good action western, but it is very unsubtle, even heavy-handed, in both script and tone. I've often felt that it would have worked better if the two leads had switched roles. Douglas excelled at portraying characters like the rigidly righteous Earp of the script, while Lancaster, although his rugged physique would have been even less apt for the tubercular Holliday than was Douglas, was a master at playing morally ambiguous protagonists.

steve_bnk

Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
Django

1/10

The most absurd stupid movie I have ever seen.

A preponderance of the words nigger and white boy wita little black rap..

A rather silly black character version of Clint Eastwood in his spaghetti westerns.

You go your A movies and B movies, this one is a D.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Overall, this is a really good film. I'd say on par with the first Ironman, with the bonus of this not being an origins film.

I think the story falls a little with the cliche infiltrated plot line. Additionally said infiltration of Hydra, while interesting, seemed entirely unpredictable. Instead of leading up to a potential infiltration with a hint here and there... it just is. That felt a bit betraying, plot wise.

The film was shot well, overall the plot does hold together, and the characters do develop decently. The individual mind sets of each of the Avenger characters is getting laid out pretty well.

3 of 4

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God
My main problem with Cap II is that there just seemed to be way too many Hydra agents. I get that they infiltrated some key positions, had a few teams of bad guys, etc, but it looked like they had a huge number of evil people who were content to just sit there and spend a few decades as sleeper agents until they got activated early by Fury figuring out something was wrong. It got worse in the SHIELD TV show (despite it being one of the most awesome hour's of television that I've seen in a long time) when Hydra took over like every single SHIELD base in the world. It's overdoing the infiltration plotline just a little bit.

The Hail Hydra meme that's going around the internet with all the pics is pretty funny, though.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
My main problem with Cap II is that there just seemed to be way too many Hydra agents. I get that they infiltrated some key positions, had a few teams of bad guys, etc, but it looked like they had a huge number of evil people who were content to just sit there and spend a few decades as sleeper agents until they got activated early by Fury figuring out something was wrong. It got worse in the SHIELD TV show (despite it being one of the most awesome hour's of television that I've seen in a long time) when Hydra took over like every single SHIELD base in the world. It's overdoing the infiltration plotline just a little bit.

The Hail Hydra meme that's going around the internet with all the pics is pretty funny, though.
Agreed. They didn't infiltrate it, Shield was it.

The other thing was

They go through all this trouble creating that guy's brain on tape (to be honest, I don't think the facility was anywhere large enough to do that), and just blow it up without a second thought. Couldn't they have simply locked down the facility, nerve gas or something and kept the brain on tape?

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God
Agreed. They didn't infiltrate it, Shield was it.

The other thing was

They go through all this trouble creating that guy's brain on tape (to be honest, I don't think the facility was anywhere large enough to do that), and just blow it up without a second thought. Couldn't they have simply locked down the facility, nerve gas or something and kept the brain on tape?

Ya, that made no sense at all. They have him on computer, but don't back him up to any better servers or anything over the past 40 years? He has enough of an internet connection to launch missiles at himself but not enough to sign up for a SkyDrive or something to save a copy? He's a key player in the implementation of a machiavellian plot that Hydra's spent generations working on, but he's not worth so much as having an unpaid intern hang around to make a phone call if he's threatened? His inclusion in the movie was just a completely useless aside.

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
Ya, that made no sense at all. They have him on computer, but don't back him up to any better servers or anything over the past 40 years?

Do we know that he isn't backed up to the cloud somewhere?

Zola is a major villain in the Cap America universe, second perhaps only to Red Skull in frequency of appearance. And that's a oft-used trope in comics:

Hero: "You! I thought you were dead!*"

*ED: See Issue #348

Villain: "Fool! You only defeated a (copy|clone|backup|mirage|whathaveyou) of my essence! With my power, I will always survive!!"

Veritass

Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanist
The Wolf of Wall Street -- 4/10

Academy Award nominee for Best Picture? Really? This movie was boring. I was never engaged, and didn't give a crap about whether any of the characters thrived or died. There wasn't a single real person in the picture; they were all charicatures. Over-the-top use of gratuitous T&A; I'm surprised it pulled off an "R" rating, but that's Scorcese for you. I'll give you Jonah Hill as a nominee for Best Supporting Actor, but not DiCaprio for Best Actor.

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God
Do we know that he isn't backed up to the cloud somewhere?

Zola is a major villain in the Cap America universe, second perhaps only to Red Skull in frequency of appearance. And that's a oft-used trope in comics:

Robert Redford confirmed that he's dead and that they lost Zola as a result of Captain America's actions.

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
Robert Redford confirmed that he's dead and that they lost Zola as a result of Captain America's actions.

I missed that on my viewing.

But...

Pfft to that. First, RR is one of the villains, so he's not to be trusted. Second, Zola's more than capable of concealing his own machinations, even from someone he might consider his superior.

Daioh

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Lego Movie
7/10
I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this movie
And when it was over I found myself entertained and happy
This is a movie that has good characters, beautiful animation and a good array of jokes and comedic moments
it doesn't go overboard with references and it doesn't stoop to the lowest forms of humour
And in the end it was entertaining from start to finish with a few heartfelt moments in between
So I can say that this movie is definitely worth a watch

Cars 2
5/10
Ok so this is definitely better then the first movie (Whos biggest crime was being just kinda bland)
But it isn't alot better
Mostly because of Mater
If you can stand Mater then the new characters will generally entertain and the story will be a solid watch
If you can't stand Mater then this movie is not for you
So in the end it is an ok movie that you can take or leave denpending on your views about Mater

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I missed that on my viewing.

But...

Pfft to that. First, RR is one of the villains, so he's not to be trusted. Second, Zola's more than capable of concealing his own machinations, even from someone he might consider his superior.

Doesn't matter. Based on simple extrapolation, about 95% of the world population will be Hydra by the next Captain America film. By the 4th, everyone but him will be... and he'll still win.

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
Swimming to Cambodia

7/10

I'd seen it a long time ago, but watched it again today. The late Spalding Gray delivers a monologue (as he is know for) centered around his experiences filming a small part in the movie The Killing Fields.

No special effects. No big production values. Just one guy sitting at a table in a tiny theater, occasionally looking down at his notebook. There's some basic (but well done) camera work, lighting changes, and some apparent edits, but other than that, just one guy telling a story.

And a fascinating one at that. It is a couple degrees separated from the Vietnam War (a movie about a guy who was in a movie about one of the unintended consequences of one bombing campaign associated with that war), but at the end of the day it really is about Vietnam...the centerpiece of our misguided adventure in Southeast Asia.

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
How to Steal a Million

7/10

This comic caper film is lightweight, even by the standards of the genre. However, it benefits enormously from the plucky heroine played by Audrey Hepburn, before whose ingenuous charms even the most cynical viewer can suspend their disbelief for a couple of hours.

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The Palm Beach Story

9/10

This delightful comedy comes from the middle of the 1940-44 period when Preston Sturges could do no wrong as a writer-director and is a very good example of the zany sophistication that gave his comedies a unique quality. Claudette Colbert, a great comic actress, gave one of her best performances, bandleader/crooner Rudy Vallee had his best film role ever as John D. Rockefeller, er, Hackensacker III, and Joel McCrea, not someone you'd think of as a comic great, is very effective as a foil for both of them as well as for much of the rest of the cast. Robert Dudley has a memorable cameo as the Wienie King.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I just couldn't resist watching Sharkanado again to see if it's as bad as it was when I first watched it. Second time round is even worst, trust me. The actors including the bimbo Tara Reid are just going through the motions. Surely they can act slightly better than that. A shark appears in the bimbo's lounge and eats her daughters boyfriend. enough said!
1.5/10 :rolleyes:

dockeen

Basic Beliefs
Ex-Tian, now a general seeker
Finally got around to watching Thor 2. Exceeded my low expectations. Ending raised some...interesting questions.

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God
I just couldn't resist watching Sharkanado again to see if it's as bad as it was when I first watched it. Second time round is even worst, trust me. The actors including the bimbo Tara Reid are just going through the motions. Surely they can act slightly better than that. A shark appears in the bimbo's lounge and eats her daughters boyfriend. enough said!
1.5/10 :rolleyes:

Plus, what was the bit at the end when he cut the girl out of the shark that had fallen from the sky and she was OK? Even given every single nonsensical and illogical scene in the hour-and-a-half before that, that just made me say "Now, that's a bit unbelievable".

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Plus, what was the bit at the end when he cut the girl out of the shark that had fallen from the sky and she was OK? Even given every single nonsensical and illogical scene in the hour-and-a-half before that, that just made me say "Now, that's a bit unbelievable".
When you have a movie that makes comic book films absolutely believable, you know there are issues with the integrity of the plot.

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
Pitch Perfect - Fun movie if you like acapella pop music. Some clever music montages.

About Time - From the makers of Love, Actually, this is another quirky British romantic comedy that's got me crushing pretty hard on Rachel McAdams.

prideandfall

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
highly anti-religious agnostic
Stoker:
first 80 minutes: 7/10
last 19 minutes: 1/10
overall: 4/10

very atmospheric and somber, a lot of cool and interesting cinematography, bit on the artsy-for-its-own-sake side and for a lot of it i was like "da fuq am i watching?"
but it was very pretty to look at so i didn't mind.
then the first act happened and it was like the makers of the movie went "shit, we've been faffing off with cool imagery for 80 minutes, we need to wrap this up... uh... quick, what's the most fucking cliched 'twist' plot you can think to chuck at this?" and then just filmed that.
rather totally ruined the film, overall.

this actually a very prominent running theme in movies directed by Chan-wook Park, so maybe that's just his signature move... make an interesting and enthralling movie which you turn to complete shit with an utterly retarded final 10-20 minutes.

angelo

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
atheist
The House Bunny What a bunny of a film. Changed channels after 15 mins. The plot, [what plot] A former Playboy bunny moves into a sorority house. As an admirer of the female form I thought there would be plenty in this flick to make me happy.

But even a voyeur should steer clear from this excuse for a film. 1.5/10

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Tremors II: Aftershocks

7.5/10

A true rarity--a direct-to-video sequel to a feature film that's actually fairly watchable. The modest budget (about one-third that of the first film) shows at times, but this one is energetic and entertaining. Fred Ward returns from the first film as a solid protagonist, Helen Shaver is the good-looking geologist this time around, but the movie-stealer is, again, Michael Gross as survivalist Burt Gummer, more heavily-armed than ever before.

Top Bottom