• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

White college students: riot and destroy property. Police: “Meh.”

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news...ave-students-angry-wanting-answers/7284583002

Taras, an Ohio State senior studying strategic communications and business, had been hanging out at her neighbor's house on Chittenden Avenue while nearly 1,000 students partied outside their door at "ChittFest," an annual block party held the day of OSU's spring football game.

“The police dispatcher told me, and I quote, 'They have other things to worry about and they'll come down when it's safe for them,'" said Taras, 22, of Cleveland. "I'm really disappointed there were no police there."

Students such as Taras are still angry that police officers didn't respond sooner. She wondered why officers didn't respond to students destroying property the same way they responded to Black Lives Matter protesters over the summer.

"What does that have to say about this summer? People were peacefully protesting and got pepper sprayed. People flip cars on campus and nothing. No repercussions, no arrests," Taras said.

Damage to buildng, cars and people.
But, don’t worry, they were white.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news...ave-students-angry-wanting-answers/7284583002

Taras, an Ohio State senior studying strategic communications and business, had been hanging out at her neighbor's house on Chittenden Avenue while nearly 1,000 students partied outside their door at "ChittFest," an annual block party held the day of OSU's spring football game.

“The police dispatcher told me, and I quote, 'They have other things to worry about and they'll come down when it's safe for them,'" said Taras, 22, of Cleveland. "I'm really disappointed there were no police there."

Students such as Taras are still angry that police officers didn't respond sooner. She wondered why officers didn't respond to students destroying property the same way they responded to Black Lives Matter protesters over the summer.

"What does that have to say about this summer? People were peacefully protesting and got pepper sprayed. People flip cars on campus and nothing. No repercussions, no arrests," Taras said.

racist white?

The police should have come earlier, and I hope they are successful in prosecuting the property damagers. A useful illustration of what would happen if you defunded the police.

The police should have come earlier, and I hope they are successful in prosecuting the property damagers. A useful illustration of what would happen if you defunded the police.

'Defund the police' would not hamper their ability to respond to this in any way.

'Defund the police' would not hamper their ability to respond to this in any way.

Of course it would. Defund the police means fewer police. Fewer police means more crime.

Every single person who called for defunding the police has blood on their hands--the blood of the hundreds of extra homicides that occurred because of fewer police.

Well, we could put an end to college football. Let the NFL pull players from a farm system like the other major sports. Football should not be a course of study at any university. And of the "education" these athletes receive while attending university? I've yet to delve into it. That will be this afternoon's reading. But I'll bet there are a lot of bullshit degrees and/or gundecking of said degrees.

And if that doesn't cool these students jets.
And I suspect it won't.

We go to my original plan of every college bound graduating high school student spending two to four years in the military or arduous duty for a charity. Upon completion, their studies, books, housing are paid for by the government. No student loans to pay off. Responsible adults entering college instead of high school kids. College attrition rates drop. Youngsters get pulled out of their social bubbles for a time and really see how the other half live.

Win. Win. Win.

Win. Four wins.

Oh, and the charities/humanity benefit greatly. That's a yuge fifth win.

A useful illustration of what would happen if you defunded the police.

What an idiotic comment.

This is only a useful illustration of what is happening right now without defunding the police.

Things that are happening without defunding police in no way illustrate what would happen if you defund police.

It happened when the police weren't "defunded". How could that be an example of what would happen if you "defund" them?

Well, we could put an end to college football. Let the NFL pull players from a farm system like the other major sports. Football should not be a course of study at any university. And of the "education" these athletes receive while attending university? I've yet to delve into it. That will be this afternoon's reading. But I'll bet there are a lot of bullshit degrees and/or gundecking of said degrees.

And if that doesn't cool these students jets.
And I suspect it won't.

We go to my original plan of every college bound graduating high school student spending two to four years in the military or arduous duty for a charity. Upon completion, their studies, books, housing are paid for by the government. No student loans to pay off. Responsible adults entering college instead of high school kids. College attrition rates drop. Youngsters get pulled out of their social bubbles for a time and really see how the other half live.

Win. Win. Win.

Win. Four wins.

Oh, and the charities/humanity benefit greatly. That's a yuge fifth win.

I agree with your first paragraph and would include basketball as well, although that does not attract the same level of misbehavior on the part of fans. Too many academic programs are holding go fund me campaigns to raise money for basic equipment for students.

But I do NOT agree with compulsory military service. No one should be compelled to kill or risk being killed in order to get a decent education, nor should they have to risk being raped as is a risk that primarily but not completely affects females in the military.

Nor do I think that charitable organizations and nonprofits should be put in the position of having to supervise/babysit unwilling would-be students who are ‘volunteering’ in order to be able to go to school. Besides, students often serve unpaid internships as part of their education and people are PAID to direct and supervise these students because it’s a lot of work!

I write this as someone who has spent a number of years as a volunteer and organizing and supervising volunteers and have listened to a lot of teachers bemoaning the increase in their workload to have to supervise student teachers ( fir which they were given extra compensation but not always sure it was worth it.)

I’m all fir volunteer work but it’s not volunteer if it is compulsory. I’m all for public service—I have spent much of my life either volunteering or working for non profits and my husband teaches at a university and I have family members in the armed services and who are public defenders.

Public universities used to be much better funded by the public. If we returned to a model of funding public education such that the state provided 70% or more of the cost of such education, we would reduce much of the issue with the overwhelming student debt so many young adults face. Additionally student loans should be interest free, repayment prorated according to pay upon graduation and forgiven if the graduate serves in some professions or has some mitigating circumstances.

Defund the police means fewer police.

Yeah, the PROPERTY DAMAGE is BLM's fault.
Isn't it always?
Funny how none of our conservotards are courageous enough to condemn out of control white mobs when they rape and pillage.
It's just a few bad apples, and you hope they get caught. Right, Meta?
But if it's a BLM protest and the local police feds etc. bash a few head, tear gas them ALL, arrest a few dozen just for being there - that's proper treatment.
Because
Capture.JPG

No, it is a fully funded police force ignoring a riot.

A useful illustration of what would happen if you defunded the police.

What an idiotic comment.

This is only a useful illustration of what is happening right now without defunding the police.

Things that are happening without defunding police in no way illustrate what would happen if you defund police.

Sure they do. Defund the police and the police will not show up sometimes. Abolish the police and the police will never show up.

Defund the police means fewer police.

Isn't it always?
Funny how none of our conservotards are courageous enough to condemn out of control white mobs when they rape and pillage.
It's just a few bad apples, and you hope they get caught. Right, Meta?
But if it's a BLM protest and the local police feds etc. bash a few head, tear gas them ALL, arrest a few dozen just for being there - that's proper treatment.
Because
View attachment 33071

Yes, I hope everyone who destroyed property, rapes, pillages, or otherwise committed a crime gets caught and punished. Don't you feel the same?

Where does it say they were all white?

Yes, police should have been more active here. That does not mean police are wrong in responding to political riots.

Funny how property damage to you leftists is only a problem when football fans or right wingers do it. When it is #BLMers or Antifas, then it's just "constitutionally protected protesting" when they vandalize or loot businesses and set things on fire.

Or occupy territory. Authorities in Seattle, Portland and Minneapolis have been very lax regarding the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, the Red House autonomous zone and the George Floyd autonomous zone, respectively. Lots of property damage too, and some deaths. But no matter, can't blame the right or (supposedly, the OP article does not say) white football fans for it, so it's not considered significant. :rolleyes:

Funny how property damage to you leftists is only a problem when football fans or right wingers do it.

Funny how you fail to notice that nobody subscribes to your strawman.
Not funny: that you decline to acknowledge that murdering people is worse than property damage.

Yes, I hope everyone who destroyed property, rapes, pillages, or otherwise committed a crime gets caught and punished. Don't you feel the same?

Yes, Meta, yes I do. I wish every single bit of malicious mischief, vandalism, arson and every other form of intentional property damage was justly punished.
But I do not agree that if it's a BLM protest and the local police feds etc. bash a few heads, tear gas them ALL, arrest a few dozen just for being there when a tiny fraction of the cause Property Damage - that it's proper or just treatment. Most of all I don't agree that it's worse than murder.
Do you?

Funny how you fail to notice that nobody subscribes to your strawman.

You do. You downplay property damage (you even have a silly image) every single time.

Not funny: that you decline to acknowledge that murdering people is worse than property damage.
Of course murder is much worse than property damage. But that does not mean property damage is insignificant. Or that the perps are justified or should be let go just because they are upset over some police shooting or other.

Remember, #BLM directly advocates looting.

Back
Top Bottom