• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

White women voting for Trump increased in 2020. WHAT the heck?!!

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
In another thread, I wanted to see if the % of white women voting for Trump increased or decreased in 2020. I was stunned to see that it increased to 55% in 2020 vs 47% in 2016. That's just such a shocking number that I thought it deserved it's own thread:

https://truthout.org/articles/yes-55-percent-of-white-women-voted-for-trump-no-im-not-surprised/

I really think that the left needs to find the why behind this trend or the Trumpsters are going to win again in 2024, and that might be our last free election. What's going on here? I'm wondering if the left has gone to far regarding feminism? Maybe it's a safety issue? I'm sure that religion plays a large part. I've tried to find some articles on this, but couldn't find any with compelling reasons.

I really think that the left needs to find the why behind this trend or the Trumpsters are going to win again in 2024, and that might be our last free election. What's going on here?
why does "the left" need to find out anything?

but, aside from that, the answer is known and it's incredibly simple: trump is the living embodiment of the conservative political ideology, he couldn't be more of a perfect encapsulation of everything that conservatism values and champions.
they vote for him because he is everything they find virtuous in a human being, and so politically he's the natural end-state for their entire demographic as a political philosophy.

there's nothing more to discover here - republicans found the culmination of the entirety of their belief system in living flesh, of course they vote for it.

I'm wondering if the left has gone to far regarding feminism?
or perhaps the antediluvians have gone too far regarding asparagus?

Maybe it's a safety issue? I'm sure that religion plays a large part. I've tried to find some articles on this, but couldn't find any with compelling reasons.
it's really not complicated at all, it's like asking why a person who loves burgers is eating a burger.

Here is my explanation. Women tend to care what other women think and if other women like something then they must have it too, regardless of how ridiculous they might look in it. It's a sexual selection thing. It explains other weirdness like covid crazies too. Men, on the other hand, don't care what other men think, there is simply no need for that.

but, aside from that, the answer is known and it's incredibly simple: trump is the living embodiment of the conservative political ideology, he couldn't be more of a perfect encapsulation of everything that conservatism values and champions.
they vote for him because he is everything they find virtuous in a human being, and so politically he's the natural end-state for their entire demographic as a political philosophy.

there's nothing more to discover here - republicans found the culmination of the entirety of their belief system in living flesh, of course they vote for it.

or perhaps the antediluvians have gone too far regarding asparagus?

Maybe it's a safety issue? I'm sure that religion plays a large part. I've tried to find some articles on this, but couldn't find any with compelling reasons.
it's really not complicated at all, it's like asking why a person who loves burgers is eating a burger.

Why does the left need to figure this out? I'll tell you why, because we'll be a permanent minority power if we don't. There are more women voters than men. But more importantly, we're clearly not addressing the issues of a significant voting block. And they are turning to Trump to get that satisfied. I think that we need to figure out what that is.

Why does the left need to figure this out? I'll tell you why, because we'll be a permanent minority power if we don't.
well, two things:
1. how will finding out 'the reason' far-right people vote for the most perfect candidate for their party in 45 years answer the problem of why there is a lack of engagement for a center-right party?
i don't see how republicans being excited to vote for their id literally manifested into the physical sphere is particularly relevant to huge numbers of people having no representation in politics and thus not engaging.

2. quite frankly if "the left" is a minority in the US, then it *should* be a minority power. that's how democracy works.

There are more women voters than men. But more importantly, we're clearly not addressing the issues of a significant voting block. And they are turning to Trump to get that satisfied. I think that we need to figure out what that is.
none of this makes any sense.
if by "we" you mean "the left" and by "voting block" you mean... what, women? then the answer is simple: trump is what they want out of a politician.

"trump is a glorious, virtuous person who embodies my values in every way and is everything i want to public figure"

that isn't a statement that i personally feel, but it is the sentiment of the people who vote for trump.
what exactly do you think can be addressed in that?

Why does the left need to figure this out? I'll tell you why, because we'll be a permanent minority power if we don't.
well, two things:
1. how will finding out 'the reason' far-right people vote for the most perfect candidate for their party in 45 years answer the problem of why there is a lack of engagement for a center-right party?
i don't see how republicans being excited to vote for their id literally manifested into the physical sphere is particularly relevant to huge numbers of people having no representation in politics and thus not engaging.

2. quite frankly if "the left" is a minority in the US, then it *should* be a minority power. that's how democracy works.

There are more women voters than men. But more importantly, we're clearly not addressing the issues of a significant voting block. And they are turning to Trump to get that satisfied. I think that we need to figure out what that is.
none of this makes any sense.
if by "we" you mean "the left" and by "voting block" you mean... what, women? then the answer is simple: trump is what they want out of a politician.

"trump is a glorious, virtuous person who embodies my values in every way and is everything i want to public figure"

that isn't a statement that i personally feel, but it is the sentiment of the people who vote for trump.
what exactly do you think can be addressed in that?

First off, you make the assumption that our democracy will survive if Trump is elected in 24. Not sure if I'd make that assumption. He tried to steal the election in 2020. You can't have a democracy in any form if the votes from one side dosn't count.

Secondly, you have a much more jaded view of white women that I do. I don't think that they voted for him because he "embodies my values"! People were surprised that the Latin vote is moving republican. Well, experts believe that it has to do with the fact that they tend to be pro-business, entrepreneurial and pro-economic development. Religion seems to drive it also. We know why older white men tend to vote republican. Why is it taboo to discuss what might be driving white women this direction?

I strongly doubt that more white women voted for Trump in 2020.

It does kinda make you wonder about the data collection methods. It's not impossible I suppose. But it just doesn't feel right.
Tom

First off, you make the assumption that our democracy will survive if Trump is elected in 24. Not sure if I'd make that assumption.
i don't think it's much of an assumption quite frankly, and the implication behind what you're saying is giving a hell of a lot more credit to trump as a person and the carny show of an administration he puts together than they deserve.

i would counter that a generally corrupt and only vaguely democratic political system is what the US has had for at least 150 years, arguably since its inception - pointing at trump and going "ok THIS is the one that is going to break the whole thing down" seems rather short sighted and silly to me.

this festering disease that is the US political system has been oozing its way along for quite a while and trump isn't a threat to it.
what IS a threat however is the degenerate shitbags that constitute the ideological right getting their own personal jesus as president and getting uppity, at the same time that what is ostensibly an opposition party sits back and whinges about the whole thing.
the threat to the US is an ideological one, not a political one.

He tried to steal the election in 2020. You can't have a democracy in any form if the votes from one side dosn't count.
hi, the year 2000 called, it would like its timely and relevant observations about politics back.

he tried and failed to steal an election. other far more competent republicans have already stolen elections.
this is like looking at brock lesnar coming at you from one direction and steven stegal coming at you from another and deciding to run away from steven segal.

Secondly, you have a much more jaded view of white women that I do. I don't think that they voted for him because he "embodies my values"!
my view isn't jaded, it's simple realistic and not veiled in some delusional fantasy that my personal political views are the default setting for reality and that anyone who deviates from it is mistaken and must be corrected.

also, you're wrong in what you think about why they voted for him.

People were surprised that the Latin vote is moving republican. Well, experts believe that it has to do with the fact that they tend to be pro-business, entrepreneurial and pro-economic development. Religion seems to drive it also. We know why older white men tend to vote republican.
well "people" are stupid, so that's no big surprise. humans are essentially upright ambulatory retard machines, so the fact that a pleasant but unactioned white lie (the ostensible policy platform of the democratic party) eventually gives way to people choosing a completely stupid delusional fantasy (the core ideology of conservatism) is not only predictable but completely inevitable.

Why is it taboo to discuss what might be driving white women this direction?
it's not - i AM discussing it. i gave you the answer.
a huge amount of women have a worldview that idolizing trump as the perfect manifestation of what humanity has to offer, and so of course they vote for him.
it's not any more complicated than trump embodying the values that these voters care most about.

What matters is women in swing states. Trump lost educated women suburban voters in 2020 and that sunk him in a few swing states. Some states like Alabama. Oklahoma, Idaho, Montana et al are red states so a gain of voters there matters little. Trump lost Wisconsin, Pennsylvania. and Michigan. What helped Trump in 2020 was the BLM riots and Defund The Police. 2024 will be a problem due to idiotic Covid-19 garbage from Gregg Abbot, Ron DeSantis and others. By then the 1/6 commission should be a problem for the GOP also. Primaries will start in 2022 around March. So we have 8 months to see what the swing state polling tells us.

Independents are another key to watch. In 2016, they went to Trump by 3%. But abandoned Trump in 2020 by as much as 9% Independents in swing states are another thing we need to watch as election season gets rolling.

In another thread, I wanted to see if the % of white women voting for Trump increased or decreased in 2020. I was stunned to see that it increased to 55% in 2020 vs 47% in 2016. That's just such a shocking number that I thought it deserved it's own thread:

https://truthout.org/articles/yes-55-percent-of-white-women-voted-for-trump-no-im-not-surprised/

I really think that the left needs to find the why behind this trend or the Trumpsters are going to win again in 2024, and that might be our last free election. What's going on here? I'm wondering if the left has gone to far regarding feminism? Maybe it's a safety issue? I'm sure that religion plays a large part. I've tried to find some articles on this, but couldn't find any with compelling reasons.

Your link says 55% vs. 53%. I do not see the 47% figure.

I strongly doubt that more white women voted for Trump in 2020.

We do know that at least three dead white women voted for Trump.

2020 was a hotly contested election and turnout was greater than in 2016. It wouldn't be a surprise to find the raw numbers show more white women voted than before, and Trump won more votes from white women.

I agree that that's odd. But then again, there were only two viable choices in the general election for President, and they decided to pick the lesser of the two major evils.

One might expect such women to *love* Mitt Romney or some similar candidate, and Mitt Romney fits conservatives' image of themselves *much* better than Donald Trump.

What matters is women in swing states. Trump lost educated women suburban voters in 2020 and that sunk him in a few swing states. Some states like Alabama. Oklahoma, Idaho, Montana et al are red states so a gain of voters there matters little. Trump lost Wisconsin, Pennsylvania. and Michigan. What helped Trump in 2020 was the BLM riots and Defund The Police. 2024 will be a problem due to idiotic Covid-19 garbage from Gregg Abbot, Ron DeSantis and others. By then the 1/6 commission should be a problem for the GOP also. Primaries will start in 2022 around March. So we have 8 months to see what the swing state polling tells us.

Independents are another key to watch. In 2016, they went to Trump by 3%. But abandoned Trump in 2020 by as much as 9% Independents in swing states are another thing we need to watch as election season gets rolling.

The two white women in my family who voted for orange in 2020 are scientifically illiterate and would never vote for a black candidate in any political contest if there is a white alternative.

They are also both divorced, had children out of wedlock, live with white males who love orange, and are devoutly religious.

Also minority males.

To ensure consistency in the numbers, I went to Pew Research and copied their table. (Some of the 2016 data was inexplicably missing in the graphic there, so I pulled them from their 2016 page.) The columns show votes for Hillary, Trump16, Biden, Trump20, and the advantage Biden had over Hillary. The row pairs are for Whites, Blacks, Hispanics. In each case the votes of Men and Women are compared. (I've also added White votes, college grad vs not.)

.. . . . 2016 . . 2020 . .
.. . . . D-R .... D-R
Wh. Men 32-62 .. 40-57 B+13
Wh. Wom 45-47 .. 46-53 B-05
Bl. Men 81-14 .. 87-12 B+08
Bl. Wom 98-00 .. 95-05 B-08
Hi. Men 65-28 .. 57-40 B-20
Hi. Wom 67-28 .. 61-37 B-15

Wh. Col 55-38 .. 47-42 B-12
Wh. NoC 28-64 .. 33-65 B+04

To be clear, "B+13" in the first row does not mean Biden won the White Male vote. (If only White Males could vote the Liars would win every election in a landslide.) It means Biden improved over Hillary by 13 percentage points.

I'll guess that Hillary did better than Biden with women voters and worse with men for the obvious reason: Some women liked to vote for a woman; some men don't.

:confused: OP doesn't ask why people love burgers. He wants to know why the correlation between gender and burger-loving changed so dramatically.

Your link says 55% vs. 53%. I do not see the 47% figure.

Trump won 47% of the white women vote in 2016 (HRC won 45%, 9% threw away their vote).

https://time.com/5422644/trump-white-women-2016/

Also minority males.

Yes. The minority male vote also increased for Trump:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54972389

:confused: OP doesn't ask why people love burgers. He wants to know why the correlation between gender and burger-loving changed so dramatically.
i don't know that it really changed though.
first time around, trump was new and was only the promise of being everything they ever wanted.
second time around, trump was established as being everything they ever wanted.
it makes perfect sense that 2016 would have been a more tentative vote, and 2020 more solid once his reputation was established.

Back
Top Bottom