• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why are house numbers on American shows so large?

Tigers!

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Bible believing revelational redemptionist (Baptist)
One disadvantage of the Covid lockdowns in Australia is that I have been watching (far too much) Netflix, Amazon et. al.
Whilst watching US shows it struck me that the house numbers shown were very large, in the thousands. As an example in 'Young Sheldon' his house is 5501 and his grandmother's is 5506 (showing perfectly that I am indeed watching too much).
Other shows have very large house/building numbers. Is their a reason for that? Long streets?

For the record Australia/UK shows often don't show house numbers and if they do they are much lower.

Australian streets reset the numbering when they cross a suburbs or council boundary.
Americans just keep counting until we hit a state line, the national divide, or cursed burial grounds.
Sometimes this even continues thru changes in the name of the road.
Which is a bitch if you're driving in Atlanta, and get on something like Peachtree Industrial, and no one told you it turns into Beaver-Norcross Chaos, or Beuford Dun Manifest on either side of an intersection.

Settler colonialism. They had a lot of land to parcel and sell in a hurry, and the brand new postal system needed a consistent way to locate domiciles on our long, resolutely orthogonal roads even if the postman didn't personally know the addressees.

Street address numbers are set in one of two ways. The less common is lot number. When a parcel of land is subdivided, roads for right of way have to be provided for every lot. Each has a lot number on a particular road. If all goes well, the subdivider builds the roads to current government standards. Construction and maintenance are paid with proceeds of selling lots. At some point, the roads and related infrastructure will be ceded to the local government, which then pays for maintenance with proceeds from property tax. The lot number address may be used for several years, or longer.

When the government takes over the roads, a point is chosen on each road and the address is assigned according the distance in feet from this point. To keep an address from exceeding 5 digits, there may be a dividing point where a road's name changes from East Long Road, to West Long Road, and the count starts over.

Each “block” (area between cross streets) corresponds to a set of 100 numbers. And they increment every block. So if you live on a block where your number is 512 for example then the next block will have addresses in the 600s. So after ten blocks away from a designated “central” point the addresses will be over 1000. Also, even numbers are on one side of the street and odd numbers are on the other. This type of approach can make it easier to find a specific address even when you’re unfamiliar with a city.

Each “block” (area between cross streets) corresponds to a set of 100 numbers. And they increment every block. So if you live on a block where your number is 512 for example then the next block will have addresses in the 600s. So after ten blocks away from a designated “central” point the addresses will be over 1000. Also, even numbers are on one side of the street and odd numbers are on the other. This type of approach can make it easier to find a specific address even when you’re unfamiliar with a city.
That depends entirely on the municipality. For instance, my block and the next one are all within the same hundred. But our town does follow the street address numbering convention of odds on south/west and evens on north/east. Our town is divided into an east and a west based upon how the town was set up and functioned when it was founded over 150 years ago, with Center street, not Main Street being the dividing line. Our town sits on a river, and are numbered: Front Street, right along the river, 2nd street, 3rd street and so on, as streets are further from the river, with streets also taking on names in addition to their numbers about half a mile from the river. Our street is both numbered and named but 2nd and 3rd street are not. The streets that cross the numbered streets are all named, not numbered. More recent housing developments do not follow this convention and are not laid out on a grid as the main/older part of town is. At least one subdivision seems to have named streets after family members of the developer.

I grew up in a different state and in the small town where I grew up, actually, the subdivision where I grew up, none of the streets were straight but rather curved or circled, which was supposed to make cars go slower and be more family friendly. There was the even/odd convention for house numbers but street names seemed...arbitrary. Previous to that home, we had lived in a small house in the next town south of us and that street was numbered as were all the streets in that very, very modest neighborhood. I really don't know about the rest of the town---we moved when I was 7 and I haven't lived in that area in....many decades.

In some places, avenues go east/west and streets go north/south or the other way around. Washington DC is laid out in quandrants, for instance, with a NorthEast, North West, South East, South West as part of the addresses. Streets in DC may be known by numbers or by letters and some streets also are named. I've been in towns/cities where street names were alphabetical, and I've been in some states where county roads are not numbered but lettered, with double letters where necessary: for instance, County Road DD.

Many municipalities were founded before the state became a state and follow whatever conventions the founders felt best suited the town. There is no national convention and I'm not even certain that there is a convention at the individual state or even county level everywhere.

… and then there’s Utah.
🙄

Australian streets reset the numbering when they cross a suburbs or council boundary.
Americans just keep counting until we hit a state line, the national divide, or cursed burial grounds.
Sometimes this even continues thru changes in the name of the road.
Which is a bitch if you're driving in Atlanta, and get on something like Peachtree Industrial, and no one told you it turns into Beaver-Norcross Chaos, or Beuford Dun Manifest on either side of an intersection.
You are correct about Australia resetting the numbers. That means we do not have many large numbers even in the bush.
There is a busy road in the west of Melbourne that starts as Melbourne Rd, then Williamstown Road, then Melbourne Rd again in about 5kms. And the locals insert another Williamstown Rd section in just to confuse the issue. To make it worst the official Williamstown Road section used to have a T-intersection which ran to the Yarra River to a motorised punt (long gone but I can remember travelling on it as a child) to another suburb but with the name Williamstown Rd.. So we had 2 Williamstown Rds meeting at the same point for a few decades. Only the suburb name allows you to determine which was which. With development in the past 40 years the Williamstown Rd in the other suburb had a section changed to another name.

So the reason for your large numbers are historical, cultural, practical.

Thank you all.

So, all joking aside, house numbers are (st.#...),(seq##) in the US everywhere I have lived.

So if I live on 23rd st, my house number is 23xx.

Subdivisions get a little shitty about that and may do 23xxx if there are a lot of houses.

Note that most US cities were built mostly if not entirely in the era where vehicles (even horse drawn) used the roads. Thus they are generally laid out straight subject to the limits of the terrain. Since they are straight they are also parallel. There is an advantage to having the numbers on parallel streets line up. When I see an address on a main street I know fairly close where it is without having to look it up.

However, with an old city with a bunch of twisty paths there's no such advantage since the roads won't line up anyway. Hence most US cities are laid out 100 numbers to the block regardless of the number of numbered entities in that range. On our street the houses go by tens, the ones on the south side are +1 from the ones on the north side. I actually dislike it because it causes more address confusions, but they wanted to spread them evenly over the block. Most places I haven't seen xx9x addresses. I believe the developers have a free choice in how to cut up a block. The main streets have names already, within a quarter-mile chunk I believe whoever starts a street gets to name it within limits (the city will disallow any name they consider too confusing. They don't want a repeat of what we encountered when I was young: IIRC El Camito and El Camino. 2 blocks apart and to get to the other one you had to turn onto our street. I rather shocked the cop I found at the door when I told him "you want the house two blocks that <pointing> way" before he even said why he was there. It was Friday evening, that meant likely DV issues, common enough that we were used to redirecting them.)

On the other hand, if you're talking about why the are big in a physical sense rather than a numeric sense--it's been code for quite a while now. There's a minimum size for house numbers to make it easier for emergency services to find the right place.

You are correct about Australia resetting the numbers. That means we do not have many large numbers even in the bush.
There are plenty of places in rural Australia where their address is their lot number, which easily goes into four digits. Suburbs in Sydney like Kellyville, Glenhaven, Galston and Dural will still using lot numbers well into the late 90's. A friend's house growing up was at lot 4409 Old Northern Rd. It later became number 43 Old Northern Road but it still happens today.

I was watching The Player last night and a house number in Los Angeles was shown as 23160 (or thereabouts). That's the highest I can ever recall seeing.

I was watching The Player last night and a house number in Los Angeles was shown as 23160 (or thereabouts). That's the highest I can ever recall seeing.
Watch Survivors. Robin Williams, Walter Matthau.
At some point near the end, a character takes off. 'Where are you going?'
I cannot recall the exact number, but his answer is something like '25461 Queens Boulevard.' Meaning he's leaving this drama gor home...

Back
Top Bottom