• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why do so many Jews win the Nobel Prize (22%)

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Dawkins is "perplexed" http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/10/2...by-high-number-of-jewish-nobel-prize-winners/

I think the answer is simple. It's culture. Jews put a very high value on education. Rednecks make the best NASCAR racers because NASCAR is big in redneck culture. Blacks are the best basketball players because every ghetto has a basketball court. Of course there are exceptions, like Tiger Woods, and I'm sure there are a number of Jews who flunked out of highschool.

As far as genetics -- I'm not convinced, but I don't rule it out.

Dawkins is "perplexed" http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/10/2...by-high-number-of-jewish-nobel-prize-winners/

I think the answer is simple. It's culture. Jews put a very high value on education. Rednecks make the best NASCAR racers because NASCAR is big in redneck culture. Blacks are the best basketball players because every ghetto has a basketball court. Of course there are exceptions, like Tiger Woods, and I'm sure there are a number of Jews who flunked out of highschool.

I agree.

I have some Jewish relatives (by marriage), and one of my uncles happened to be visiting one time when my school report card came in. My Parents were all "Well done, all As and Bs!", and Uncle Knocky simply said "Why wasn't it all As?".

In his world, academic excellence was barely good enough. Anything less than the top possible grade was a failure to be corrected, rather than an improvement to be celebrated. Had he brought me up, I doubt I would have been as happy, but I sure has hell would have been less academically lazy. I am a smart guy; I am sure I could have made an impact on academia if I had applied myself a bit more - albeit not to the Nobel Prize level. But I didn't want to, and I wasn't made to. My Jewish cousins were made to, and as a result are far more qualified than I - whether they have a better life, or are happier, is another question.

This attitude of expecting academic success in the Jewish community is so ingrained as to be a stereotype; As with the old joke about two Jewish ladies chatting at the Deli. One says "Do you have any children?", "Oh yes," says her new acquaintance," I have two. "The doctor is five, and the lawyer is three".

I doubt that there is a strong genetic component. The parental expectations are likely enough to explain the difference.

It is a pervasively academic culture. One of my earliest memories is my mother telling me I'd make a good surgeon.

I agree.

I have some Jewish relatives (by marriage), and one of my uncles happened to be visiting one time when my school report card came in. My Parents were all "Well done, all As and Bs!", and Uncle Knocky simply said "Why wasn't it all As?".

In his world, academic excellence was barely good enough. Anything less than the top possible grade was a failure to be corrected, rather than an improvement to be celebrated. Had he brought me up, I doubt I would have been as happy, but I sure has hell would have been less academically lazy. I am a smart guy; I am sure I could have made an impact on academia if I had applied myself a bit more - albeit not to the Nobel Prize level. But I didn't want to, and I wasn't made to. My Jewish cousins were made to, and as a result are far more qualified than I - whether they have a better life, or are happier, is another question.

This attitude of expecting academic success in the Jewish community is so ingrained as to be a stereotype; As with the old joke about two Jewish ladies chatting at the Deli. One says "Do you have any children?", "Oh yes," says her new acquaintance," I have two. "The doctor is five, and the lawyer is three".

I doubt that there is a strong genetic component. The parental expectations are likely enough to explain the difference.

A friend of mine was raised the same way. Not Jewish, but with parents like these - not an uncle - he lives a perpetually insecure life. Despite his successes and excellence and achievements, he is constantly second-guessing himself, always feeling second best, always ashamed if he is not No.1, always competitive about EVERYthing and it's sad.

I feel for him because there is ALWAYS someone better. So he will never feel satisfied with what he has accomplished.

I have Scottish/German/English heritage.
Mormon upbringing.
Navy enlisted. No college.

Four times, at three commands, people have assumed or concluded that i was Jewish, usually informing me of this fact by apologizing for someone else's ethnic joke, or a comment they feared i might take offense at.

When asked about what in the hell there is about me that makes them think i must be Jewish it's always been something along the lines of 'Well, you just seem to know a lot of shit, man.'

I think it has a lot to do with Jewish mothers. If you have an annoying old lady nagging you for long enough, you'll give her kid a Nobel Prize just to shut her up.

I am sorry goys :), but culture affects genes too. So jews are genetically smarter.

We could say its partly about survival. The Jews were persecuted nonstop and the only way to survive was to excel in every field they chose. You will find outside Palestine a lot of smart businessmen who represent Middle Eastern companies

Last edited:
I am sorry goys :), but culture affects genes too. So jews are genetically smarter.

We could say its partly about survival. The Jews were persecuted nonstop and the only way to survive was to excel in every field they chose. You will find outside Palestine a lot of smart businessmen who represent Middle Eastern companies
Yes, Europeans conducted evolutionary pressure experiment on jews, 22% is a result.

Aren't most Jews not Semitic but Eastern European these days? And mostly atheist/agnostic/secular?

So 22% of Nobel Prize winners are Eastern European atheists.

Aren't most Jews not Semitic but Eastern European these days? And mostly atheist/agnostic/secular?

So 22% of Nobel Prize winners are Eastern European atheists.

Nah. Even though there was significant intermarriage, there is a strong Middle Eastern component to the modern Jewish (Ashkenazim) gene pool.

From wiki:

Before 2006, geneticists had largely attributed the ethnogenesis of most of the world's Jewish populations, including Ashkenazi Jews, to Israelite Jewish male migrants from the Middle East and "the women from each local population whom they took as wives and converted to Judaism." Thus, in 2002, in line with this model of origin, David Goldstein, now of Duke University, reported that unlike male Ashkenazi lineages, the female lineages in Ashkenazi Jewish communities "did not seem to be Middle Eastern", and that each community had its own genetic pattern and even that "in some cases the mitochondrial DNA was closely related to that of the host community." In his view this suggested "that Jewish men had arrived from the Middle East, taken wives from the host population and converted them to Judaism, after which there was no further intermarriage with non-Jews."[113]

In 2006, a study by Behar et al.,[114] based on what was at that time high-resolution analysis of haplogroup K (mtDNA), suggested that about 40% of the current Ashkenazi population is descended matrilineally from just four women, or "founder lineages", that were "likely from a Hebrew/Levantine mtDNA pool" originating in the Middle East in the 1st and 2nd centuries CE. Additionally, Behar et al. suggested that the rest of Ashkenazi mtDNA is originated from ~150 women, and that most of those were also likely of Middle Eastern origin.[114] In reference specifically to Haplogroup K, they suggested that although it is common throughout western Eurasia, "the observed global pattern of distribution renders very unlikely the possibility that the four aforementioned founder lineages entered the Ashkenazi mtDNA pool via gene flow from a European host population".

And actually, if you read the rest of the wiki article, it seems to be the case that the maternal lines are largley European, but that male lines are mostly from the Middle East. So what essentially happened to establish the European Jewish line was that males from the middle east came to Europe and intermarried with the population, converting their wives, and after that staying within the newly formed Ashkenazi ethnic group.

There are only so many likely places Nobel Prize winners in science will come from.

Usually they are full time scientists working at a university conducting research of some kind.

And usually in a modern wealthy nation.

What percentage of these people have a Jewish ancestry?

Maybe,or maybe it's all result of proper education like others mentioned
What's the big deal with Nobel price anyway after all Al Gore got one also:)
I'm more impressed by originality thinkers inventors
Not many Jews there lately
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prolific_inventors

Right, you obviously fixated on the Peace Prize but if You look at the winners in

CHEMISTRY

1905 - Adolph Von Baeyer
1906 - Henri Moissan
1910 - Otto Wallach *
1915 - Richard Willstaetter
1918 - Fritz Haber
1943 - George Charles de Hevesy
1961 - Melvin Calvin
1962 - Max Ferdinand Perutz
1972 - William Howard Stein
Christian Anfinsen °
1977 - Ilya Prigogine
1979 - Herbert Charles Brown
1980 - Paul Berg
Walter Gilbert
1981 - Roald Hoffmann
1982 - Aaron Klug
1985 - Herbert Hauptman
Jerome Karle
1989 - Sidney Altman
1992 - Rudolph Marcus
1994 - George Olah
1996 - Harold Kroto *
1998 - Walter Kohn
2000 - Alan Heeger
2004 - Avram Hershko
Aaron Ciechanover
Irwin Rose
2006 - Roger Kornberg
2008 - Martin Chalfie
2009 - Ada Yonath
2011 - Daniel Schechtman
2012 - Robert Lefkowitz
2013 - Michael Levitt
Arieh Warshel
Martin Karplus

PHYSICS:

1907 - Albert Abraham Michelson
1908 - Gabriel Lippmann
1921 - Albert Einstein
1922 - Niels Bohr
1925 - James Franck
Gustav Hertz
1943 - Otto Stern
1944 - Isidor Issac Rabi
1945 - Wolfgang Pauli
1952 - Felix Bloch
1954 - Max Born
1958 - Igor Tamm
Il'ja Mikhailovich Frank
1959 - Emilio Segrè
1960 - Donald A. Glaser
1961 - Robert Hofstadter
1962 - Lev Davidovich Landau
1963 - Eugene Wigner
1965 - Richard Feynman
Julian Schwinger
1967 - Hans Bethe
1969 - Murray Gell-Mann
1971 - Dennis Gabor
1972 - Leon Cooper
1973 - Brian David Josephson
1975 - Benjamin Mottleson
1976 - Burton Richter
1978 - Arno Penzias
Pyotr Kapitsa
1979 - Stephen Weinberg
Sheldon Glashow
1981 - Arthur Schawlow *
1987 - K. Alexander Muller
1988 - Leon Lederman
Melvin Schwartz
Jack Steinberger
1990 - Jerome Friedman
1992- Georges Charpak
1995 - Martin Perl
Fredrick Reines
1996 - Douglas D. Osheroff *
David M. Lee
1997 - Claude Cohen-Tannoudji
2000 - Zhores I. Alferov
2003 - Vitaly Ginzburg
Alexei A. Abrikosov
2004 - H. David Politzer
David Gross
2005 - Roy Glauber
2011 - Saul Perlmutter
Adam Riess
2012 - Serge Haroche
2013 - Francois Englert

MEDICINE:

1908 - Elie Mechnikov
Paul Ehrlich
1914 - Robert Barany
1922 - Otto Meyerhof
1930 - Karl Landsteiner
1931 - Otto Warburg *
1936 - Otto Loewi
1944 - Herbert Spencer Gasser
Joseph Erlanger
1945 - Ernst Boris Chain
1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller
1947 - Gerty Cori °
1950 - Tadeus Reichstein
1952 - Selman Abraham Waksman
1953 - Hans Krebs
Fritz Lipmann
1958 - Joshua Lederberg
1959 - Arthur Kornberg
1964 - Konrad Bloch
1965 - Francois Jacob
Andre Lwoff
1967 - George Wald
1968 - Marshall Nirenberg
1969 - Salvador Luria
1970 - Julius Axelrod
Bernard Katz
1972 - Gerald Maurice Edelman
1975 - David Baltimore
Howard Temin
1976 - Baruch Blumberg
1977 - Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
Andrew V. Schally
1978 - Daniel Nathans
1980 - Baruj Benacerraf
1982 - John Vane *
1984 - Cesar Milstein
1985 - Michael Stuart Brown
Joseph Goldstein
1986 - Stanley Cohen
Rita Levi-Montalcini
1988 - Gertrude Elion
1989 - Harold Varmus
1992 - Edmond Fischer *
1994 - Alfred Gilman
Martin Rodbell
1997- Stanley B. Prusiner
1998 - Robert Furchgott
2000 - Paul Greengard
Eric Kandel
2002 - H. Robert Horvitz
Sydney Brenner
2004 - Richard Axel
2006 - Andrew Fire
2011 - Ralph Marvin Steinman
Bruce Beutler
2013 - James E. Rothman
Randy W. Schekman

And while you say note lately, 50% of the Nobel Laureates in 2013 were Jewish.

Invented or discovered by Jews:

• Lasers
  • E=MC2
  • Cholera, Bubonic Plague, & Polio Vaccines
  • Google
  • Blue Jeans
  • USB Flash Drives
  • 8088 Processor
  • TV Remote Control
  • Ball Point Pen
  • LASIK eye surgery
  • Copaxone
  • Birth Control Pills
  • Holographs
  • Videotape
  • The Shopping Cart
  • LP records
  • Lipstick
  • Poloroid
  • NMR

and many many more.....

There are only so many likely places Nobel Prize winners in science will come from.

Usually they are full time scientists working at a university conducting research of some kind.

And usually in a modern wealthy nation.

What percentage of these people have a Jewish ancestry?

0.2% of the World Population wins 22% of Nobel Prizes
2% of the US population wins 37% of the US Nobel Prizes.

Way out of proportion even accounting for the US level of advanced education.

Back
Top Bottom