• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why religious pilgrimages are incredibly dangerous

fta

Basic Beliefs
Unbeliever
The Shortest Route to God

The World Health Organization is worried about this year's Hajj. Beginning in early October, more than 2 million people will voluntarily gather in the home country of a novel and untreatable virus called MERS that has already infected nearly 700 people and killed more than 200. Respiratory illnesses are only the beginning of the many dangers faced at religious pilgrimages, though. Pilgrims should worry about fires, stampedes, diarrhea, and guns. In fact, if you're in a hurry to meet your maker, a religious pilgrimage may be the most direct route.

I think my favorite comment on the article is "I see nothing but upside here. The pilgrims get to go to heaven, and us heathens have a few less delusional people to deal with."

If MERS spread from Mecca to the crowded cities of Pakistan, Egypt et al, it should take mere days to blame the West and the CIA.

The more bureaucratic and lack of management disasters at Haj the better.

25-30 years ago, the disasters went on, uncommented on. Nowadays with the internet everywhere Muslim people are seeing how other large scale gatherings in other countries are handled readily and safely by their governments, and are now starting to complain to the authorities when disasters happen at Haj, instead of just fatalistically accepting the deaths.

What kind of rocks are on sale to throw at the Satan monument? You want quality ones for that guy and not have to just pick up whatever you find on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom