• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why was Adam exempt from the transgression when the transgression was disobedience?

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic Christian & esoteric ecumenist
Why was Adam exempt from the transgression when the transgression was disobedience?

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

I think that Adam, not being deceived, was more culpable than Eve.

Why then did God favor the guiltiest, Adam, with, --- he shall rule over you?

Men rule over women? Why when men were not deceived but disobeyed?

What was the transgression, --- if not a wise decision to choose knowledge and wisdom and shun immortality of the flesh, --- even if that were possible, --- and why was Adan not punished as hard as Eve when he was clearly more guilty?

Regards
DL

You should try to read it less literally :D

Men had the power, and they constructed their god upon their pedestal. And not shockingly, they constructed this god with it putting them in charge.

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

What was the transgression, --- if not a wise decision to choose knowledge and wisdom and shun immortality of the flesh, --- even if that were possible, --- and why was Adan not punished as hard as Eve when he was clearly more guilty?

Regards
DL
Man wasn't punished? Man was punished greatly. They lived in The Garden, a place where stuff grew alot, so they tended to it, but were rewarded with lots of produce. The punishment for man was that the ground would be hard as fuck to till and grow food. That he'd have to bust his hump and production would still be sparse.

The punishment for man was that the ground would be hard as fuck to till and grow food.
Not to mention that he knew what 'naked woman' meant at the same time Woman learned to be ashamed of her nakedidity...

Well, the logical conclusion to Adam being punished because he ruled over Eve was that God himself was responsible for the transgression. As soon as he realized that, he decided that Eve was entirely to blame and everyone needs to stop fucking asking questions about it.

he decided that Eve was entirely to blame and everyone needs to stop fucking asking questions about it.
Good point. That's probably why women can't talk in church. They might question why it doesn't hurt as much to get a girl pregnant as it does to have the baby.

Well, the logical conclusion to Adam being punished because he ruled over Eve was that God himself was responsible for the transgression. As soon as he realized that, he decided that Eve was entirely to blame and everyone needs to stop fucking asking questions about it.
Actually, the narrative notes the man blames the woman who then blames Karl Rove, I mean the serpent. The serpent is left with no one to blame.

God punishes all three rather notably.

Regards
DL

More importantly, was Luke Skywalker's lightsaber green, or was it blue?

Oh, you don't care because you don't believe Luke Skywalker was real? Really?

I'm sorry, but you can't really speculate on what Adam did or didn't do, what god did or didn't intend with Adam, unless you can first demonstrate that God and Adam were in fact real people. Otherwise, anything you say about what they did, what characteristics they had, or what their intent was is going to come across to others as a conversation no different from two Star Wars nerds arguing about the color of Luke's lightsaber, or Star Trek fans arguing about who was the best captain (which is clearly Sisko, by the way).

Otherwise, anything you say about what they did, what properties they had, or what their intent was is going to come across to others as a conversation no different from two Star Wars nerds arguing about the color of Luke's lightsaber, or Star Trek fans arguing about who was the best captain (which is clearly Sisko, by the way).
So...he CAN speculate, as long as he's willing to be marginalized in any room that's not full of same-flavor nerds...

Otherwise, anything you say about what they did, what properties they had, or what their intent was is going to come across to others as a conversation no different from two Star Wars nerds arguing about the color of Luke's lightsaber, or Star Trek fans arguing about who was the best captain (which is clearly Sisko, by the way).
So...he CAN speculate, as long as he's willing to be marginalized in any room that's not full of same-flavor nerds...

Well, in this case, I don't think he understands the consequences of the fact that none of us agree with certain basic assumptions he is making, nor has he considered how his words are likely to come across. Most theists have not taken Loftus' Outsider Test for Faith, and so have never considered what their religion looks like to those who do not share the same beliefs.

Regards
DL

Actually, the "Men rule over women," thing is man's punishment. With that power came the responsibility came all the troubles in a man's life. If the children are hungry, it's his problem. If it's raining and everyone is cold, it's his problem. If everyone is hungry, wet and cold, and there's a bear outside, well, you get the idea.

You should try to read it less literally :D

Men had the power, and they constructed their god upon their pedestal. And not shockingly, they constructed this god with it putting them in charge.

I use the literal because G D literalists are who I target as they are the cause of most of the harm that religions cause.

And I agree that the hands of misogynist scribes or authors are all over the bible.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Man wasn't punished? Man was punished greatly. They lived in The Garden, a place where stuff grew alot, so they tended to it, but were rewarded with lots of produce. The punishment for man was that the ground would be hard as fuck to till and grow food. That he'd have to bust his hump and production would still be sparse.

Sure but in that day, many women died in child birth as well as they had to work the fields just as hard as the men.

Only wimps will complain or think we had it harder than women. Especially when women had to kowtow to their men thanks to religion.

Regards
DL

Yes and ignore that God is a prick.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

More importantly, was Luke Skywalker's lightsaber green, or was it blue?

Oh, you don't care because you don't believe Luke Skywalker was real? Really?

I'm sorry, but you can't really speculate on what Adam did or didn't do, what god did or didn't intend with Adam, unless you can first demonstrate that God and Adam were in fact real people. Otherwise, anything you say about what they did, what characteristics they had, or what their intent was is going to come across to others as a conversation no different from two Star Wars nerds arguing about the color of Luke's lightsaber, or Star Trek fans arguing about who was the best captain (which is clearly Sisko, by the way).

Except that this myth and Christian interpretation is why, likely even your wife, earns only 70% of what a man will get for the same work.

That is why I try to discredit it whenever I can.

This myth has been used forever to discriminate against women.

Regards
DL

Well, in this case, I don't think he understands the consequences of the fact that none of us agree with certain basic assumptions he is making, nor has he considered how his words are likely to come across. Most theists have not taken Loftus' Outsider Test for Faith, and so have never considered what their religion looks like to those who do not share the same beliefs.

I have considered this and I know the crew here and have gotten some good ideas from here that I use elsewhere.

If you just hang about here and do not go to where theists hang out, to try to correct their poor thinking, then you do not have a good social moral sense.

If you do not like my judgement then you should see what I give to theists.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Actually, the "Men rule over women," thing is man's punishment. With that power came the responsibility came all the troubles in a man's life. If the children are hungry, it's his problem. If it's raining and everyone is cold, it's his problem. If everyone is hungry, wet and cold, and there's a bear outside, well, you get the idea.

Nah. All those are not problems to a man. He just orders his woman to take care of it and make bear stew.

Regards
DL

Sure but in that day, many women died in child birth as well as they had to work the fields just as hard as the men.

Only wimps will complain or think we had it harder than women. Especially when women had to kowtow to their men thanks to religion.

Regards
DL

This. You still see this today. No matter what tragedies befall men, the women in the same situation have it worse.

e.g. child soldiers. Boys AND girls are kidnapped and forced to become soldiers upon pain of death or mutilation. Boys and girls are beaten, put through their paces and trained and at night...the girls are still working...

Back
Top Bottom