• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Taylor Swift Pisses Off The Christians

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Taylor Swift's new album, The Torture Artist Department has some criticisms of Evangelical patriarchs
and has some Christian leaders quite upset.

Taylor Swift's new album, The Tortured Poets Department, has garnered criticism from faith leaders who have taken to social media this week to express their distaste with the lyrical content that they believe mocks God and Christians.

Released last Friday, critics have voiced concern over lyrics that seem to suggest that Christians are both hateful and judgemental.

In the song "But Daddy I Love Him," Swift sings:
"But daddy I love him / I just learned these people only raise you / To cage you / Sarahs and Hannahs in their Sunday best / Clutchin' their pearls, sighing, 'What a mess' / I just learned these people try and save you 'Cause they hate you."

Taylor takes a few more swings at evangelicals on her album. More popcorn!

"Seem to suggest" dislike for them? How do they treat her? Her response to the vitirol they have routinely poured out on her for more than a decade is pretty damn low-key, all things considered. Reminds me of Madonna back in the day. You can't make someone a collective dartboard for the worst of humanity, then cry when you realize they don't like you anymore...

"Seem to suggest" dislike for them? How do they treat her? Her response to the vitirol they have routinely poured out on her for more than a decade is pretty damn low-key, all things considered. Reminds me of Madonna back in the day. You can't make someone a collective dartboard for the worst of humanity, then cry when you realize they don't like you anymore...
This is fundamentally what gets me every time: the people who are the shittiest fraction are exactly the same people who, when presented the paradox of tolerance, fail to find Reciprocity and Compassion as an answer, instead throwing up their hands on the idea of tolerance altogether... Except tolerance for their behavior.

Taylor Swift's new album, The Torture Artist Department has some criticisms of Evangelical patriarchs
and has some Christian leaders quite upset.

Taylor Swift's new album, The Tortured Poets Department, has garnered criticism from faith leaders who have taken to social media this week to express their distaste with the lyrical content that they believe mocks God and Christians.

Released last Friday, critics have voiced concern over lyrics that seem to suggest that Christians are both hateful and judgemental.

In the song "But Daddy I Love Him," Swift sings:
"But daddy I love him / I just learned these people only raise you / To cage you / Sarahs and Hannahs in their Sunday best / Clutchin' their pearls, sighing, 'What a mess' / I just learned these people try and save you 'Cause they hate you."

Taylor takes a few more swings at evangelicals on her album. More popcorn!

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1
Looks like brilliant marketing to me.

How better to get your name mentioned than to piss off the Christian right? How better to get an army of volunteers promoting your new album?
Dayum!
Tom

Don't care for Swift, but I love when Christians get offended.

Taylor Swift, an intellectual light of the world? Profound insight?

You do not have to be profound to get a large following of morons.

Christians or otherwise blind followers are blind worshiping followers. Pop culture is replacing religion for better or for worse.

As to the OP, Christians opposing music goes back to the 50s. Burning vinyl records. Black rhythms adopted by white music, aka rock and roll, was called 'jungle music' as a derogatory.

'Elvis The Pelvis' was shocking on stage in the day to some.

I should remember her name, a woman who wanted warning labels on album covers in the 70s or 80s. She was national news for a while.

Don't care for Swift, but I love when Christians get offended.
I don't care for the tiny scraps of her product I've experienced.

But the more I hear about her and who she has offended this time, the more I like her.

Not enough to buy anything, but still...
Tom

Back
Top Bottom