• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Biblical Flood Caused An Ice Age

Long ago, physicists pointed out water vapor condensing to rain water releases heat energy.
The amount of rain of Noah's flood would have released so much heat energy, the seas would have boiled. No ice age, obviously.
There are ancient ruins at the bottom of seas, and there is a great volume of water above them. There earth is 71% covered in water, therefore the whole earth being flooded at one point is easier to propose the plausibility.
Would this require the water to rise and then recede, or the land to sink and then rise again?

If a person is sufficienly ignorant, then they can be persuaded that literally anything is plausible. The defence against this is for them to learn stuff.
I have read his posting history and I am convinced that the ignorance is deliberate. Learning stuff can be detrimental to religious faith, and the thought of losing one's faith can be terrifying, so ignorance is used as a shield. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone who has been on these forums for so long to keep on preaching such nonsense. With this poster, ignorance is a feature, not a bug.

When I left Christianity behind, I was told by one of my young Christian friends not to think so much about it. That is the secret to maintaining a literal belief in the Bible. Don't think too much about it, or just make up a bunch of shit that sounds good to you.

Here's the thing that always got to me about the great flood fairly tale. It wasn't the flood as much as it was the idea that every animal on earth could fit and be fed inside one big boat. Where did all that food come from and who cleaned up all that animal shit? How did Noah get the polar bears to the ark and other animals that lived on opposite ends of the earth? Or did the sky fairy magically fly them down and magically clean up the shit? God is mysterious, as their saying goes.

Fairy tales are made for children.

If a person is sufficienly ignorant, then they can be persuaded that literally anything is plausible. The defence against this is for them to learn stuff.
I have read his posting history and I am convinced that the ignorance is deliberate.
Reading past history, yes I see, since you like to bring this notion of yours up, I will say then, I'm pretty sure we have had a few debates for a few years, going back-and-forth in the past..
... when you had a different handle/name?
Learning stuff can be detrimental to religious faith, and the thought of losing one's faith can be terrifying, so ignorance is used as a shield. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone who has been on these forums for so long to keep on preaching such nonsense. With this poster, ignorance is a feature, not a bug.
I have never claimed to be a Christian guru especially when there are those out there who are many levels above me. I do though, sometimes feel I should correct some of the atheists distorted versions of the theology.

Anyway..learning stuff is not detrimental to faith. This is a false (preferably suited) delusion.
Logically, your learned intellect should have reminded you of the scientists out there who are also faith believers - therefore it would only be "nonsense" to people who think as you do.

Last edited:
When I left Christianity behind, I was told by one of my young Christian friends not to think so much about it. That is the secret to maintaining a literal belief in the Bible. Don't think too much about it, or just make up a bunch of shit that sounds good to you.
I'm not a Christian "guru" as I mention in the post above, but your young Christian friend. Was she a spiritual adviser or something similar to you?
Here's the thing that always got to me about the great flood fairly tale. It wasn't the flood as much as it was the idea that every animal on earth could fit and be fed inside one big boat. Where did all that food come from and who cleaned up all that animal shit?
I shouldn't think it would be such a problem for an Almighty God - to put a designed system in place - no more a problem than to have a waste system in a submarine, having a crew of up to a hundred and sixty on board.

Besides, a variety
of things could be put into that equation for example: many animals could be in a hibernation state period - animals in their infant stages still being small, the 'great number' of creatures would include a great amount being sea creatures not needing to be on the ark. Added are the great number of small insects, small mammals, small reptiles etc & etc. (or all the above combined)
How did Noah get the polar bears to the ark and other animals that lived on opposite ends of the earth? Or did the sky fairy magically fly them down and magically clean up the shit? God is mysterious, as their saying goes.
God is credited in getting the animals to the ark, yes of course. The animals followed on some heightened instinct like knowing the weather is about to change... or perhaps it's like 'sensing' danger is about to approach, having a particular place to go like
homing pigeons.

Fairy tales are made for children.
Biblical scholars and historians I suspect will also agree with you.

Last edited:
God is credited in getting the animals to the ark, yes of course. The animals followed on some heightened instinct like knowing the weather is about to change... or perhaps it's like 'sensing' danger is about to approach.
Must have been a hell of an instinct that got the kangaroos and platypuses to head all the way to the Middle East, and then to head back to Australia once the waters receeded.

Here's the thing that always got to me about the great flood fairly tale. It wasn't the flood as much as it was the idea that every animal on earth could fit and be fed inside one big boat.

The text doesnt say Noah took "every animal on Earth" onto the Ark.

Where did all that food come from and who cleaned up all that animal shit?

Hibernating animals - animals in a cold, dark confined space - dont eat much.

Small animals dont eat much. The animals could have been juvenile.

How did Noah get the polar bears to the ark and other animals that lived on opposite ends of the earth?

The text doesnt say Noah took two of every species... two of every breed... two of every color. etc etc.

Do you think he took every type of bear on the Ark?
Why? Does the text say two brown bears, two polar bears, two pandas, two grizzly bears, two koala bears...?

Or did the sky fairy magically fly them down and magically clean up the shit?

It's like you're completely unaware that the text clearly shows God's involvement in the Noachian Flood.

God is mysterious, as their saying goes.

...all powerful.

I am frankly amazed that some of you have made up such insanely absurd explanations for how the animals were rounded up and cared for in the so called great flood. I was told as a child that every animal species was included. Does your version of the Bible say only some animals were included? Fairy tales are made for children and the story of the Biblical flood that wiped out all humans other than one special family is nothing but a fairy tale. I didn't realize that our Christian posters actually took that stuff literally. Wow!

Like my young church friend said to me. Don't think too much about it, if you want to maintain your beliefs regarding the Bible.

Whatever floats your boat guys. ;)

Last edited:
The text doesnt say Noah took two of every species... two of every breed... two of every color. etc etc.

Why? Does the text say two brown bears, two polar bears, two pandas, two grizzly bears, two koala bears...?
Genesis 6:19-21 (New International Version):
19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.”

Seems pretty inclusive to me.

Koalas aren't bears.

You and I are FAR more closely related to bears than koalas are.

Marsupials are a completely different kind of animal than placental mammals; And monotremes are a different kind again.

Koalas aren't bears.

You and I are FAR more closely related to bears than koalas are.

Marsupials are a completely different kind of animal than placental mammals; And monotremes are a different kind again.
Yabut shit was radioactive then, and new species and genera were popping up like mushrooms after a shower. 10,000 new ones per day, by some estimates. The True Miracle is that nobody ever noticed or remarked on it. Go figure.
Genesis tells us it rained 40 days. And the tallest mountains were covered. You do the math.
That's okay. The waters eventually went away... somewhere.
Down the drain, duh!

Not all translations compel exhaustive inclusion but in any case Noah was free to determine whether dingo, wolf, coyote, jackal, hyena, poodle, labrador, terrier, husky, were all the same kind of animal.

Another thing about this fairy tale that I don't understand is the idea that Noah was the only righteous man in the world, so only he was permitted to survive a flood that wiped out the entire world and all other humans. Afterwards, his daughters got him drunk and had sex with him, so they could carry on the family genes , aka seeds, but Noah claimed he didn't know his daughters had sex with him. Sure right. He had no idea that his daughters were giving him wine and he didn't know they had sex with him. Haven't we heard something like that in modern times? I didn't know what I was doing because I was drunk, your honor. Then again, I think he may have been about 500 years old so perhaps he had dementia. It's a miracle that a 500 year old man was sexually active, assuming anyone could believe that anyone has ever lived that long.

What kind of a merciful god wipes out the entire human race except for one family that afterwards has incestuous relationships so they can keep the seed of their father going?. But poor Lot's wife, who I'm pretty sure was Noah's son in law, got turned into a pillar of salt for simply taking a look back at the city she was forced to leave because it was so full of sin. How can anyone take these ancient myths literally. I don't even see a morality tale baked into that story. It's just a silly fairy tale about a mean, angry god who apparently isn't the least bit forgiving of the very creatures he has created. I mean. I can understand how people could make up a myth like that during ancient times to explain an unusual weather event. But, how can anyone believe that stuff literally in modern times is beyond me?

Again, you can't think too much and believe this stuff to be true. It's so obviously mythology.

Another thing about this fairy tale that I don't understand is the idea that Noah was the only righteous man in the world, so only he was permitted to survive a flood that wiped out the entire world and all other humans.

How many people do you think there were?
Hundreds? Thousands?

It's not inconceivable that wickedness was so pervasive that Noah might have been the most righteous on earth.

Afterwards, his daughters got him drunk and had sex with him, so they could carry on the family genes , aka seeds, but Noah claimed he didn't know his daughters had sex with him.

The reason Noah didnt think he had sex with his daughters is because he didnt have any daughters.

Sure right. He had no idea that his daughters were giving him wine and he didn't know they had sex with him.

Youre thinking of Lot.

Haven't we heard something like that in modern times? I didn't know what I was doing because I was drunk, your honor.

A person could be so intoxicated that they didnt know their sex partner was equally intoxicated and couldnt give informed consent.

In the age of gender equality women are entirely free to get plastered and not know who they are having sex with. It's their body their choice to get blind drunk and wake up the next day not knowing what happened.

Its a pretty old-fashioned notion to believe men should protect the honor of wimmin by not letting them have recreational sex whilst inebriated.

Then again, I think he may have been about 500 years old so perhaps he had dementia.

Go back and read the text.

Not all translations compel exhaustive inclusion but in any case Noah was free to determine whether dingo, wolf, coyote, jackal, hyena, poodle, labrador, terrier, husky, were all the same kind of animal.
Yeah, because he was part of a pre-scientific culture whose only available categorisation methodology was opinions and gut feelings. The same methodology that wildly erroneously lumps koalas into the same category as grizzly bears.

But we have an entire science of cladistics, which categorises animals by tneir actual genetic relatedness. So we know better. Or at least, we should know better, if our minds aren't poisoned by unreasonable credence given to ancient tall tales.

Another thing about this fairy tale that I don't understand is the idea that Noah was the only righteous man in the world, so only he was permitted to survive a flood that wiped out the entire world and all other humans.

How many people do you think there were?
Hundreds? Thousands?

It's not inconceivable that wickedness was so pervasive that Noah might have been the most righteous on earth.

Afterwards, his daughters got him drunk and had sex with him, so they could carry on the family genes , aka seeds, but Noah claimed he didn't know his daughters had sex with him.

The reason Noah didnt think he had sex with his daughters is because he didnt have any daughters.

Sure right. He had no idea that his daughters were giving him wine and he didn't know they had sex with him.

Youre thinking of Lot.

Haven't we heard something like that in modern times? I didn't know what I was doing because I was drunk, your honor.

A person could be so intoxicated that they didnt know their sex partner was equally intoxicated and couldnt give informed consent.

In the age of gender equality women are entirely free to get plastered and not know who they are having sex with. It's their body their choice to get blind drunk and wake up the next day not knowing what happened.

Its a pretty old-fashioned notion to believe men should protect the honor of wimmin by not letting them have recreational sex whilst inebriated.

Then again, I think he may have been about 500 years old so perhaps he had dementia.

Go back and read the text.

Oh you are right about one thing. I might have been confusing Noah with Lot. Lot had sex with his daughters, but there are verses that mention Noah being drunk and naked, and his sons covering him up. There is so much incest in the Bible, it's hard to keep it all straight. Btw, how did people procreate if only Noah, his wife and their sons survived the so called great flood? Did Noah have sex with his daughter in laws, his granddaughters, or did his wife have sex with her sons? So many unanswered questions, but that's the thing about mythology. It doesn't have to make sense for people to believe it.

Back
Top Bottom