• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Atheists likely to be wealthier

Also Oscar Wilde: "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."

As materialists, atheists can only direct their desire toward material things: sex, money, status.

Someone can also direct their fist to your face. A fist is a material thing as well.
Is that where you direct your desire, to violent fantasy?

Hey you're the one who claimed I only care about status, power is one means to that. Own up to it.
I have owned up to it. I'm with Spinoza: "[f]or Atheists are wont greedily to covet rank and riches, which I have always despised, as all who know me are aware."

Yeah and you can't give a single independent thought ever because you're stupid.

As materialists, atheists can only direct their desire toward material things: sex, money, status.

Someone can also direct their fist to your face. A fist is a material thing as well.

Hey you're the one who claimed I only care about status, power is one means to that. Own up to it.
I have owned up to it. I'm with Spinoza: "[f]or Atheists are wont greedily to covet rank and riches, which I have always despised, as all who know me are aware."

Yeah and you can't give a single independent thought ever because you're stupid.
I'm also a poopie-head. Neener, neener.

Take the training wheels off. It's time to learn how to ride a bike on your own.

By the way, mods, why do these assholes get to bait people with their stupid insults?

By the way, mods, why do these assholes get to bait people with their stupid insults?
Yeah, ban Spinoza fur chrissakes already!
Spinoza was a fucking self-righteous religious asshole. Quoting him to make a point so as to make argument from such dubious authority is to stand in his shoes.

The fact is that you have made claims refuted by reality, and it does not matter who first made such a trash claim, YOU were the one to repeat it, without so much as asking the question whether the atheists here thought any such thing.

From my perspective, the Christian hope is to find a world that is built without having to do the work of building it, a paradise for yourself to have what you want without any work or challenge or hardship at all. From my perspective that seems rather greedy and materialistic. Simplistic and idiotic even, it is the core of a death cult of ever I saw one.

In reality, the only heaven we will ever see or have is the one we build with our own hands, and we won't do that by donating to scam artists making promises to the greedy and lazy assholes who want to think their belief entitles them to their greed.

The people I have met here are not about greed, or at least most of them.

It would serve you well to actually listen to and understand the folks here. Maybe even look at that "inventing Jesus" thread?

You might find some day that you are insulting the very ideas that inspired the NT in the first place.

Dude insults atheists, gets surprised when one pushes back.

Yeah, ban Spinoza fur chrissakes already!

Nope, ban people who come here specifically to dehumanize atheists, like yourself.
Can't take the heat? Maybe the internet isn't for you.

Maybe I'm tired of being pushed around in my life you fucking dipshit.

Oh yeah also I have no morals, I literally can't stop. Why are you trying to convince me?

^Richard Carrier has done some work on the question of atheist morals and ethics. His solutions are not good, but at least he's aware of the problems.

My experience says Christians and atheists are collectively no better or worse that each other. It is Christians who clam a superiority certain;y not born out through history and today.

There are atheist theologies for lack of a better word as shown by Carrier and others.

As to wealth or any other category, accurately categorizing atheists and theists is an impossible task for the purpose of a poll or survey.

If somebody says he or she is atheist it has no meaning without qualification. Same with a Christian.

There have been numerous threads on what atheist and Christian means.

Self serving conclusions come from both sides.

Spinoza was a fucking self-righteous religious asshole. Quoting him to make a point so as to make argument from such dubious authority is to stand in his shoes.
No he wasn't, he was one of the enlightenment's "founding fathers" of secularism and atheism.

Don't believe the people that come here telling you what Spinoza said. They don't know either.

Spinoza used the word "God" utterly differently from supernaturalist theists. One aspect of his project was basically to find what's good in religions (similar to Alain de Botton's (and mine) wish to "steal" the non-superstitious and actually useful bits) and jettison the rest. It got him accused of atheism and he denied that because, again, back then the words had different implications.

There's irony in someone using Spinoza to bash atheists. But there's also irony in atheists not knowing where they get half their ideas and deriding those sources.

No he wasn't, he was one of the enlightenment's "founding fathers" of secularism and atheism.

Don't believe the people that come here telling you what Spinoza said. They don't know either.

Spinoza used the word "God" utterly differently from supernaturalist theists. His project was basically to find what's good in religions (similar to Alain de Botton's (and mine) wish to "steal" the non-superstitious and actually useful bits) and jettison the rest. It got him accused of atheism and he denied that because, again, back then the words had different implications.

There's irony in someone using Spinoza to bash atheists. But there's also irony in atheists not knowing where they get half their ideas and deriding those sources.

For Spinoza, atheism and materialism were pretty much synonymous. This is quite insightful. Now, there are certainly exceptions, people whom we might call spiritual atheists. We might count Spinoza in this group. If we do that, however, we would really have to open it up: Moses, Hegel, Jesus, Marx. In fact, Judaism and its offspring, Christianity and Islam, are essentially of this nature. The Shema states, "Hear, Israel, existence is your god, existence is one." This insight is not acceptable to most of the denizens of this forum because they seek to condemn religion in its essence, which compels them to ignore the claim that religion is essentially correct, and that what it needs is not condemnation, but true understanding.

Spinoza used the word "God" utterly differently from supernaturalist theists. One aspect of his project was basically to find what's good in religions (similar to Alain de Botton's (and mine) wish to "steal" the non-superstitious and actually useful bits) and jettison the rest. It got him accused of atheism and he denied that because, again, back then the words had different implications.

Well I just dismissed him because he wrote that thing about ethics, and I'm just a dirty, vile atheist, so shrug. ;)

Back
Top Bottom