• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If Trump elected why would he ever obey a supreme court ruling he doesn't like?

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
I can't imagine a scenario where Trump follows a ruling from the Supreme court he doesn't like. What is the downside? The supreme court has no army or police force to enforce its rulings.

The constitutional remedy is impeachment. But it requires 2/3rds of senators to convict on articles of impeachment. Even if democrats happen to control the house in 2025 (that's a big if, because if they don't impeachment probably won't get off the ground), there is no way in hell 2/3 of senators will vote to convict, as there will be, at a bare minimum, 48 republicians in the senate.

I can also imagine Trump stacking the supreme court with a bunch of loyalist lackeys, expanding it beyond 9 seats, to provide himself some more cover so the rulings he doesn't like become far less frequent.

What other possible consequence would he face for disobeying the supreme court? His MAGA cult would be cheering him on or come up with excuses on how he isn't really disobeying the supreme court, and how the stories about him disobeying are actually liberal media lies.

This has pretty much been his response to constitutional challenges, like his blatant violation of the emoluments clause, the appointments clause, and so forth. "What constitution?" There may be paper laws against doing some of the things he did and tried to do, but there's very little provision for what to do if the president just decides to ignore the law and knows the Congress will back him up.

This has pretty much been his response to constitutional challenges, like his blatant violation of the emoluments clause, the appointments clause, and so forth. "What constitution?" There may be paper laws against doing some of the things he did and tried to do, but there's very little provision for what to do if the president just decides to ignore the law and knows the Congress will back him up.

Exactly. I went to law school when and when Trump got elected everyone so naively thought that surely, Constitutional law will put Trump in his place. You mentioned the Emoluments clause. It should've had him thrown out of office by the end of his second year. No way would this idiot would survive the rules of the nation's founding document.

Since then, it's become clear that our laws are only worth more than the paper they're written on if the people with the power to enforce them actually do so. I've experienced this personally in court, albeit very rarely, but to see the law blatantly fucked off because it clashed with what the judge thought should happen is surreal.

To see it happen on a national scale is chilling.

This issue with SCOTUS right now; whether a POTUS is immune to prosecution for criminal acts will determine whether this nation remains a democracy or quickly collapses into tyranny. Biden will have a short time in which to test the new rules. He'll either save us through means we've never had to contemplate or allow the nation to fail through inaction.

Exactly. I went to law school when and when Trump got elected everyone so naively thought that surely, Constitutional law will put Trump in his place. You mentioned the Emoluments clause. It should've had him thrown out of office by the end of his second year. No way would this idiot would survive the rules of the nation's founding document.

Since then, it's become clear that our laws are only worth more than the paper they're written on if the people with the power to enforce them actually do so. I've experienced this personally in court, albeit very rarely, but to see the law blatantly fucked off because it clashed with what the judge thought should happen is surreal.

To see it happen on a national scale is chilling.

This issue with SCOTUS right now; whether a POTUS is immune to prosecution for criminal acts will determine whether this nation remains a democracy or quickly collapses into tyranny. Biden will have a short time in which to test the new rules. He'll either save us through means we've never had to contemplate or allow the nation to fail through inaction.
Who can hold SCOTUS responsible for abetting a traitor and his ongoing coup attempt? As I understand that would require an unattainable majority of both houses of Congress. IOW nobody.

Back
Top Bottom