• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Parenting Megathread

Having children is the greatest mistake you'll ever make. The pay off is high and so are the costs, inconvenience, and compromises.

My wife said just the other night for the first time that adopting our three kids was a big mistake. I've harbored similar thoughts for a good while. She feels like a failure.
I think that late adolescence/early legal adulthood is the hardest time of being a parent. Harder than 15 months of colic. At some point, I think most parents feel like failures. It is so achingly painful to see your kid struggle.

Remember for much of human history, young adults lived with their families at least until they married and had their own families. Three or four generations under the same roof was the norm. It really wasn’t until post WWII that it became the ‘norm’ for children to leave the nest at 18, and move into little ranch houses in anonymous subdivisions.

You’ve done a wonderful thing, raising these kids.

My latest struggle: figuring out which automatic, everyday things I have to make sure I don't do because our preschooler wants to 'do it himself'. At our first speech therapy session I accidentally pressed an elevator button and you'd have thought the world was ending.

On the plus side, speech therapy is going well.

Then you've got the cuter, twenty month old version: "I do it", both when he did something, and when he wants to do something.

Medication changed seems to have helped concentration in class. The school listened regarding transition related issues. Filling out the paperwork, and keep seeing new things on the does your child do this rarely, often, etc... mixing pronouns on the initial try has become a thing. Some of the form stuff is silly. Asking the same question in multiple ways. Not certain how that noise could be managed. Also, the answers for some things vary by medication. She exhibits certain quirks unmedicated (hyperactivity) and other quirks while medicated (schedule regime). I think the ADHD masks the Autism. Does your child have trouble finishing tasks. What, like cleaning her part of the basement? I think all 11 year olds qualify for that. Without medicine she can put together one of the STEM sets she gets from her Nana. Needed to help her remember to slow down though, which helps her not make mistakes. But, it is just a 1 through 4 option. *sigh*
Having children is the greatest mistake you'll ever make. The pay off is high and so are the costs, inconvenience, and compromises.

My wife said just the other night for the first time that adopting our three kids was a big mistake. I've harbored similar thoughts for a good while. She feels like a failure.
I think that late adolescence/early legal adulthood is the hardest time of being a parent.
Are you trying to talk me onto the cliff?! :D

Medication changed seems to have helped concentration in class. The school listened regarding transition related issues. Filling out the paperwork, and keep seeing new things on the does your child do this rarely, often, etc... mixing pronouns on the initial try has become a thing. Some of the form stuff is silly. Asking the same question in multiple ways. Not certain how that noise could be managed. Also, the answers for some things vary by medication. She exhibits certain quirks unmedicated (hyperactivity) and other quirks while medicated (schedule regime). I think the ADHD masks the Autism. Does your child have trouble finishing tasks. What, like cleaning her part of the basement? I think all 11 year olds qualify for that. Without medicine she can put together one of the STEM sets she gets from her Nana. Needed to help her remember to slow down though, which helps her not make mistakes. But, it is just a 1 through 4 option. *sigh*

I think that late adolescence/early legal adulthood is the hardest time of being a parent.
My kid who I believe (and he does, as well) is on the autism scale was extremely difficult as an infant until age 3. Did. Not. Sleep. Colic. Refused a bottle of anything, period. Under any circumstance. Refused to eat from his own plate/bowl/tray but was happy to scavange what fell to the floor. Ear infections added to the crying. Not fun times.

Elementary school was pretty good because his teachers were really good and let him be him. Middle school = nightmare. High school--pretty decent, actually. He made lasting friendships with a great group of kids who are now all fine adults and extremely accepting of all kinds of different. Never went through the typical teenage rebellion until he dropped out of college to join the army. Honestly, his adolescence was easy.

That happy, perfect child? Ayayayayay. Good kid but omg. He's a lawyer now, so it worked out.

My daughter called during dinner and while we were watching a movie. She does this a lot. She calls and I say I'm eating dinner and watching a movie and she seems to think it's perfectly fine to just keep talking.

When my parents were still around, if I called and they said they were eating dinner, I'd ask when would be good to call back or do they want to call me back.

I need to start getting more blunt with my daughter. If I'm eating dinner and watching something when she calls, I need to be more clear that that isn't an invitation to keep talking.

Tonight I said I was eating dinner and watching a movie and I'd like to watch the move. She seemed so surprised that I said that. But honestly, should she really be so surprised?

My kid who I believe (and he does, as well) is on the autism scale was extremely difficult as an infant until age 3. Did. Not. Sleep. Colic. Refused a bottle of anything, period. Under any circumstance. Refused to eat from his own plate/bowl/tray but was happy to scavange what fell to the floor. Ear infections added to the crying. Not fun times.

Elementary school was pretty good because his teachers were really good and let him be him. Middle school = nightmare. High school--pretty decent, actually. He made lasting friendships with a great group of kids who are now all fine adults and extremely accepting of all kinds of different. Never went through the typical teenage rebellion until he dropped out of college to join the army. Honestly, his adolescence was easy.

That happy, perfect child? Ayayayayay. Good kid but omg. He's a lawyer now, so it worked out.

When my kids were younger than 18 was the worst for reasons that I've talked about so many times.

Another reason is that my daughter would try to split us from other adults. She'd say something like she's not allowed to play with her younger brothers to the teachers. The teacher would call DCF and say she was being neglected because she can't play with her younger brothers.

In reality, we could not let her play with her brothers unsupervised because she'd beat them up. We were fortunate that we kept a large circle of social workers around us who could explain that it would not be safe to let my daughter play unsupervised with her brothers.

Social workers and teachers don't listen to parents. They only believe other social workers. Before they were 18 we lived in terror of DCF for reasons like that.

In many ways were were in that rock and a hard place situation. She was dangerous. If we let her play with her brothers unsupervised we'd be putting her brothers in danger. If we don't we get a call from DCF. It was a nightmare.

My daughter called during dinner and while we were watching a movie. She does this a lot. She calls and I say I'm eating dinner and watching a movie and she seems to think it's perfectly fine to just keep talking.

When my parents were still around, if I called and they said they were eating dinner, I'd ask when would be good to call back or do they want to call me back.

I need to start getting more blunt with my daughter. If I'm eating dinner and watching something when she calls, I need to be more clear that that isn't an invitation to keep talking.

Tonight I said I was eating dinner and watching a movie and I'd like to watch the move. She seemed so surprised that I said that. But honestly, should she really be so surprised?

And she just called again but called the land line. She knows that my cell phone goes on Do Not Disturb at 8pm because I don't want phone calls. So she feels free to call the house phone. I have explained previously that calling the house phone after 8pm is for emergencies.

Tonight she wanted to tell me that the baby stroller arrived.

That's nice. But there is a time and place and after 8pm is not the time.

I do like to know what's going on in my daughter's life but she dives way too deep into TMI and at the wrong times.

She’s excited. It’s hard to wait when you’re young and excited about something new,

She is excited. And so is her fiance. I know they will be loving parents. But she paid like $700 after his 40% discount at the store he works for, for a top of the line stroller while I pay all their housing costs. Sorry I'm feeling a bit cynical.

She’s excited. It’s hard to wait when you’re young and excited about something new,

She is excited. And so is her fiance. I know they will be loving parents. But she paid like $700 after his 40% discount at the store he works for, for a top of the line stroller while I pay all their housing costs. Sorry I'm feeling a bit cynical.
She can afford to buy that very nice stroller because you pay her housing costs. Which you know.

She’s really young to be a parent, and her partner is not the most together person in the world.

Over the coming years, you’ll need to have a series—or several series of conversations about how she becomes self sufficient, and how important it will be for her in terms of her self confidence and also to model independence and self sufficiency for her child.

Very few young adults at her age are capable of handling parenthood independently and without significant help, especially monetarily.

We were really poor when we had our first child. Recently I’ve been thinking about that and truly understanding just how foolish and perilous that was—and how lucky we were. My family was in no position to help financially or otherwise. My husband’s family helped some, crucially but they were t able to kick in lots of money.

For a long time—maybe still, I had been very proud of that. I was raised with a weird and somewhat pervasive sense of what I can only call machismo: you stood on your own two feet, dammit! And we did. But only one small upset could have destroyed us. Our parents and siblings really never knew how close to the edge we were. Didn’t admit it to ourselves. We were naive, stupid and incredibly lucky.

Your daughter is lucky to have you.

I think that late adolescence/early legal adulthood is the hardest time of being a parent. Harder than 15 months of colic. At some point, I think most parents feel like failures. It is so achingly painful to see your kid struggle.

What, specifically, makes it harder in your opinion? Is it something that varies from kid to kid, or is it a general.. they're all a bit rebellious kind of thing? I do have a bit of apprehension about my boys and the teen years, because we live in a part of the city where peer influences might not always be positive.

On the other hand, I feel like I've got a solid grasp of the social / mental development side of parenting, so none of the social stuff stresses me out much. At the moment my only problem is that I'm on all day long. I figured once that ends, things will be easier.

What, specifically, makes it harder in your opinion? Is it something that varies from kid to kid, or is it a general.. they're all a bit rebellious kind of thing? I do have a bit of apprehension about my boys and the teen years, because we live in a part of the city where peer influences might not always be positive.

On the other hand, I feel like I've got a solid grasp of the social / mental development side of parenting, so none of the social stuff stresses me out much. At the moment my only problem is that I'm on all day long. I figured once that ends, things will be easier.
It varies from kid to kid. I’m extremely fortunate: None of my kids really really rebelled by engaging in a lot of dangerous behavior. I was fairly certain that there was some degree of alcohol/pot consumption but nothing dramatic or really concerning. Later, as adults they have told me what I already pretty much knew about their youthful transgressions. The only thing I didn’t know or strongly suspect was that my daughter used to sneak out at night to go to parties I wouldn’t have let her go to. That still scares me. She could have really been hurt.

Really, it’s about the necessary/normal shift of power and control over your kids’ time and behavior. They must—truly they must establish themselves as separate adults who make their own decisions, some of which will be risky, dangerous, ill advised and foolish. And mine were not the least bit shy about telling us.

With toddlers you worry about if they are hitting their developmental milestones, if they put something terrible in their mouths, if this ear infection is the one that will prompt a recommendation for ear tubes. If they are being bullied at preschool or if they are the bullies. If you’re doing a good job. Especially when they stamp their foot and tell you NO even when you didn’t actually ask them to do something. They have meltdowns when you need them to put on their coats or shoes or pjs.

Teenagers have meltdowns too, with the equivalent of you asking about school assignments, cleaning their room, how their day at school went, how their friend with a rough home situation is doing, if they have thought about a summer job, where they want to go to college or if they’ve taken out the trash. Or if parents will be home at the party they want to attend. They really will not let you pull them into a hug when they’ve had a really bad day no matter how much they need one. I highly recommend a nice shaggy dog for these moments. Dogs know and they keep every secret.

I think that there are many similarities between ages 2-4 and 11-18. Stakes are different. One of my kids wanted to put everything in his mouth as a toddler, even old chewing gum at the bus stop. Easy enough to prevent if you are hyper vigilant. Not so easy to prevent the same kid from putting a cigarette ( any kind) or pills or booze in their mouths when they are at a party or hanging with some friends, I might not care for the bully-curious friend in kindergarten but play dates are supervised. This is not true when the kids are 15. A game of you show me yours and I’ll show you mine is a lot different at 2-5 than it is after age 11.

Stakes are different because kids need to take risks even if it’s just considering whether to do that risky thing. And they need to make decisions for themselves. Which means sometimes they are going to make bad decisions-maybe scary decisions. They are getting ready to go out into the world on their own and that’s terrifying —and exciting—for them and parent.

You become used to being able to tell your child to wash their hands, set the table, make their beds, pick up their toys. And then they tower over you, need a shower ( or shave!!), just ate half a loaf of bread, outgrew every pair of pants you bought them 3 months ago and really don’t notice the laundry all over their bedroom floors. Or care. And still want dinner. But if you’ve spent the afternoon making their very favorite: they want dinner at their friend’s house. You will be lame for days, weeks, months—and then they will keep you up all night talking about….everything/anything/nothing at all. There will not be as much sleep as you hope for because of this or because they never make it home until curfew or because you are worrying if they really went to this friend’s house and not that friend’s house.

I did my best to make our house one where there was always room for one more at the table, always healthy snacks, always a parent within earshot if needed.

I feel extremely fortunate that mine went through adolescence without the internet/social media, That is such a game changer.

She can afford to buy that very nice stroller because you pay her housing costs. Which you know.

She’s really young to be a parent, and her partner is not the most together person in the world.

Over the coming years, you’ll need to have a series—or several series of conversations about how she becomes self sufficient, and how important it will be for her in terms of her self confidence and also to model independence and self sufficiency for her child.

Very few young adults at her age are capable of handling parenthood independently and without significant help, especially monetarily.

We were really poor when we had our first child. Recently I’ve been thinking about that and truly understanding just how foolish and perilous that was—and how lucky we were. My family was in no position to help financially or otherwise. My husband’s family helped some, crucially but they were t able to kick in lots of money.

For a long time—maybe still, I had been very proud of that. I was raised with a weird and somewhat pervasive sense of what I can only call machismo: you stood on your own two feet, dammit! And we did. But only one small upset could have destroyed us. Our parents and siblings really never knew how close to the edge we were. Didn’t admit it to ourselves. We were naive, stupid and incredibly lucky.

Your daughter is lucky to have you.
Indeed. Stewardship matters. A lot of people have been harmed to a point where they will never fully recover. But that doesn't mean they are completely lost and can't recover at all. And of course, some people are just a bit simpler than others. Some never receive what they needed in support to recover to the best point they can. With support, they might fail a bit or struggle, make you bang your head against a wall, but they might not end up being addicts (or always addicts) or criminals or homeless.

With stewardship, they have a chance at not being miserable for the rest of their lives, because without it, the chances of those things becomes greater.

It varies from kid to kid. I’m extremely fortunate: None of my kids really really rebelled by engaging in a lot of dangerous behavior. I was fairly certain that there was some degree of alcohol/pot consumption but nothing dramatic or really concerning. Later, as adults they have told me what I already pretty much knew about their youthful transgressions. The only thing I didn’t know or strongly suspect was that my daughter used to sneak out at night to go to parties I wouldn’t have let her go to. That still scares me. She could have really been hurt.

Really, it’s about the necessary/normal shift of power and control over your kids’ time and behavior. They must—truly they must establish themselves as separate adults who make their own decisions, some of which will be risky, dangerous, ill advised and foolish. And mine were not the least bit shy about telling us.

I'm curious how it'll go with mine. I was a pretty cocky teenager, some of which I think was the manifestation of early mental health issues. But I can't overstate how absent my parents were from our lives. I mean, they were there, they fed and housed us, but as for a role model of any kind I was on my own. There was no guidance or guardrail, just me figuring everything out by myself.

But my wife and I have already started the establish themselves as separate thing. We're very hands off but we're also there as a guide and guard rail. Wherever possible I try to do as little as I can for both of them. I'm emotionally present, but I try to make sure they're figuring out things by themselves. And our eldest has already achieved a surprising level of maturity for a three and a half year old.

So my hope is that this continues and I can be the role model they need to become reasonably responsible, informed young men, and not over-confident like I was. And I'm not lacking on knowledge, so that helps.

I don’t believe in heroes or role models. Pedestals are always too high and too narrow. When heroes and role models fall to earth and shatter—as they always do!, it hurts you more than it does them.

Just do your best to be a good person that they can rely on. Be as honest and consistent and fair as you can, in age appropriate ways. Let them see you make mistakes, apologize and fix things as best you can. Let them see you laugh at yourself, a little, and to show their mom how much you love and respect her as a person and as your wife and as their mother.

Heroes maybe, but I don't think there's a need to overthink the term role model.

When I was growing up I just needed someone to tell me to respect others, and to remind me when I wasn't doing that. I didn't need my parents to be perfect. If I can get my boys to put themselves in others shoes, and maybe steer them clear of a few bad decisions, that'll be enough.

I think perhaps I over-extend my own family's....dysfunction. My oldest sibling is in her 70's and our parents have been gone close to 20 years---and she still talks about wanting Mom and Dad to be proud of her...... So, it can go a little too far. I know you'd never do that.

My toddler's development seems to be going well, which is a relief because it's hard to predict how one's parenting techniques are affecting the child's development. You can make some connections in hindsight but most of the time we just try to take a principled approach in being patient, affectionate, engaged etc.

My toddler's development seems to be going well, which is a relief because it's hard to predict how one's parenting techniques are affecting the child's development. You can make some connections in hindsight but most of the time we just try to take a principled approach in being patient, affectionate, engaged etc.

If I haven't mentioned it before this book has been my go to for most things. There's a lot of great advice inside, but one of the things she mentions that is particularly critical is to never do for your kid what they can do for themselves. Fundamentally, that's what parenting is, teaching your kid to be able to take care of themselves independently from you. But the counter-intuitive part of it is that most of the time you're teaching them independence by giving them freedom to experiment, learn and make mistakes on their own within safe boundaries. Basically, keep them safe, but let them develop the confidence to solve problems on their own.

In that way, helicopter parents can actually be more damaging than parents who are slightly neglectful, because at least in the latter case the kids are forced to make decisions on their own.

As for discipline I've heard a lot about authoritative vs authoritarian vs passive. Generally authoritative is what you want to aim for, which I think is fairly intuitive if you're a reasonable person.

Back
Top Bottom