• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Recent Moon landings

With all these vehicles on the moon now it is getting dangerous to cross the surface.
Actually, what's dangerous is being there during a landing (or an ascent if there is one). A rocket can yeet lunar bits hard enough to throw them about anywhere.
Learned my new word for the day.

What to Know. Yeet is a slang word that functions broadly with the meaning “to throw,” but is especially used to emphasize forcefulness and a lack of concern for the thing being thrown. (You don't yeet something if you're worried that it might break.)

Smart Lander for Investigating Moon - SLIM - landed on the Moon recently, tipping over but releasing two rovers.
The lander's solar panels ended up pointing westward, not a good orientation. But they got some power for the lander during late local afternoon.
It's now local night, and the lander may not survive its cold lunar night. Nighttime temperatures can be as low as -170 C, while daytime temperatures can be as high as 110 C.

Local daytime will start again on February 15.

I can't find out much on the two rovers, but they seem to be functional. Will they also survive the lunar night?

Lists of spacecraft and  List of missions to the Moon and  List of lunar probes and  List of landings on extraterrestrial bodies and  List of artificial objects on the Moon and  List of active Solar System probes

Japan, India and Russia Race to Land, or Crash, on the Moon - The New York Times

Nova-C - an upcoming lunar lander made by Intuitive Machines. Its first launch will be early this year, its second one in midyear, and its third one late this year.

Another one is  Chang'e 6, likely in May of this year.

Firefly Aerospace will send the Blue Ghost lander to the Moon late this year.

VIPER (rover) will be sent to the Moon in Astrobotics's Griffin lander late this year.

Blastoff! SpaceX launches Intuitive Machines 'Odysseus' lander to the moon - YouTube on February 15

Intuitive Machines Nova-C noting  IM-1 the spacecraft that that rocket sent to the Moon.

That spacecraft went into low lunar orbit on February 21, and then landed near the Moon's south pole on February 22. However, it caught on something and it tipped over when it landed, and it is now on its side. But it is otherwise functional.

Another recent lunar lander tipped over, and it also survived. Japan's SLIM moon probe unexpectedly survives lunar night | Reuters

Blastoff! SpaceX launches Intuitive Machines 'Odysseus' lander to the moon - YouTube on February 15

Intuitive Machines Nova-C noting  IM-1 the spacecraft that that rocket sent to the Moon.

That spacecraft went into low lunar orbit on February 21, and then landed near the Moon's south pole on February 22. However, it caught on something and it tipped over when it landed, and it is now on its side. But it is otherwise functional.

Another recent lunar lander tipped over, and it also survived. Japan's SLIM moon probe unexpectedly survives lunar night | Reuters
The top-heavy intuitive machines lander was moving laterally around 2mph when it hit the ground downwards at 6mph on a terrain tilted by about 12 degrees. It had to rely on an experimental LiDAR system when their own system proved to not be operable because someone forgot to disable the laser safety feature before flight.

Sigh… but they still technically landed, and very close to where they wanted, being able to communicate with the lander through lower gain antennae (high gain pointed the wrong way because of the sideways orientation).

Should search, but I wonder what reason there is for designing the lander to be top heavy and prone to toppling?
I believe it had to do with the way the fuel consumption would affect the center of mass, but I’m sure there’s a longer answer out there.

Had they come straight down instead of laterally it would have been less likely to topple, so they’ll need to understand what led to the trajectory they had.

But it certainly does seem to suggest potential redesigns.

The top-heavy intuitive machines lander was moving laterally around 2mph when it hit the ground downwards at 6mph on a terrain tilted by about 12 degrees. It had to rely on an experimental LiDAR system when their own system proved to not be operable because someone forgot to disable the laser safety feature before flight.

Sigh… but they still technically landed, and very close to where they wanted, being able to communicate with the lander through lower gain antennae (high gain pointed the wrong way because of the sideways orientation).
:picardfacepalm: How that never made it into the pre-launch check list is astounding. I used to be an engineer on missile development programs for a major defense contractor and all the engineers were nervous and edgy right before and after a launch, due to the nagging feeling that a multi-million dollar failure could be linked to some boneheaded thing you did or didn't do. I can't imagine how awful the person who was liable for that mistake must feel.

:picardfacepalm: How that never made it into the pre-launch check list is astounding. I used to be an engineer on missile development programs for a major defense contractor and all the engineers were nervous and edgy right before and after a launch, due to the nagging feeling that a multi-million dollar failure could be linked to some boneheaded thing you did or didn't do. I can't imagine how awful the person who was liable for that mistake must feel.
A video I watched yesterday said they skipped certain prelaunch tests to save time and money.

That’s how.

And in fact, had they not entered a slightly elliptical orbit first and decided to check on their orbital height with their laser system they would not have known it wasn’t working until during the final descent and would have crashed. They got lucky to find out it wasn’t working and frantically patched in the experimental nasa lidar system.

A video I watched yesterday said they skipped certain prelaunch tests to save time and money.

That’s how.
:eek: I can believe it. Probably a decision by some clueless, non-technical manager.

If you happen to have that video handy, I would love to see it, but if its long gone, no problem.

That’s how.
:eek: I can believe it. Probably a decision by some clueless, non-technical manager.

If you happen to have that video handy, I would love to see it, but if its long gone, no problem.

That was interesting..thanks for sharing. Despite it being an embarrassing screw up at prelaunch ((n)), it actually was pretty impressive that they were able to send a software patch to the lander during lunar orbit and get it to at least make it to the surface (albeit crippled). So, (y) for that.

That was interesting..thanks for sharing. Despite it being an embarrassing screw up at prelaunch ((n)), it actually was pretty impressive that they were able to send a software patch to the lander during lunar orbit and get it to at least make it to the surface (albeit crippled). So, (y) for that.
Yeah. I saw an interview that stated the process they undertook in about an hour and a half would have taken a month to do had they followed standard software development and test procedures prelaunch. That they were able to patch in a system not designed to work with their lander in such a short time and hit their target within about 1.5km or so is quite a feat.

Should search, but I wonder what reason there is for designing the lander to be top heavy and prone to toppling?
KSP player here: It's hard not to. Short and squat is far easier to deal with in space--but short and squat is a big problem in getting through the atmosphere. And KSP physics are far more forgiving as you don't need as high a propellant fraction in the stock game. And fuel flow is much more forgiving--pipes carry infinite fuel without regard for gravity. Adding some extra boosters to get an abomination into space isn't a big deal.

I believe it had to do with the way the fuel consumption would affect the center of mass, but I’m sure there’s a longer answer out there.

Had they come straight down instead of laterally it would have been less likely to topple, so they’ll need to understand what led to the trajectory they had.

Straight down will cost you extra fuel, you do not want to kill your horizontal velocity any earlier than you have to. If you're moving at less than orbital velocity you will be accelerating towards the body below you and that is undesirable. It's called gravity loss. You minimize it by flying at orbital speed for as much of the flight as possible. Earth rockets actually tip late because atmosphere loss from tipping at the "ideal" point costs you more than the gravity loss you're avoiding. On an airless body you tip as soon as possible on takeoff, you straighten out as late as possible on landing. The exact tip depends on your thrust to weight ratio and how much control authority you have.

They had to kludge the landing because it flew with a remove-before-flight safety pin still installed, didn't get it perfect.

Those remove-before-flight pins don't fly and thus aren't subject to weight limits. I'm surprised they don't go with a system of putting some sort of transmitter on them as a cross-check.

On the other hand, I tend to keep getting surprised at how manual so many things are handled. I'm thinking of the failure of the first Ariane V launcher. They used some code from the Ariane IV, but it was wired to a new sensor--oops, the new sensor could return a higher range of values than the old one. In it's normal operating mode this was of absolutely no concern, it returned the same actual values. It was meant for precise measurements of where the rocket was on the pad, needed for on-the-fly computation of the flight profile if it didn't go off at the originally scheduled launch second--completely moot once you light the engines.

However, did they have some sort of automatic handling of this? No--the program simply continued to run for many seconds past the scheduled launch, giving the operators enough time to extend it if there was a hold. This meant that the program continued to operate while in flight. The inputs became garbage and the outputs were thus also garbage--but since nobody wanted those outputs any more it didn't matter. That is, until the new sensor could return bigger garbage than the logic could handle. Divide overflow--with no error trap as that was never supposed to occur. Primary guidance computer locked up, the backup took over--same garbage, same code, same result. While there wasn't much thrust vectoring there was a bit--and it locked hard over. The rocket couldn't handle the turn, broke and then suicided in response to the break.

Straight down will cost you extra fuel, you do not want to kill your horizontal velocity any earlier than you have to.

By “straight down” I was referring to the final moments. They hit the ground moving at an unplanned 2mph horizontal speed. The plan was for 0mph horizontal speed at the time of touchdown.

They had to kludge the landing because it flew with a remove-before-flight safety pin still installed, didn't get it perfect.
The second video I posted suggested that they weren’t able to successfully use the NASA lidar system because they couldn’t process the information in real time, even after patching the software. So they were likely flying on rate sensors or other hardware and thus did not have accurate enough information for the navigation system to properly stick the landing.

Straight down will cost you extra fuel, you do not want to kill your horizontal velocity any earlier than you have to.

By “straight down” I was referring to the final moments. They hit the ground moving at an unplanned 2mph horizontal speed. The plan was for 0mph horizontal speed at the time of touchdown.
Which doesn't change the basic issue. Killing your horizontal velocity before you have to costs you fuel. The optimum course has your rocket only reaching no horizontal speed/entirely vertical orientation at touchdown. There is also the issue that control authority always costs, you don't put more of it than you need. (Note: KSP is a horrible model in this regard, control authority is way, way overdone for the sake of gameplay.)

Back
Top Bottom