• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So...Green is the new Black now?

Looking at the economy and the way it's working for non-billionaires, a million is functionally the new thousand.
It used to be that it was hard to lose money if you had a million or few, or so it seemed to me, especially when I was destitute or nearly so.
The divide between the haves and have nots that used to separate the upper and upper middle classes from the lower middle and lower classes, now separates virtually everyone else from the uber billlionaires.

Google shows me that 8% of Americans today are millionaires. (How are they counted? Suppose a couple with two kids and $1.2 million. Is that four millionaires (number of people in the million-dollar household) or zero (none would have a million after a split-up)?

As shown in a Wiki map below, the U.S. is in a worse Gini bracket than any European country except Bulgaria. Some apologists will argue that lower-income Americans may be better off than middle-income people in a country like Thailand, but that is misleading for several reasons. And I read that some Americans with full-time jobs are nevertheless sleeping in their car, with their kids!

gini.png

ETA: Why do some images work on some Previews, but not after Posted?

Update:

Teens forced out of exclusive California Catholic school for doing 'blackface' are awarded $1 million after proving it was green acne medication

Two California teens who were forced to withdraw from an elite Catholic high school over accusations of blackface have been awarded $1 million and tuition reimbursement.

A Santa Clara County jury sided with the teens, identified by the initials A.H. and H.H., on two claims concerning breach of oral contract and lack of due process.

The boys sued Saint Francis High School in August 2020 after photos circulated of them sporting acne treatment masks.

The controversy started when the boys were accused of performing blackface and were ultimately pressured into withdrawing from the prestigious Mountain View school.

'It was quite clear the jury believed these were innocent face masks,' attorney Krista Baughman told the San Francisco Chronicle after Monday's judgement.

'They are young kids, their internet trail is going to haunt them for the next 60 years. Now they don’t have to worry about that.'

It is a disgrace that the principal, Katie Teekell, the school and other parents behaved. It is also a disgrace that it took this long to resolve the case and $1m is not enough compensation for the boys, it should have been a lot more.
Well, the Catholic Church doesn't have a lot of money on hand due to the issues of hiding sex predators who preyed on children... but you know, this was pretty bad too.

Update:

Teens forced out of exclusive California Catholic school for doing 'blackface' are awarded $1 million after proving it was green acne medication

Two California teens who were forced to withdraw from an elite Catholic high school over accusations of blackface have been awarded $1 million and tuition reimbursement.

A Santa Clara County jury sided with the teens, identified by the initials A.H. and H.H., on two claims concerning breach of oral contract and lack of due process.

The boys sued Saint Francis High School in August 2020 after photos circulated of them sporting acne treatment masks.

The controversy started when the boys were accused of performing blackface and were ultimately pressured into withdrawing from the prestigious Mountain View school.

'It was quite clear the jury believed these were innocent face masks,' attorney Krista Baughman told the San Francisco Chronicle after Monday's judgement.

'They are young kids, their internet trail is going to haunt them for the next 60 years. Now they don’t have to worry about that.'

It is a disgrace that the principal, Katie Teekell, the school and other parents behaved. It is also a disgrace that it took this long to resolve the case and $1m is not enough compensation for the boys, it should have been a lot more.
Well, the Catholic Church doesn't have a lot of money on hand due to the issues of hiding sex predators who preyed on children...

I don't see why that would be relevant.

but you know, this was pretty bad too.

It was despicable.

Update:

Yeah, now that I rethink it, they should have got more than 500k each, especially considering the lawyers' cut of that. It really was a huge life disruption to the boys and their families...all because of a false narrative and a reckless principal. I am a little surprised that the defamation of character charge didn't stick. I'd be interested to hear the details on that. Its also disturbing that the school seems to still be defiant about the fairness of their disciplinary process, and is considering appeal. As far as I know, they never even expressed remorse or an apology for what happened.

I recently befriended a woman who works as a top level administrator at this school (its only a few miles from my house, and I regularly drive by it (including later today)). I'll have to ask her about Katie Teekell and see if she is as awful and incompetent as it appears.

Well, the Catholic Church doesn't have a lot of money on hand due to the issues of hiding sex predators who preyed on children...
I'm not surprised.

It was despicable.
Despicable would be having done this knowing that the students were innocent of having any malintent. The Administration could have been overbearing and unfair in their judgment, but it only becomes despicable if this was there actual intent to cause this harm to people they knew weren't guilty of malintent.

I'm not surprised.

It was despicable.
Despicable would be having done this knowing that the students were innocent of having any malintent. The Administration could have been overbearing and unfair in their judgment, but it only becomes despicable if this was there actual intent to cause this harm to people they knew weren't guilty of malintent.
Hmmm. So, a drunk driver who kills a kid is not despicable? I don't think the official definition of the word includes your stated restrictions.

I'm not surprised.

It wouldn’t be relevant as to how much cash on hand the church has when awarding damages to the boys.

It was despicable.

Sure, Jan.

Back
Top Bottom