• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Marjorie Taylor Greene case

From some 1,500 years ago, Roman/Byzantine Emperor Justinian's New Law #77: The Novels of Justinian : Novel 77 ( Scott )
Therefore, as certain persons, instigated by the devil, devote themselves to the most reprehensible vices, and commit crimes contrary to nature, We hereby enjoin them to fear God and the judgment to come, to avoid diabolical and illicit sensuality of this kind; in order that, through such acts, they may not incur the just anger of God, and bring about the destruction of cities along with their inhabitants; for We learn from the Holy Scriptures that both cities as well as men have perished because of wicked acts of this kind.
saying later in it that "crimes of this description cause famine, earthquakes, and pestilence".

Author Gore Vidal shortened this to claiming that sodomy causes earthquakes.

Chaos erupts in House as Marjorie Taylor Greene, AOC clash over ‘fake eyelashes’ jibe at Jasmine Crockett
On Thursday, May 16, some Republican Congresspeople went to New York City to visit their hero as he is being tried for hush-money fraudulence. When they returned that evening, they continued with their business in Congress, like the Oversight Committee's markup meeting on whether to find Attorney General Merrick Garland guilty of contempt of Congress. Yes, they delayed that meeting from 11 am to 8 pm so that they could visit their hero.
Mayhem broke out during Thursday night’s Oversight hearing when Greene asked if any Democrats on the panel were employing the daughter of Judge Juan Merchan, who is overseeing former President Trump’s hush money trial in Manhattan. Trump and Republicans have targeted the judge’s daughter over her employment at a progressive digital agency. ...

“Please tell me what that has to do with Merrick Garland,” Crockett, a first-term lawmaker, asked, later adding, “do you know what we’re here for?”

“I don’t think you know what you’re here for,” Greene responded. “I think your fake eyelashes are messing up what you’re reading.”
Democrats were outraged. Jamie Raskin D-MD: “That’s beneath even you, Ms. Greene.”

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez D-NY: “that’s disgusting.” AOC then moved to take down those words, calling them “absolutely unacceptable," adding “How dare you attack the physical appearance of another person.”

MTG R-GA: “Are your feelings hurt?”

AOC: “Oh girl, oh baby girl, don’t even play.”

MTG: “Oh really, baby girl?”

“Are your feelings hurt?”
Hurting the feelings of their perceived enemies seems to be the primary goal of modern right-wing political activity, with almost any sacrifice (personal, political, environmental, or financial) being considered acceptable in pursuit of this solitary and rather pathetic objective, commonly known as "owning the libs".

"Someone put a flyer in my mailbox asking me to reduce smoke pollution in the neighborhood, so I burned my house and my car. That will really own the libs".

After a bit of argument about how to proceed, MTG agreed to strike down her words, but AOC demanded that MTG apologize to Jasmine Crockett D-TX, something that led to MTG insulting AOC.

AOC: “I believe she needs to apologize.”

MTG: “I’m not apologizing."

AOC: “Well then you’re not striking your words.”

MTG: “Why don’t you debate me?”

AOC: “I think it’s pretty self-evident.”

MTG: “Yeah, you don’t have enough intelligence.”

Democrats were outraged again, and MTG agreed to strike her "intelligence" comment. But again, she refused to apologize.

MTG: “You will never get an apology out of me. I don’t owe you one.”

Referring to a ruling that Oversight Committee head James Comer R-KY made about MTG's comments, JCkt said “I’m just curious, just to better understand your ruling. If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody’s bleach blond bad built butch body, that would not be engaging in personalities, correct?”

That was a thinly veiled swipe at MTG, and Anna Paulina Luna R-FL asked to strike JCkt's words.

JCkt: “I’m trying to get clarification.”

APL (yelling repeatedly): "Calm down."

JCkt: “Don’t tell me to calm down.”

APL: “Calm down. You’re out of control.

JCkt: “If I come and talk shit about her ya’ll gonna have a problem.”

APL: “I don’t know what you’re acting like that. It’s not cute.”

Jamie Raskin: “I think these 17 hour days might not work for us.”

APL: “Something about working, huh.”

Dan Goldman D-NY: “Yeah, maybe showing up for a vote,” referring to APL missing votes to visit her hero earlier today.

APL: DG is a “trust fund kid.”

From the article:
"The madness culminated Thursday night with a vote on whether or not to allow Greene to continue speaking during the hearing, which the panel ultimately granted in a 22-20 vote."

Lauren Boebert R-CO was the only Republican to vote against doing so. She and MTG have not gotten along very well.

"Boebert was sitting two seats away from Greene during the vote."

MTG at one point in this squabble: “I hope you brought your popcorn.”
Republicans moved to hold Garland in contempt after the attorney general refused to hand over the audio recording of President Biden’s interview with special counsel Robert Hur, despite already having the transcript of the conversation. Biden claimed executive privilege over the audio recordings.

The vote passed 24-20 along party lines just after 11 p.m. EDT Thursday night, hours after the House Judiciary Committee did the same. The full House will now vote on holding the attorney general in contempt.

Marjorie Taylor Greene fracas at hearing leaves lawmakers shaking their heads
House Oversight and Accountability Committee lawmakers railed against the episode as “disgusting,” “embarrassing,” and a “middle school fight.”

Rep. Jamie Raskin (Md.), the top Democrat on the panel, said matters devolved from there in what Democrats said was an alcohol-fueled hearing that included a lengthy detour to address Greene’s comments.

“You had a bunch of members who had skipped legislative votes yesterday in order to go to Donald Trump’s trial. There was drinking going on in the hearing room on the Republican side. I don’t even want to imagine how much drinking was taking place on the train or up in New York,” Raskin said.

“And these members came back out of control. And the chairman did not rein them in, and the institution pays the price,” he told reporters on the Capitol steps Friday morning.

“They skipped legislative votes in order to go to Trump’s trial, and they came back jacked up on a lot of Trump style animosity.”
Speaker Mike Johnson R-LA: “It’s not a good look for Congress. Decorum is an important principle to maintain.”

Lauren Boebert:
She at one point during the hearing apologized for the “squabbling.”

“We’re just gonna lob insults at one another? I thought it was a gross waste of time,” she said Friday.

“It’s embarrassing that we are elected officials and that’s what we’re going to do in committee.”
Anna Paulina Luna: members must “grow up.”

LB and APL went to NYC to visit their hero. MTG didn't.

Jasmine Crockett:
“She is racist. I mean, I don’t have any questions about that. Because, I mean, I don’t know that she’s ever attacked her own colleagues,” Crockett said Friday, noting Greene has not commented on Boebert’s appearance, even though the two have feuded in the past.

“Her and Boebert aren’t getting along. Boebert has clip-ins in her hair. And Boebert wears lashes, too, sometimes — it looks like. I don’t know. But she doesn’t attack her for any of her [physical embellishments]. She doesn’t do that, right? But she decided to do it to me. So absolutely [she’s a racist],” Crockett said.
Clip-ins are a kind of hair extension. They are attached to some of one's hair with the attachment being underneath some other hair.

Then Robert Garcia D-CA, calling her remarks “horrific” and “disgusting”, saying that “I think there’s no question that Marjorie Taylor Greene uses racist language all the time. I mean, let’s be very clear, she’s always actually, I think, coddling to white supremacists, she’s coddling to the language that Donald Trump uses. And so there’s no question that that’s the case."

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 on X: "Some people are upset ..." / X
Some people are upset about the scene from Oversight Committee last night, well I’m upset and disgusted pretty much everyday at the Democrat controlled DOJ, federal government, and Congress in general.

The Democrat DOJ is weaponized against us. They want to put Pres Trump in jail the rest of his life which is a death sentence!

They are throwing people in prison by the thousands for years for protesting the 2020 election but ignore their own paid criminal rioters.

They put Peter Navarro in prison and will soon put Steve Bannon in prison because of Nancy Pelosi’s corrupt January 6th Committee that broke House rules and hired an ABC TV producer to put on their prime time nightly hearings of LIES.

The Democrats are the same people who voted to kill unborn babies up until the day of birth and they would march us all in front of a firing squad if they could.

Congress has enslaved the American people in over $34 TRILLION in debt and that will be over $55 TRILLION in only 10 years.

Washington DC only cares about funding and fighting foreign wars while fully and cowardly refusing to fight the war waged against the American people at our own southern border.

Pardon me if I don’t talk as nicely as some people would like to hear.

I’m not going to keep you all addicted to outrage and hopium that never solves a problem or stops the inevitable implosion of the United States of America.

I’m completely over it.
🍿🍿🍿

Raskin says it’s ‘worth investigating’ whether House members were drinking in hearing room | The Hill
“I didn’t see the drinking by the gentlelady from New Mexico, Melanie Stansbury raised it, she said there are members drinking in the room, and that’s something that is worth investigating if there was in fact drinking taking place,” Raksin said on Fox News.
Presumably CH3CH2OH, but that would explain a lot.

Noting "Dumpster fire" hearing spurs groans about Congress' new low
Rep. Melanie Stansbury (D-N.M.) complained at one point: "We have some members in the room who are drinking inside the hearing room ... who are not on this committee."

Van Jones rails against Greene after spat with Dems: ‘She’s a disgrace to that Congress’ | The Hill - the CNN commentator
“I think that the standard of conduct has been pulled down slow by some of these folks in Congress,” Jones said Friday in comments on CNN. “They go there ’cause they want to be celebrities. I’m talking about Marjorie Taylor Greene and others.”

“Why do we even know her name? Marjorie Taylor Greene has never passed a bill,” he continued in the panel interview, highlighted by Mediaite. “She’s never chaired a committee. She’s never done anything but be a provocateur and a clown and get under the skin of people and this kind of stuff that goes on.”

Following the incident, several committee members railed against the episode as “disgusting,” “embarrassing,” and a “middle school fight.”
🍿🍿🍿

And all they had to do was ignore the initial "eyelash" comment. If that was what started it. But no. No one can let it go. It's prevalent here. It's prevalent there. It's prevalent everywhere. Fucking children with no fucking self-control just can't fucking let it go. Just let that initial comment hang over the hearing and stuck in MTG's head for the remainder. That's it. They just do not know how good it feels, to let someone else's rudeness just hang in the air.
But it's not about advancing the dialogue. It's about winning the argument by whatever means necessary.
The rudeness of social media bleeds over into our everyday lives. I wish the govt would shitcan the lot of it. Every fucking social media icon at the bottom of this page so the fucktards can't yell at each other.

*At least I'll never spell prevalent wrong again.

And all they had to do was ignore the initial "eyelash" comment. If that was what started it. But no. No one can let it go. It's prevalent here. It's prevalent there. It's prevalent everywhere. Fucking children with no fucking self-control just can't fucking let it go. Just let that initial comment hang over the hearing and stuck in MTG's head for the remainder. That's it. They just do not know how good it feels, to let someone else's rudeness just hang in the air.
But it's not about advancing the dialogue. It's about winning the argument by whatever means necessary.
The rudeness of social media bleeds over into our everyday lives. I wish the govt would shitcan the lot of it. Every fucking social media icon at the bottom of this page so the fucktards can't yell at each other.

*At least I'll never spell prevalent wrong again.
The problem, to me, wasn't the comment. The comment was bad, sure. Disrespectful. It might be grounds in saner times and places to eject and censure.

The problem is in fact what happened in the committee immediately after that nobody here is talking about, namely the fact that they used this as cover to force a vote without having the forced vote against procedure, something which amounts to an illegal act by the committee chair and those who forced the vote, because this vote happened without discussion or amendment.

All these complete and utter fools in the media did their clown show to distract from the fact that a lion politician jumped into the crowd and mauled someone due process:

MTG, Trump, etc… All useful idiot distractions for the real power. They wouldn’t be the standard bearers of the GOP is Heritage and Heartland didn’t want them. Media is part of the game, keeping people focused on their antics while the real nasty policy happens in the background. Look at the McConnell-Ryan tax give away of 2017, changes to the judiciary, the virtual destruction of executive agencies. Now Heartland and Heritage are damn close to fully locking in their minority rule corporate oligarchy.

The drunken rant festival in the House Oversight Committee has become infamous. Here's a YouTube that puts more of that amazing demonstration of the post-rational American Congress than other clips do.

Comer, who complains that he has two hearing aids and barely knows Parliamentary rules anyway, doesn't seem to remember that if the words of MTG are "taken down" then she must be stifled for the remainder of the session.

That New Republic article linked to some tweets:

Senator John Fetterman on X: "In the past, I’ve described the U.S. House as The Jerry Springer Show.
Today, I’m apologizing to The Jerry Springer Show.
(pic link)" / X

"CNN: House committee meeting devolves into chaos as Greene and Ocasio-Cortez trade barbs"

AOC responded
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "I understand ..." / X
I understand you likely would not have stood up for your colleague and seem to be confused about racism and misogyny being a “both sides” issue.

But I stand up to bullies, instead of becoming one.

And to the women of Pennsylvania: I’d stand up for you too.

Enjoy your Friday.
To John Fetterman:
Veronica Escobar on X: "Women of color in congress ..." / X
Women of color in congress are frequently targeted by misogynistic, xenophobic, ignorant people. I’ve lived it.

One of the shameless extremists we work with insulted @JasmineForUS, and @AOC used parliamentary procedure to demand a standard of decorum.

There is no “both sides.”
To AOC:
Leah Greenberg on X: "all of this, but also: if I was mostly famous for my insistence on wearing gym shorts to formal events I'd probably take a beat before going Decorum Police on the women of color in my caucus" / X

Back
Top Bottom