• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Visualizing Continental Drift

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I've found a lot of maps and videos of continent positions over geological time, but I've had difficulty finding some visualization where one can look from any direction. I've written a "Globe Viewer" app, but it would need to be cleaned up before release, and I'd need some copy-permitted set of maps to release with it.

I've found GPlates but it's rather confusing and it seems designed for professional geologists.

Ancient Earth globe - a web-browser version of that kind of app, one that can go back 750 million years, well into the Proterozoic. One can also type in a city name and it will mark out that city's location on the globe display. It doesn't label its marker, however.

Algol's Continental Drift and I added countries - YouTube - with national flags painted onto the tectonic plates.

Algol's Continental Drift Remastered V2 - YouTube - colored by present-day continents

Continental Drift: 3.3 Billion Years - YouTube by Algol - colored by present-day continents

PALEOMAP Project Home Page and Christopher Scotese - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom