• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2 Must See Movies for People on This Forum

ryan

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
a little of everything
I highly recommend Cosmopolis and The Counselor, especially for people on this forum.

Tell me what you think.

Explain what you think the central theme to Cosmopolis is. I had to watch it twice to understand it.

I highly recommend Cosmopolis and The Counselor, especially for people on this forum.

Tell me what you think.

Explain what you think the central theme to Cosmopolis is. I had to watch it twice to understand it.

I have not watched The Counselor yet, but I saw Cosmopolis via screening. I loved that movie, even though it was critically panned. To me, it said so much about the current state of our society, a sort of post-techno/anachronistic world where the young are the new money and the middle aged become the new enemy trapped by the global market and cultural chaos. At least...that's what I took from it.

What were your thoughts?

Tell me what you think.

I have not watched The Counselor yet, but I saw Cosmopolis via screening. I loved that movie, even though it was critically panned. To me, it said so much about the current state of our society, a sort of post-techno/anachronistic world where the young are the new money and the middle aged become the new enemy trapped by the global market and cultural chaos. At least...that's what I took from it.

What were your thoughts?

Yeah, I got some of that too. But the second time watching it, I saw a much more specific moral to the story.

I believe it is really about the idea that some things can't be controlled, predicted or understood no matter how much intelligence and support we have. His arrogance and stubbornness to disregard the advice of his advisors and even his possible killer at the end causes his downward spiral and loss of control. He is eventually shown to be ignorant to the uncertain natures of the Chinese Yuan, his wife, the condition of the city, his bodyguard and the disgruntled employee at the end. He is even wrong about why the disgruntled employee wants to kill him; it wasn't for any rational or predictable reason. His arrogance and ignorance ultimately becomes his downfall.

Back
Top Bottom