• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

29 of 39 trapped miners rescued, remaining awaiting "alternative" solution

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
SUDBURY, ON - Of the 39 miners trapped in the Sudbury mine due to a catastrophic breakdown in the elevator system, 29 miners have been rescued through an arduous climb out of the mine, which included roughly 1000 meters of vertical ladder climbing. Rest stops were added for the climb every 100 vertical meters to help aid the miners in their very long climb to the surface.

However, 10 of the miners remain trapped in the mine due to differences in opinions with the rescuers. Main complaints were that the 1000 meter ladder plan would result in virtually no horizontal displacement, therefore, it likely wouldn't work. Some of the still trapped miners have requested medication to treat sickle cell anemia to be sent down to help them get out of the mine.

A former MMA athlete with dubious accomplishments presented counter-arguments on his Internet podcast where he questioned why the trapped miners would need to move vertically up out of the shaft nearly 1 mile, indicating that "other solutions" have to be available. "Look, I'm no geomatrician, but 1000 meters makes no sense. They can't be both 1000 meters and 3000 feet below the ground surface. Wouldn't you need to add those numbers together? I wouldn't even know where to start!" That man has millions of listeners.

Mine rescuers were hopeful that more talks with the remaining trapped miners would expedite and complete the rescue operation.

Back
Top Bottom