• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

46 PERCENT OF AMERICANS SAY THEIR FINANCIAL STATUS HAS STAYED THE SAME UNDER TRUMP, AND 21 PERCENT SAY IT'S DETERIORATED

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
https://www.newsweek.com/46-percent-americans-say-their-financial-status-has-stayed-same-under-trump-21-percent-say-its-1467361

Sixty-seven percent of Americans say their financial situation hasn't substantially improved since President Donald Trump took office, even as the longest recovery in U.S. history continues and the commander in chief touts his economic prowess.

While 46 percent of Americans surveyed for a Bankrate survey published on Wednesday said their economic situation was about the same as when Trump took office in January 2017, 21 percent said their situation has deteriorated. Thirty-two percent said that their economic situation had improved.

The survey illuminates some of the contradictions of the expansion, which has continued for 124 months. The U.S. recovery has been better than those experienced by other countries that suffered in the 2008 financial crisis even though it has proceeded slowly. Unemployment is at a 50-year low and the job market has experienced steady growth, but prior surveys have found that many people don't feel the country's economic improvement.

Your numbers show that on average people are helped.

Well, yeah.

EMOqk4gWwAEn92N

Your numbers show that on average people are helped.

I like the final statement in the article:
"When we dig down into some of these issues, there is the fact that many Americans see things through a political prism these days given the fractious environment in which we live," Hamrick told Newsweek.
I guess that's their margin of error. Current political divisiveness aside, people do not tell the truth about their financial situation.
Well, yeah.

EMOqk4gWwAEn92N

So people making next to nothing increased by 4.5%. Well I guess that's something.

Now I don't know about y'all but I find my financial status (bills, debt, savings) is largely dependent upon self-control. That is, can I refrain from spending my money on crap I don't really need? This has always been the case. Lyndon Johnson was not a determining factor on me blowing my allowance on Chunky candy bars and Hillbilly Juice and Donald Trump is not a determining factor in my replacing household items long before their due.
People reporting an improvement in their financial situation are likely reporting paper profits on retirement savings invested in the market. This is not real money yet. It's real money when it is pulled out of the market. I've heard time and again, comments from people in their late fifties and into their sixties with their retirement savings still in the stock market. Then a democrat becomes president. The market falls and a new crop of pissed off old people become Republicans. And so it goes.

I like the final statement in the article:

I guess that's their margin of error. Current political divisiveness aside, people do not tell the truth about their financial situation.
Well, yeah.

EMOqk4gWwAEn92N

So people making next to nothing increased by 4.5%. Well I guess that's something.

Now I don't know about y'all but I find my financial status (bills, debt, savings) is largely dependent upon self-control. That is, can I refrain from spending my money on crap I don't really need? This has always been the case. Lyndon Johnson was not a determining factor on me blowing my allowance on Chunky candy bars and Hillbilly Juice and Donald Trump is not a determining factor in my replacing household items long before their due.
People reporting an improvement in their financial situation are likely reporting paper profits on retirement savings invested in the market. This is not real money yet. It's real money when it is pulled out of the market. I've heard time and again, comments from people in their late fifties and into their sixties with their retirement savings still in the stock market. Then a democrat becomes president. The market falls and a new crop of pissed off old people become Republicans. And so it goes.

Many states have enacted higher minimum wages while the feds sit on their asses. I assume much of that low wage worker pay increase is due to that.

Back
Top Bottom