• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

American Mall Act

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
One of Yang's many policy ideas is to use federal money to convert abandoned malls (shut down due to Amazon etc) into community centres so they don't become dens of crime, etc.

I'm undecided on this one. Is that needed or is that a dumb idea?

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/american-mall-act/

Malls used to be a hub for socialization and commerce in many American communities. They were where families would go shopping for school supplies before grabbing dinner and catching a movie. Teens would have their first jobs working retail there and spend their Friday nights with friends. A local mall was an economic boon.

As e-commerce takes over a larger share of the retail market, many malls are closing down – 300 malls will close in the next 4 years and hundreds more will struggle, the windows shuttered, the doors locked, and the building abandoned. This sends a negative signal that the economy of the area is suffering. It also attracts criminal elements, who can squat in and vandalize these empty buildings without much interest from local law enforcement.

These giant spaces need to be revitalized in order to spur investment in the local economy and combat the sub/urban blight associated with the closing of a mall.

Moderately related...

A bill is being proposed to require online retailers that ship products to consumers to provide a "safe space" for their packages so as to combat the problem of package theft from in front of people's houses. Amazon responded by saying they were looking into providing more locker space options for customer pick-up, and that customers would also be able to choose additional products to purchase from those locations that have stock. Bill Maher commented on Amazon's response by saying, "You mean like fucking STORES!?!?"

One of Yang's many policy ideas is to use federal money to convert abandoned malls (shut down due to Amazon etc) into community centres so they don't become dens of crime, etc.
Funny, didn't malls cause the shut down of local stores? Regardless, in Akron, the long since failed Rolling Acres mall is becoming an Amazon distribution center. How poetic.

Funny, didn't malls cause the shut down of local stores? Regardless, in Akron, the long since failed Rolling Acres mall is becoming an Amazon distribution center. How poetic.

That will happen to a few failed malls. They are perfectly situated to be Amazon distribution centres. But Amazon won't need enough of them for that purpose, and there will still be plenty of failed and abandoned malls. So the question is what to do with them, if anything.

In my local area, lots of things are moving into the spaces. Spas, gaming, even charter schools. I haven't heard of any local malls becoming dens of iniquity. Is this a problem in other states?

In my local area, lots of things are moving into the spaces. Spas, gaming, even charter schools. I haven't heard of any local malls becoming dens of iniquity. Is this a problem in other states?
In Akron we had Rolling Acres, which has had issues for over a decade.

I'm undecided on this one. Is that needed or is that a dumb idea?
I don't know, but they can't ALL be used by Netflix to shoot retro fantasy shows.

Malls are dying? I see plenty of new malls being built here. It's just they are outdoor type malls rather than indoor malls. You can drive closer to the store you want to visit rather than a long walk through the parking lot and then a long walk through the mall.

That is the traditional way to do them, and traditional urban planning is back.

We minnesotans pioneered indoor malls because it gave us something to do in winter. This might also explain why our malls are not in as rough shape as other ones. Because we still go to them just to hang out in the winter.

Well, OUR mall is in bad shape because the sleazy out-of-state owner is a sleazebag. Nonpayment of taxes, rising rents, no efforts at development or advertising, roads in disrepair...
And a local reporter traveled to other cities where the same owner has other malls... All in similar shape or worse.

Luckily, they just sold our mall to a new out-of-state properties group... Who pretty much instantly failed to pay their next tax bill. Looks like a paperwork shuffle so sleazebag can stave off disaster a teeny bit longer.

Well, OUR mall is in bad shape because the sleazy out-of-state owner is a sleazebag. Nonpayment of taxes, rising rents, no efforts at development or advertising, roads in disrepair...
And a local reporter traveled to other cities where the same owner has other malls... All in similar shape or worse.

Luckily, they just sold our mall to a new out-of-state properties group... Who pretty much instantly failed to pay their next tax bill. Looks like a paperwork shuffle so sleazebag can stave off disaster a teeny bit longer.
The owner at the long defunct Rolling Acres Mall kept playing hardball with Akron. Not quite declaring bankruptcy, and pulling all sorts of maneuvers to keep their vacant mall in their hands, waiting for the right people to come in and give them magic money. Who'd think property moguls would be such jackasses? :thinking:

Back
Top Bottom