• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Android Tablet Garbage Toy

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
A rant.
Sometime back I bought a Dell venue 8 Tablet. I had a little WiMax modem I thought i could plug in and use in the USB port. No go, so it languished in a desk drawer. Now WiMax is dead and gone. But since I seem now to spend a fair amount of time in hosptical clinics, I hauled it out and tried to use it. Wifi is available. But this Android system (kitkat) has to be the most useless thing as far as OSs go. I have a 32 gig micro-SD card but I can't seem to use it. Yo cannot download anything and put it THERE.
Stuff trivially easy under Linux is impossible here! No easy two pane drag and drop, despite downloaded a dozen supposed 'file managers'. Can I thus easily get online to the Houston Public Library, download a PDF from JSTOR and read it and save it where I want? No! Brwosers seem to be missing major features, and loading stuff from a USB THUMBDRIVE TO WHERE I want it IS SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE! Android seems like a good idea but its a bust as it is. Despite supposed utilities that are supposed to fix permission problems baked into this, its a hard grind.

As far as I can see, this is meant to download and listen to crap pop music and bad TV and is all but useless for all else. Much less serious use beyond downloading the latest Spotify ear reaming pop music noise. Or latest lame TV show. I cannot download something from a browser and tell it SAVE IT HERE, ON MY EXTERNAL SD CARD YOU BASTARD!!!

Apparently I will have to root this little bastard and extensively modify its software to achieve simple easy tasks. Like backing up everything to a USB pendrive etc. I will never make fun of Windows again after battling this broken pile of software rat droppings.
If I root it I can download a primitive set of Linux like utilities and deal with crap from a command line like old fashioned Linux systems. Hey, its 1988 again!

The promise of this tablet was great, the disappointment in the reality greater still. Anybody else here disappointed by android tablet software lack of ability?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom