• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another GOP win--gutting the IRS

This is the least surprising thing. A party that has for at least 4 decades hammered the message that all taxes are bad has kneecapped the agency tasked with collecting taxes? Next thing you'll tell me water is wet.

Where it dips into dysfunction is that the GOP has taken Reagan's missive that "government is not the solution to your problem, government IS the problem" to the point where they're actively working to not just reign in the government, but destroy it. Shrink it to the point where it can be drowned in a bathtub, as the slogan goes. And if that isn't possible, then the next best thing is to make government completely incompetent on purpose. Starve the beast, disaster capitalism, whatever you want to call it the GOP is dedicated to making it a reality. They're not just unable to govern. They're proud of their inability to run things.

This is the least surprising thing. A party that has for at least 4 decades hammered the message that all taxes are bad has kneecapped the agency tasked with collecting taxes? Next thing you'll tell me water is wet.

Where it dips into dysfunction is that the GOP has taken Reagan's missive that "government is not the solution to your problem, government IS the problem" to the point where they're actively working to not just reign in the government, but destroy it. Shrink it to the point where it can be drowned in a bathtub, as the slogan goes. And if that isn't possible, then the next best thing is to make government completely incompetent on purpose. Starve the beast, disaster capitalism, whatever you want to call it the GOP is dedicated to making it a reality. They're not just unable to govern. They're proud of their inability to run things.

They certainly want to gut it's enforcement ability when it comes to the powerful. I don't think they want to gut it's national defense and they still want the laws to apply to the little guy.

This has been going on for years. Texas's own, Senator Phil Gramm was a champion of cutting funding to the IRS years ago. The IRS started losing the ability to deal with well heeled tax cheats, and Gramm, well he just smirked. Lack of ability to deal with rich tax cheats isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Google Phil Gramm's war on the IRS for more.

Back
Top Bottom