• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Archaeology And The Bible

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
A split from the anti-inerrancy thread.

Near Easter Archaeolgy is important. Over the last 50 years great progress has been made here that has essentially proven, the Penateuch and Joshua are not historical.

There was no Egyptian captivity. No exodus. No wandering in the desert. No camping at Kadesh-Barnea 38 years. No bloody and genocidal invasion of Canaan. And thus no Moses onthe Mount getting 613 laws from God.

The "hammer verses" of Leviticus 18 and 20 condemning homosexuality are not commands from God. These are lies from an ancient bigot priest some 2,700 years ago.

We may be on the verge of the right winged supreme court repealing nationwide legalization of same sex marriage. Based on an ancient lie that reaches down 2,700 years to destroy rights in the U.S.. This should be of concern to atheists, agnostices, Nones, Humanists, and religious believers who reject Bible literalism.

As I pointed out to Bria⁸n63, there is an excellent series of Youtube videos with Israel Finkelstein on the Bible and archaeology. Finkelstein is one of the world's formost archaeologists and historians of ancient Israel. This is an excellent series that brings us up to speed on the subject by a highly acclaimed expert on the subject.

I have a hip high collection of excellent books on the subject so I am very familiar with this subject. But since not everybody wants to buy a large pile of books, this series on Youtube is a good and trustworthy source of recent scholarship. It is a good series to refer others to.

We may soon be entering an era where we will have to fight religious based homophobia state by state.
So this is all important.

I am starting this thread for those not too lazy to do your home work, to do skeptic's due diligence.

There's also The Bible Unearthed documentary series based on his book of the same name, which can be viewed here,

Back
Top Bottom