• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are there people who can solve Rubik's cubes totally "instinctively"?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Basically, I guess I am asking if there are combination puzzle savants around.

What brain centers have to work together to make this happen?

I can understand how the solving algorithms work and can respect the skill, accuracy and labor put into making them, but natural solvers are a lot more fascinating to me.

Basically, I guess I am asking if there are combination puzzle savants around.

What brain centers have to work together to make this happen?

I can understand how the solving algorithms work and can respect the skill, accuracy and labor put into making them, but natural solvers are a lot more fascinating to me.

Long, long ago I worked out how to do the top and two rows of the sides of the cube. Enough repetition made the moves basically muscle memory, I didn't think about how to actually do them anymore. I know there are better solutions than what I derived.

Long LONG ago, you could unscrew one side (under the center tile of the yellow side, IIRC), and reassemble the cube, completed. They changed that design.

But back then, in The Before Time, you might take two cubes apart, scramble the pieces, and wait for someone to brag they could solve any cube in ten minutes (or whatever). Not recommended when in cars on the freeway or submarines, where escape was impossible, as absolutely no one would raise a finger in your defense.

Some people twigged quickly to the prank. Some never quite noticed the problem, they just kept repeating their solution, over and over, getting desperate and stressed. When it was explained to them, their retribution was swift and, like, prison-riot violent.

Long LONG ago, you could unscrew one side (under the center tile of the yellow side, IIRC), and reassemble the cube, completed. They changed that design.

But back then, in The Before Time, you might take two cubes apart, scramble the pieces, and wait for someone to brag they could solve any cube in ten minutes (or whatever). Not recommended when in cars on the freeway or submarines, where escape was impossible, as absolutely no one would raise a finger in your defense.

Some people twigged quickly to the prank. Some never quite noticed the problem, they just kept repeating their solution, over and over, getting desperate and stressed. When it was explained to them, their retribution was swift and, like, prison-riot violent.

You could do it with one cube.

Take the cube, rotate one face 45 degrees. Now the pieces in the center of the sides can be rotated towards the center and removed. Take one, remove it, flip it, replace it. The cube is now insolvable.

I would do that to my wife, but sleeping with one eye open isn't one of my skills.

I highly doubt that.
I devised my own algorithm , it's not very efficient but I could consistently do it in less than a minute.

Back
Top Bottom