• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Arthur Schlesinger 50-Year Corruption Cycle?

John Kaminar on Twitter: "Writing in “The Cycles of American History” in 1986, Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. noted that corruption in government historically has been much greater during conservative administrations than during progressive ones. #TrumpCrimeFamily" / Twitter

Arthur Schlesinger Jr.: "This priority of wealth over commonwealth naturally nourishes a propensity to corruption in government. When public purpose dominates, government tends to be idealistic. Idealists have many faults, but they rarely steal."

Liberal vs. Conservative - who is more corrupt?
  • R Harding
  • R Coolidge
  • R Hoover
  • D FDR
  • D Truman
  • R Eisenhower
  • D JFK
  • D LBJ
  • R Nixon
  • R Ford
  • D Carter
  • R Reagan
  • R Bush I
  • D Clinton
  • R Bush II
  • D Obama
  • R Trump

As a reminder, private equity stole a lot of residential America in the '08 crash. So there is likely no need to have a theft this time around as it already happened.

Why episodes of very bad corruption every 50 years? I'll speculate.

The political class, as it might be called, becomes very averse to anything that seems like very bad corruption after an episode of it. But as the years go by without any episode of it, that class gradually lets its guard down and it happens again.

The corruption occurs in different ways in different times, meaning that the political class has no way of anticipating it.

That is true of the Watergate era. That was an unprecedented kind of scandal, a President trying to cover up the crimes and misdeeds of his henchmen by interfering with investigations of those actions. I'm not sure that Teapot Dome was much different from US-Grant-era corruption, however.

Back
Top Bottom