• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Asian philosophical doctrines you like

rousseau

Contributor
I've studied Asian philosophy a bit and find it riddled with great ideas. A proper understanding of Karma is a good one, for instance.

This weekend, I was reading up on Taoism and came across Wu wei, which was new to me and I liked.

Generally, Asian religious thought seems like the set of ideas that would arise sans a central authority figure: how does one effectively live their lives in the context of everyday processes that people are exposed to?

Amazing that such great wisdom could come from ancient times.

Mohism is an under-exposed philosophy. Its a kind of pacifistic-synarchic doctrine. Its advocates became expert in building fortifications, because that was seen as the best way a pacifist could defend himself. Mo-zi was one of the big philosophical minds of the Spring and Autumn period, but is the least known today.

Asian philosophical doctrines. Confucianism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity. Whatever. Everyone's still eating each other so I don't think any historical philosophies say anything important.

That's a switch. Are you ok?

Thanks for asking. The reply was a part of my growing cynicism, part genuine response. But yea I guess a little bit of my frustration was showing there.

At the time of making the thread I was genuinely curious, but the more I look into world issues, global affairs, and the like, the more I'm convinced religions and religious philosophies have more to do with placebo than anything resembling true wisdom. When you have a predominant philosophy and your government is still committing human rights abuses, maybe your religion isn't so important or meaningful.

... the more I look into world issues, global affairs, and the like, the more I'm convinced religions and religious philosophies have more to do with placebo than anything resembling true wisdom. When you have a predominant philosophy and your government is still committing human rights abuses, maybe your religion isn't so important or meaningful.
Watching to see if wisdom changes all society is optional. In fact, screw that. As an anarchist, I've considered the charge: "you'll wait forever for 'the revolution' to happen". The solution was to live anarchically now, as much as I can, and wait on nothing.

The values most needed for human happiness are the ones people are most apt to reject: Simple living (knowing when enough is enough, which is much less than what most American consumers have); expanding the circle of moral regard beyond us and what seems useful to us; knowing the immense insignificance of one's self and one's kind compared to grander holisms; giving up on trying to control everything ... And so much else that doesn't jibe with acquisitive, competitive societal institutions.

The masses of compliant doofs will pick up their society's ugly ideals and not much question them. But wisdom seekers are quiet revolutionaries. You'll find your little coterie of likeminded revolutionaries, or live a lone but exciting quest. But society won't be following, and that doesn't need to be your burden.

I admire the quietism that is a trait in Taoism. Here's a story that conveys it, along with the ideal of simplicity:

"Zhuang Zi was a brilliant philosopher and strategist who lived in ancient China. His abilities were many and several rulers sought his services. One of them, King Wei, sent his courtiers out to Zhuang Zi’s pastoral home to invite him to come to Wei’s court and be the leader’s chief counselor. They found him there fishing by the river bank.

"Seeing his poor situation, they thought Zhuang Zi would jump at the chance for status and reward. Yet when they made their proposal to him, he said, "Once upon a time there was a sacred turtle, which was happy living his life in the mud. Yet, because he was sacred, the king’s men found him, took him to the royal palace, killed him and used his shell to foresee the future. Now tell me, would that turtle prefer to have given up his life to be honored at the palace, or would he rather be alive and enjoying himself in the mud?"

"The courtiers responded that, of course, the turtle would be happier in the mud.

"To which Zhuang Zi replied, "And so you have my answer. Go home and let me be a happy turtle here in the mud"."

(From the quote of the tale posted here: https://www.fastcompany.com/1809457/3-timeless-parables-regaining-perspective)

It doesn't seem, on the surface of it, like he's out to change the world. But then Zhuang Zi did write a book...

I won't neglect seeking some wisdom to live by on the grounds that most everyone else has. That makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
... the more I look into world issues, global affairs, and the like, the more I'm convinced religions and religious philosophies have more to do with placebo than anything resembling true wisdom. When you have a predominant philosophy and your government is still committing human rights abuses, maybe your religion isn't so important or meaningful.
Watching to see if wisdom changes all society is optional. In fact, screw that. As an anarchist, I've considered the charge: "you'll wait forever for 'the revolution' to happen". The solution was to live anarchically now, as much as I can, and wait on nothing.

The values most needed for human happiness are the ones people are most apt to reject: Simple living (knowing when enough is enough, which is much less than what most American consumers have); expanding the circle of moral regard beyond us and what seems useful to us; knowing the immense insignificance of one's self and one's kind compared to grander holisms; giving up on trying to control everything ... And so much else that doesn't jibe with acquisitive, competitive societal institutions.

The masses of compliant doofs will pick up their society's ugly ideals and not much question them. But wisdom seekers are quiet revolutionaries. You'll find your little coterie of likeminded revolutionaries, or live a lone but exciting quest. But society won't be following, and that doesn't need to be your burden.

I admire the quietism that is a trait in Taoism. Here's a story that conveys it, along with the ideal of simplicity:

"Zhuang Zi was a brilliant philosopher and strategist who lived in ancient China. His abilities were many and several rulers sought his services. One of them, King Wei, sent his courtiers out to Zhuang Zi’s pastoral home to invite him to come to Wei’s court and be the leader’s chief counselor. They found him there fishing by the river bank.

"Seeing his poor situation, they thought Zhuang Zi would jump at the chance for status and reward. Yet when they made their proposal to him, he said, "Once upon a time there was a sacred turtle, which was happy living his life in the mud. Yet, because he was sacred, the king’s men found him, took him to the royal palace, killed him and used his shell to foresee the future. Now tell me, would that turtle prefer to have given up his life to be honored at the palace, or would he rather be alive and enjoying himself in the mud?"

"The courtiers responded that, of course, the turtle would be happier in the mud.

"To which Zhuang Zi replied, "And so you have my answer. Go home and let me be a happy turtle here in the mud"."

(From the quote of the tale posted here: https://www.fastcompany.com/1809457/3-timeless-parables-regaining-perspective)

It doesn't seem, on the surface of it, like he's out to change the world. But then Zhuang Zi did write a book...

I won't neglect seeking some wisdom to live by on the grounds that most everyone else has. That makes no sense at all.

Good post, thanks, and I agree.

This fabulous thing has happened to me in the couple years where I've recognized I can do whatever I want, think whatever I want, perceive my life however I want, spend time with whoever, etc.. with no boundaries whatsoever.

For the earlier part of my life I spent so much time wondering why I wasn't like others I knew, until I saw that those I worried about didn't have much of anything figured out either. After you realize that, charting your own path is true freedom.

I do seek out wisdom and *I* do find value in philosophy, there is loads there, I only just note that there seems to be a disconnect between the common epistemological framework people live in, and the true value of moral frameworks. Ideas are only really worthwhile to people with the ability to understand and internalize them. Luckily, as a person with the ability to understand and internalize them.. the sky's the limit.

Last edited:

Sorry, but I don't find this as an example of wisdom. Like with the vast majority of ancient quotes, just more for children to digest.

I've actually been listening to a bit of Alan Wattz lately, I think the people who sell Buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion are on the right track. Buddhism is an old religion and some spiritual elements have worked its way into the numerous incarnations, but the base teachings are still largely timeless and can be taken without being required to also buy into a bunch of other bullshit. I also feel Buddhism may make for a good means of countering modernist nihilism. Since it's a philosophy that teaches people not to stress over change, since it's constant and inevitable no matter what you do, so it just makes more sense to go with the flow and try to have a good time. I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist by any stretch, but what I have read and heard has helped me in a way that no therapist or "Guidance Councillor" ever really did. Its the only 'religion' that seems to offer any real kind of closure and acceptance for the infinite unknown.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqE1BLvISI[/YOUTUBE]

The video doesnt necessarily relate to the above words but I like this speech in particular.

Since it's a philosophy that teaches people not to stress over change, since it's constant and inevitable no matter what you do, so it just makes more sense to go with the flow and try to have a good time.
It depends on what the change is.

Back
Top Bottom