• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Asteroid Day 2020

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Today is Asteroid Day:
Asteroid Day is a dynamic awareness and educational program to inspire the world about asteroids – their role in the formation of our solar system, how we can use their resources, how asteroids can pave the way for future exploration and finally how we can protect our planet from asteroid impacts. Asteroid Day events are held on 30 June each year to mark the anniversary of the 1908 Tunguska impact. Asteroid Day events are largely independently organized around the world for people of all ages and are mostly free-of-charge. Asteroid Day is a program run by the Asteroid Foundation, a Luxembourg nonprofit organization.
This day is the 112th anniversary of the  Tunguska event, a huge explosion over the middle of Siberia that is still not very well-understood. I've seen hypotheses about it ranging from an asteroid or a comet to a gas eruption, a mini black hole, a chunk of antimatter, and even the crash of an extraterrestrial spaceship.

A few years back, I wrote a story that was inspired by that latter hypothesis:

Today is Asteroid Day:
Asteroid Day is a dynamic awareness and educational program to inspire the world about asteroids – their role in the formation of our solar system, how we can use their resources, how asteroids can pave the way for future exploration and finally how we can protect our planet from asteroid impacts. Asteroid Day events are held on 30 June each year to mark the anniversary of the 1908 Tunguska impact. Asteroid Day events are largely independently organized around the world for people of all ages and are mostly free-of-charge. Asteroid Day is a program run by the Asteroid Foundation, a Luxembourg nonprofit organization.
This day is the 112th anniversary of the  Tunguska event, a huge explosion over the middle of Siberia that is still not very well-understood. I've seen hypotheses about it ranging from an asteroid or a comet to a gas eruption, a mini black hole, a chunk of antimatter, and even the crash of an extraterrestrial spaceship.

A few years back, I wrote a story that was inspired by that latter hypothesis:

Given that it's 2020, I assume a giant asteroid is going to hit us today.

Back
Top Bottom