• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breathing through our assholes

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
So apparently Japanese researchers have discovered that pigs can get oxygen through their gastrointestinal tract and that can come up their rectums. They apparently managed to get a pig with impaired lungs and shot an oxygenated fluid up the wazoo. And it worked! Human trials may happen soon. This could help COVID victims who can’t get to a proper hospital in time.

Science advances!

So apparently Japanese researchers have discovered that pigs can get oxygen through their gastrointestinal tract and that can come up their rectums. They apparently managed to get a pig with impaired lungs and shot an oxygenated fluid up the wazoo. And it worked! Human trials may happen soon. This could help COVID victims who can’t get to a proper hospital in time.

Science advances!

Why do you say "can't get to a proper hospital in time"? This very well might be preferable to the use of a ventilator.

I can even see a possible use by NASA. Human skin actually tolerates vacuum fine, you just need to support the body against swelling. You need a pressurized helmet but if you can seal that against the skin adequately you can otherwise wear a non-pressurized suit. A non-pressurized suit means you don't have air pressure around the joints causing big headaches in bending said joints. Breathing becomes a big issue, though--maintaining the required pressure as the chest rises and falls is AFIAK an unsolved problem. If you can stick your air supply up your ass, though, you don't need the chest to rise and fall and you can lower the air pressure in the helmet, making the seal easier to handle. (You do introduce the problem of maintaining the proper pressure yet allowing flexibility of the suit over the joints, though.)

Considering that there are humans who can talk out of their butts, it should be no surprise that pigs can breath through theirs.

I could imagine divers using this technique. They could purge their intestines of everything then fill it up with this liquid. Then go down deep, do some work, then come qyuickly back up, all without carrying bulky equipment. I wonder how long the air in their intestines will last?

Another question. If I'm walking in Myrtle Beach and collapse from sunstroke, and Lindsey Graham gives me CPR, is that an example of "breathing through our assholes?"

I could imagine divers using this technique. They could purge their intestines of everything then fill it up with this liquid. Then go down deep, do some work, then come qyuickly back up, all without carrying bulky equipment. I wonder how long the air in their intestines will last?

Wouldn't work--you need to keep reoxygenating it.

I think that’s unknown. Not sure how long it will last. Hasn’t been tried.

This article says they replaced the Oxygen once an hour: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-via-their-rectum-so-humans-probably-can-too/

I think that’s unknown. Not sure how long it will last. Hasn’t been tried.

This article says they replaced the Oxygen once an hour: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-via-their-rectum-so-humans-probably-can-too/

Hadn't seen that time bit--looks even more useful!

Update: The time bit is deceptive--the pigs weren't getting all their oxygen that way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom