• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CALLING ALL SNOOPY FANS

I'm a Vince Guaraldi purist. We don't need happy, fluffy music in all children's programming. Guaraldi set the mood for Peanuts. It complimented the art. It took a child's imagination to a very different place. This is important. These are the seeds of creativity. They should not be dulled down with sameness.
I see in this trailer the dull sameness I see in much of children's programming. I'll hold any further criticisms in abeyance.

We All Live in a Constant State of Failure and Dread, Charlie Brown

http://www.vice.com/read/we-all-live-in-a-constant-state-of-existential-dread-charlie-brown

​When I tell people that I love Charles Schulz's great, long-lasting, hugely influential comic strip Peanuts, the response is generally a sort of half-chuckle, half-shrug. It's like I'm admitting to being into model trains, repairing my own shoes, or visiting all the state capitals. It's seen as a sort of senior citizen-ish interest that is a bit eccentric but ultimately harmless. And I understand that reaction, because, hey, Peanuts is lame. Comic strips have an air of Middle American schlock about them anyway. And thanks to all those holiday specials and all that fucking merchandise, the characters have become a little more than another set of logos you can choose to adorn yourself with.

So yeah, Peanuts is a commercial property like nearly every other comic strip that has trickled into the popular consciousness. And it's also part of a cartooning tradition that few people give a shit about these days (when was the last time you read a newspaper comics page?). That is to say, OK, I realize that when the trailer for the new Peanuts movie came out this week it looked like pretty much every other clip from every other computer-animated kids film that's heavy on whimsy and spectacle. But Peanuts at it's best wasn't about fun or the power of the imagination. It was about how the world is a grim place where you fail over and over again, and then you die.

snoopy-is-joe-cool-peanuts-254005_1024_768.jpg

I loved the Peanuts as a kid. Looking forward to the movie just to see how it's done. That said, I did not like the rendition they did of Seuss's Cat in the Hat. However, I loved Horton Hears a Who and The Lorax! Let's see what they do with Schultz work.

Back
Top Bottom