• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can a mathematical reason why song made me "Joe Cocker" be found?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
From about 9:00 to 10:40 of this song had me play "air one man band" like how Joe Cocker sings and almost break a few glasses in the kitchen.

It almost seems like the parts have in some ways a lot of distance from each other and are also wrapping into each other.

I only heard this song a couple months ago, but it is similar to song I heard as a kid (which were already old then).

Of course the preceding my
Inutes lay some framwork as to what the tension background is.

I think the reason could possibly be more herbal than mathematical.

That song does seem to have a hint of the instrumental parts (1:10 - 5:40) of a really old (1960s) Doors tune, Light My Fire. But the Doors have a bit more production value.

Last edited:
Ok, I think it has to do with each of the musical parts dealing with the "tension" in different ways. One playing almost backwards against the tension, one letting go on trilly runs (using the backed up tension of the other part?) and then running out of gas at just the optimum time.

If I listen too many times to figure it out I am gonna pull a bicep air drumming and guitaring.

This must be explainable in some mathematical way.

I am using tension not just for musical pitch but also syncopation.

In composition there are well known techniques to create tension and other feelings. There is no theory connecting music to brain, but the cause and emotional effect relations with music structure are well known.

The first Star Wars movie would have gone nowhere without the music evoking emotions. I heard it said a good musical score should be felt not heard.

The Rolling Stones used syncopation. The Grateful Dead used counterpoint, simultaneously playing unrelated melodies that sound good and interesting together. That was Bach.

Music has long been a science. From a music theory view all music is the same.

In blue grass music a break down is a certain chord change that makes you feel like your gut is dropping, like a plane loosing altitude. Foggy Mountain Breakdown by Earl and Scruggs.

BTW his voice was due to an accident I believe.

Right now I am at the Seattle Art Fair and I see lots of pieces that are multi patterned and also that change according to your optical viewpoint and so on. This can be described as to why this tension and harmony is pleasing

The same should be possible for music. But in a fundamental, unequivocal manner not in a soft science way.

I wouldn't look for any objective reason you're drawn to it. It's subjective, look inside yourself.

I don't agree that the Doors have more production value, they're just a better band. IMO

This is under aesthetics in philosophy. Interaction between art and the observer.

The Doors were a house band for years before becoming known. They worked at it. Same with the Beatles, they spent years working on craft,.

To me art is communication. True music is crafted to invoke a feeling. Rock and roll, swing, boogie express different rytms and beats relating to emotions,

I am saying that in the section I pointed out there is both the right amount of "space" (think of some sort of phase space) between each of the players that are not stepping on each others toes and also they are able to compress through some sort of bottleneck that I am understanding through proprioception. If this balance was off by a small amount I would not have had any crazy reaction.

Looking at some of the Art tonight there was a red painted piece that had a sort of recursive layering to it. The surface was curved, the paint swaths were curved. And also banded. It was lacquered and the band's would shimmer like sharkskin at different angles.

More or less curvature or thinner bands would possibly make it look like garbage. But why?

Syncopation can intentionally create tension. You will not hear the technique directly but you will feel it.

The Rolling Stones with their aggressive music evokes testosterone in males. It is not by chance it is by design. A guitarist can pick notes slightly before or after the beat.

Listen to some of James Brown. The beat 'on the one'.

As to creating space, the star wars music. It is all technique studied in music composition. I started to study music way back in the early 70s. What ever drove the music students I knew I did not have.

Some music makes you relax. Some gets you sexually aroused. Who knows why, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom